Forums » The Summoner

Pet Trainer

• 14 posts
    August 5, 2016 7:25 AM PDT

One of the skills I would like to see if the ablity to train and devlop pet training skills, like stay, hold, pull, cast spells, fetch?  etc

I think the more a character develops skills to their class the more professional they are and more they develop pride in their class.  It would be cool if you as a pet owner were on the hook for total care of your pet and if you can not control him on raids due to your training skills you should not have him there.

Thoughts?

Godzilla

• 326 posts
    August 5, 2016 11:53 PM PDT

Interesting idea. I am not sure how it would work mechanically but you could sell me on the idea of pet classes needing to raise "pet control" abilities the same way a warrior needs to increase slashing and piercing skills. 

• 1913 posts
    August 9, 2016 7:45 PM PDT

I like the idea, and you have to choose which  between pet skills you want to increase at every 3-5 levels or so.

Along these lines it would be interesting to bring back the old mechanic where  pets would sometimes go rogue. There was a time when as a mage you had a pet, everythig was fine then suddenly, the pet starts bashing you! or triggered where if you cast AoE spells and hit the pet, after a certain time the pet would "feel" it and turn on you.  Or pet would get charmed by a monster and when charm wore off, the pet would forget everything and wander until they saw their creator mage and would charge the mage with a  vengance.

Only with pet skill like "obedience" or "discipline" at- at least 3 out of 5 for instance- would prevent the pet from turning on you 75% of the time. That way if on a raid, only the pet ownwer would have to deal with the consequences of dealing with the rogue pet- they would have to "time-out" themselves from the raid or let themselves die so as to not disturb the raid.

• 194 posts
    August 27, 2016 9:58 AM PDT

godzilla said:

One of the skills I would like to see if the ablity to train and devlop pet training skills, like stay, hold, pull, cast spells, fetch?  etc

I think the more a character develops skills to their class the more professional they are and more they develop pride in their class.  It would be cool if you as a pet owner were on the hook for total care of your pet and if you can not control him on raids due to your training skills you should not have him there.

Thoughts?

Godzilla

In EQ 1 Pets could stay in place and would sit where you told them to stay in the zone they would not move unless they were attacked by a mob. So you could be clear across the zone and they pet would stay put.

I'm pasting this from my previous post as I think your asking the same from your other post. Air pets in EQ 1 had stun, Fire pets had a fire damage shield, Water pets back stabbed mobs when placed behind the mob. Earth pets would root the mob in place. So they had some abilities along with the armor and weapons you could give them. I would like to see this same concept visited in pantheon.

EQ 1 pets did have stats etc but as a Summoner you couldn't individually manage them. They automatically increased either with new pet spell or the weapons and armor you could equip them with. There were also focus items that could increase the power of your pet when you summoned them. You had to have the item equipped. In EQ 1 you had the shovel, for earth pet, broomstick for air pet, torch for fire, and a drinking stein for water pets. These focus items would increase the power hps of the pets.

As a Summoner your not feeding and caring for a pet...your summoning from the plane of fire, air, earth, water. These are summoned creatures to do the bidding of the Summoner. As a Summoner you have complete control because you brought them into existence on your plane.
    I would not like the feature of losing control of a summoned elemental.

Enchanters however already incorporate the idea of the pet turning on you. So this is a concept that can be incorporated into pantheon for sure. I could see this used for mabey another class but not the Summoner.

Its and interesting idea for sure :)