Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The reason this means so much

• 2 posts
    August 24, 2016 10:00 AM PDT

I realized the main reason, the solid philosophy and foundation as to why games like this are so important, and so antiquated with the younger generation when I read Brad's reply in the reddit AMA--

"I think what I meant was that, while Pantheon's foundation is built upon principles established long ago in MUDs, in the first successful MMOs, etc ... The foundation is there now so that we can build on top of it all sorts of new ideas, features, and mechanics. If one of these features turns out to not be appealing we can, if necessary, remove that feature and the game remains intact and healthy -- it is not a house of cards -- that's why the foundation is so important."

There's a core concept that began unshakeable in EQ, and I imagine, Pantheon.  The ideas build around it, on top of it, are finite and changeable.  The closer to the core concept they are, the harder they are to change without big waves.  But the core concept is concrete.  It's a concept that requires US to change, not the game to change, in order to get to the real treasures.  It requires US to be humbled, to build true resolve, in order to get further into the secret of the experience.  

It does NOT budge or waver due to moaning from the community, or alter difficulties or add new content that would in any way affect its core concept to appease the masses.  It invites us to conquer, to face difficulties that aren't fit for lighter, ADD gamers.  It does not become flavor-of-the-month to swim with popular votes, or gain maximum subscriptions in the widest demographic.  It remains true and does not bury its truth in excess bloat or false economies, or pay-to-win schemes.

The game itself is a promise, and that's what draws us in.  That's what creates the immersion.  That's what makes us scream, cry, celebrate and trek on.  We are adventuring deeper and deeper into a truly unnameable experience, and this is where all of the magic emanates from.

I see you, Brad.  And I applaud your undying vision.

• 644 posts
    August 24, 2016 11:25 AM PDT

If you remember that is how EQ started - the game was launched "incomplete" but it was being developed based upon the users.  Things were changed as the gameplaye evolved.

The game features were added/removed/modified as they went along.

• 363 posts
    August 24, 2016 2:45 PM PDT

As long as any and all changes make shamans > all others, it's cool.  :P  

But seriously, yeah, shamans rule...

• 205 posts
    August 24, 2016 3:54 PM PDT
    Brad's ama gave some cool new background type of information. I recommend people reading the entire thing.
    • 22 posts
    August 24, 2016 4:47 PM PDT

The leadership behind Pantheon having such a clear vision and purpose for this game is one of the greatest boons for development. Time and again projects rise and then fall because of a lack of trust and firm belief behind what they want to produce in the end.

I am comfortable putting my support behind Pantheon because, much like the OP, I feel a connection and certain understanding of what Brad and the Pantheon team want to achieve with this game.

• 430 posts
    August 24, 2016 5:05 PM PDT

I know for me I am thankful that Brad decided to make another Mmorpg , No game since Everquest felt as in depth or made one feel so into ones character . Factions/languages/class uniqueness /community hubs/meaninful death/vast lands/ the list could on for pages , sometimes things from the past were far better of a experience then things from our present . Not to say things now are not good just perhaps old school was not so bad after all :):):) . 

This post was edited by Shea at August 24, 2016 5:06 PM PDT
    • 432 posts
    August 25, 2016 8:21 AM PDT

we can build on top of it all sorts of new ideas, features, and mechanics.

That's my favorite part of that whole quote.

-Todd

• 781 posts
    August 25, 2016 9:05 AM PDT

Anistosoles said:

As long as any and all changes make shamans > all others, it's cool.  :P  

But seriously, yeah, shamans rule...

/agree :)   Shamans !

• 2 posts
    August 25, 2016 9:57 AM PDT

Haha, that they do!  Yeah, the freedom to be so flexible while not altering the central "pull" that brought us here, that's gold.  Er... platinum.

• 613 posts
    August 25, 2016 10:29 AM PDT

DrBrewski said:

The leadership behind Pantheon having such a clear vision and purpose for this game is one of the greatest boons for development. Time and again projects rise and then fall because of a lack of trust and firm belief behind what they want to produce in the end.

I am comfortable putting my support behind Pantheon because, much like the OP, I feel a connection and certain understanding of what Brad and the Pantheon team want to achieve with this game.

I agree with you here.  The connection is a strong one too( A Star Wars reference pops into mind here) .  Most of us cut our teeth on EQ and has stuck with us.  The VR team is deticated and has a clear goal.  Way to many IPs fall or go sideways due to that fact.  Look at BDO/DBG for a great examples of what not to do. 

Ox

This post was edited by Oxillion at August 25, 2016 10:29 AM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    August 25, 2016 11:06 AM PDT

Bringerz said: Brad's ama gave some cool new background type of information. I recommend people reading the entire thing.

Thank you :) As mentioned elewhere we plan on using it and other documents to update the FAQ soon.