Forums » The Dark Myr

All hail your new underlords! Class speculation?

• 139 posts
    August 22, 2016 11:04 AM PDT

The 'Dread Myr'; "Out of their own way, the Dark Myr of Syronai would perhaps become a contemporary of Thronefast -- even its chief rival. But their native beauty, valor and nobility have rusted down to bitter ornaments. A vast disdain for other races lurks beneath their tranquil surface, calling none friend and few honored as foe. Their ferocity in battle is as ancient as their their heralded origin, while their tall, slender form and ghostly eyes cast an unmistakable presence. Dark Myr ambitions are a pregnant mystery, their kingdom quietly advancing on land and sea."

I welcome my new fishy underlords and am super excited about potentially maining this race. 100 swim start? Yes pls. Racial enduring breath? Yes pls. Racially crafted/quested Trident? Yes pls! Underwater racial city?! Yes plz!! What classes would you like to see pop out of these guys? What do you think makes sense? Thoughts on biology? General praise of your new underlords also welcome!

I am still torn on their main type of fighter, but I have considered the following:

Likely:

• Cleric, based off of Siren history in other worlds. (I do realize it is another game/world and not applicable, BUT... :P) All spells safe use underwater (generally).
    • Crusader, If Cleric, then Crusader? Their 'warriors' were using tridents, typically 2hp. All spells safe under water (generally).
    • Dire Lord, they are angry, bitter, and their "beauty, valor and nobility have rusted down to bitter ornaments... and in their home "there is an unsettling current that runs through the deep places, where the Dark Myr have descended like the ancient leviathans they were born to destroy." I think they could potentially be placing their anger in all the right places. All spells safe under water (generally).
    • Shaman, If no Cleric, then no Crusader, then Shaman. Can see it fitting their natural world, maybe not considering their "lore conception". I think spells are mostly safe as they are generally poison, disease, and cold based. Would complement the Dire Lord.
    • Warrior, primary fighting force? Maybe? If Crusader and Dire Lord there may be no warrior... But there better be a trident!
    • Rogue, tall and slender, can deduce a natural agility, especially in water... Trident backstab pls!
    • Enchanter, based off of Siren history in other worlds. More importantly, everything is safe use under water (generally).

Less likely:

• Summoner, If Enchanter, then Summoner? I think less likely because of their probable use of fire.
    • Wizard, if Enchanter, then Wizard? I think less likely because of their probable use of fire.

Not likely:

• Ranger, track could be done underwater via smell, but bows are less likely unless they use a spear gun variant.
    • Monk, blades are more effective under water than punching, period. Only a few creatures under water use blunt force to hunt and those that do use more pneumanic or spring loaded approach.
    • Druid, fire and lightning based attacks generally... Doesn't really apply outside of a few creatures that act like 'sea tasers'.

This post was edited by Rogue at August 22, 2016 11:07 AM PDT
    • 252 posts
    September 4, 2016 9:01 PM PDT

Rogue said:

• Ranger, track could be done underwater via smell, but bows are less likely unless they use a spear gun variant.

Here, let me fix that for you friend:

• Ranger, track could be done underwater via smell sonar  !!!!

How cool would it be to see and hear a Ranger Dark Myr emitting a clicking sound and watching water compression waves pulsing from them while they are tracking underwater?!

• 139 posts
    September 8, 2016 8:57 PM PDT

Sonar... Would be awesome. This must happen.

• 49 posts
    December 13, 2016 2:26 PM PST

Maaaaan I was hoping for a Dark Myr Mage ... maybe a Necro when or if they get released. I do wish for a spooky looking mage.

• 696 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:36 AM PST

CreepySneed said:

Maaaaan I was hoping for a Dark Myr Mage ... maybe a Necro when or if they get released. I do wish for a spooky looking mage.

Gee, lol i wonder why /snicker :))

• 4401 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:49 AM PST

I'm gonna fall back on my suggestion/hope that Race has a quite significant effect on the way a Class plays. I would be very disappointed if it only affected the way you look, the city you start in, the armor you wear, and maybe have a handful of Racial abilities that you can use no matter what Class you play. In my opinion, Race should make a very noticeable difference on the majority of spells you cast just the overall feel of the class. Therefore, Wizard and Summoner should not be out of the question simply because traditional Wizards of other races sometimes use fire spells. Who's to say that Dark Myr Wizards just wouldn't have access to fire spells and would instead have more powerful water-based spells? If you think about it logically, Wizards, Warriors, etc. of different races are going to be influenced by their respective cultures in the things they learn and the way they implement them. I think it's very simple-minded to always think that Classes have to be so rigid, and they should always do everything the same no matter what Race they are.

• 152 posts
    January 3, 2017 12:43 PM PST

Would say for sure Mages that specialize in water pets? I would do this class for sure

Summoner, Wizard, Warrior, Cleric, Dire Lord, Rogue and Enchanter is my guess

• 1909 posts
    January 3, 2017 3:25 PM PST

Hoping for druids. It's my wife's favorite race and class.

• 4401 posts
    January 4, 2017 10:04 AM PST

Portalgun said:

Summoner, Wizard, Warrior, Cleric, Dire Lord, Rogue and Enchanter is my guess

I'd say this is very likely to be true.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 4, 2017 10:04 AM PST
    • 152 posts
    January 4, 2017 3:15 PM PST

If we do get another class thrown into the mix, like druid as Beefcake suggests or ranger maybe, I would be so happy, though I can see why the devs might want to restrict certain class.race combos

If forests etc on land can have rangers and druids that protect them, maybe the Dark Myr could have their watery druid and ranger protectors too? A couple of slightly different spells for land and for water classes maybe? Nothing too major of course, but just enough to set them apart slightly?

• 1909 posts
    January 4, 2017 3:47 PM PST

Merman rangers should fight with trident and net.

• 1909 posts
    January 4, 2017 3:49 PM PST

I can see the names of merman monk attacks...

Strike Like a Salmon

Flop as a Whale

Leap Upstream

Crouching Crab, Hidden Eel.

• 4401 posts
    January 5, 2017 11:17 AM PST

Portalgun said:

If we do get another class thrown into the mix, like druid as Beefcake suggests or ranger maybe, I would be so happy, though I can see why the devs might want to restrict certain class.race combos

If forests etc on land can have rangers and druids that protect them, maybe the Dark Myr could have their watery druid and ranger protectors too? A couple of slightly different spells for land and for water classes maybe? Nothing too major of course, but just enough to set them apart slightly?

Druid maybe. I'm curious to see how VR handles physics underwater. I think that projectiles underwater might be a little too strange to make Rangers work. I dont wanna get into the whole debate about whether Rangers should be primarily archers or two-weapon fighters. But the fact is that in order for Dark Myr Rangers to be a thing, practical underwater projectiles (bows/arrows, throwing spears, etc.) must also be a thing. Personally, I can't really see it. Not to say that it should be impossible to shoot a bow underwater. Cause it's not. But I don't think it's a viable enough form a combat to warrant an entire class of Rangers. A water-focused Druid that protects the reefs could be interesting though.

Side note: Dark Myr is such a unique race a lot of arguments could be made for their classes. It's anybody's guess. But is it even acceptable for a race to have so many more class options than the Ogre, for example, which may only have 3? I like having plenty of options, trust me. Perhaps a better solution would be to try to come up with logical reasons to give Ogres more classes haha. But I'm not sure. Something to think about...

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 5, 2017 11:20 AM PST
    • 1909 posts
    January 5, 2017 12:56 PM PST

Some classes will only have a few. Some will have many. Humans, probably the most.

Although sep underwater combat would be cool, I doubt it will be more than an atmosphere.

• 185 posts
    January 15, 2017 1:51 AM PST

I would be very interested to see how a Dark Myr bard would be interpreted.  An angry battle bard.

• 3249 posts
    May 22, 2017 9:13 AM PDT

Looking forward to playing a Dark Myr enchanter,   (dare we ask that they can have an underwater pet like a shark...ooh maybe even a Great White?)  :)

• 262 posts
    June 23, 2017 12:20 PM PDT

I can't wait to see this race in action eventually.  My imagination is wild just from the concept art.  Need more, please.  Lore, art... something.  ;)