Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Quests - repeatable quests?

• 23 posts
    July 24, 2016 12:05 AM PDT

I would prefer if there were NO repeatable quests. 

One thing that really bugged me about EQ in questing is most of the quests can be redone any number of times - sometimes this is involves killing the same boss mob OVER and OVER again. This is a total immersion killer for me. People shouldn't be abusing quests for items to sell (screwing up the player economy) and xp anyway. 

Sorry if this was already discussed.

• 763 posts
    July 24, 2016 8:37 AM PDT

Repeatable quests (tasks really) should be available for as long as the conditions that support them are in place, and no longer.

Eg:

Quest:

Deliver 4 wolf-tails to NPC (headman of Village) to receive

Reward = '12 copper' and '+25 village faction' '-40 Goblin_Riders faction'.

OR

Deliver 8 MQ Wolf-pelts and 16 silver pieces to NPC (Village Tailor) to receive:

Reward = 'Medium Wolfskin Coat' snd '+100 village faction' '-240 Goblin_Riders faction'.

Conditions: 

While Wolf population in local area exceeds (some value) then, if Headman is 'hailed' his reply will include '... and we are troubled by the local wolves. We suspect they are being bred for some purpose, but, in any case they are attacking our herds and scaring the villagers. The few we managed to kill have been useful for making Wolfskin Coats for winter, but they are too dangerous for us to hunt.

Replying with the underlined words will explain the Quest conditions.

If wolf population drops below (some value) for 7 days in a row, the Headman's speech will not offer the Quest. The quest will be restarted only if Wolf population rises above (some value) for 3 consecutive days.

End Quest

This quest offers NO EXP and almost no direct cash. It is like early EQ quests in that it offers something for PC to do for the local area.

This version is also dynamic, responding to players actions (for Eg by over-farming the wolf population). This may also be tied into another quest which deals with the local Golblins who are training these Wolves for riding,.... they are actually Dire Wolves. Killing too many will cause local Goblin patrols to heighten while they investigate the lack of wolves etc

• 202 posts
    July 24, 2016 8:42 AM PDT

Evoras said:

Repeatable quests (tasks really) should be available for as long as the conditions that support them are in place, and no longer.

Eg:

Quest:

Deliver 4 wolf-tails to NPC (headman of Village) to receive

Reward = '12 copper' and '+25 village faction' '-40 Goblin_Riders faction'.

OR

Deliver 8 MQ Wolf-pelts and 16 silver pieces to NPC (Village Tailor) to receive:

Reward = 'Medium Wolfskin Coat' snd '+100 village faction' '-240 Goblin_Riders faction'.

Conditions: 

While Wolf population in local area exceeds (some value) then, if Headman is 'hailed' his reply will include '... and we are troubled by the local wolves. We suspect they are being bred for some purpose, but, in any case they are attacking our herds and scaring the villagers. The few we managed to kill have been useful for making Wolfskin Coats for winter, but they are too dangerous for us to hunt.

Replying with the underlined words will explain the Quest conditions.

If wolf population drops below (some value) for 7 days in a row, the Headman's speech will not offer the Quest. The quest will be restarted only if Wolf population rises above (some value) for 3 consecutive days.

End Quest

This quest offers NO EXP and almost no direct cash. It is like early EQ quests in that it offers something for PC to do for the local area.

This version is also dynamic, responding to players actions (for Eg by over-farming the wolf population). This may also be tied into another quest which deals with the local Golblins who are training these Wolves for riding,.... they are actually Dire Wolves. Killing too many will cause local Goblin patrols to heighten while they investigate the lack of wolves etc

I really like that!, Like I was thinking the same thing but could not figure out how to put it into words. kudos to you =)

I always like the more dynamic stuff but feels like it would take a-lot of work to code that into a lot of the repeatable quests.

• 200 posts
    July 24, 2016 9:02 AM PDT

Evoras said:

I like it! :)

But here the devs should be very careful. Permanent wolf killing could create an endless goblin army, which will overrun every town if the algorithm is not tuned properly. :>

Greetings

• 202 posts
    July 24, 2016 9:14 AM PDT

Larirawiel said:

Evoras said:

But here the devs should be very careful. Permanent wolf killing could create an endless goblin army, which will overrun every town if the algorithm is not tuned properly. :>

Greetings

Weeeeeeeell....... I mean that would not be a BAD thing. Gives players the incintive to retake the city and lower the goblin population. (Other quests might arise to lower goblin presence in the nearby area)

• 9 posts
    July 24, 2016 10:07 PM PDT

Good god, man! Now you're talking genocide!

• 200 posts
    July 25, 2016 3:58 AM PDT

LeonSanborn said:

Larirawiel said:

Evoras said:

Greetings

Weeeeeeeell....... I mean that would not be a BAD thing. Gives players the incintive to retake the city and lower the goblin population. (Other quests might arise to lower goblin presence in the nearby area)

Yes, if such invasions would be managed by the players by the end of the day. But i have played a game called UFO: Enemy unknown. Later in the game i was able to defeat every alien attack and the game algorithms disabled all other kinds of attacks except attacking my bases. The issue was that if the aliens attacked your base they never hat an item called elerium. Elerium was the fuel for your space ships and without elerium you never could fly to mars, beat the attackers and win the game.

Such glitches can happen when you have action-reaction-mechanics in the game engine.

Greetings

This post was edited by Larirawiel at July 25, 2016 4:04 AM PDT
    • 144 posts
    July 25, 2016 10:27 AM PDT

All I ask is..... no "Dailies" please. Seriously not a fan of daily quests. Repeatables in the exp range etc, tha's fine though imo

• 1778 posts
    July 25, 2016 10:30 AM PDT
    I would prefer none. Just give me a lot of well thought out and deep quests that are actual quests filled with lore and adventure and importance
    • 3016 posts
    July 25, 2016 12:31 PM PDT

Probably ONLY related to faction quests, where you're trying to increase the friendliness of a particular faction group.  Any other repeatable quests should have diminshing returns (exps, money) so that you move onto something that gives better benefits.  That way "bot" groups..can't stay and hog one area forever.

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at July 25, 2016 12:32 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    July 25, 2016 9:38 PM PDT

For clarity, a lot of repeatable quests in MMORPGs similar to Pantheon are low experience/reward and not mandatory at all, they just provide players with something to do but you can ignore them and not miss out on anything ;)

• 207 posts
    July 26, 2016 10:11 PM PDT
    As long as this game doesn't devolve into a quest to cap I'm good... I personally think quest should be reserved to bring out the lore in the game or to give soecial/unique items or abilities
    • 793 posts
    July 27, 2016 6:35 AM PDT

Like Kilsin said, some quests are not just to give us stuff to do, although I would call them tasks, not quests.

Real quests, with rewards should be no drop/lore items so people wouldn't want to repeat them even if the NPC allowed them to. Quest rewards should never be farmable. 

• 264 posts
    July 27, 2016 4:17 PM PDT

*Warning old EQ Story*

Bounty Quest, Repeatable

One night in front of Qeynos a group of adventurers waited for the members of the group that had formed a tight bond over the last 2 months. We got a phone call that 2 of people would not be able to make it. So with just 4 of us we decided to go and get Bandit Sashes.

We had done this once before and when you turned them in we always stayed grouped up and nearby as you would share in a small amount of EXP. The reward was usually vendor items and a variable amount of very needed money.

While camping the Bandit camp we chatted and made fun of each other and almost got killed a couple times from inattention. We collected many sashes that evening and various other junk.

Suddenly a Werewolf ran thru our camp and was killing us quickly. We ran in different directions but he was so fast he caught up to us all and we were killed. This thing was fast and scary looking as hell. We respawned at a nearby tower and some at Qeynos. We went to get our bodies and retreve our stuff. We had so much loot we went back to town and sold and turned in our sashes. We went back to the same spot and killed bandits and cut up for awile longer. Our minds were blown by that werewolf.

Then some crazy MOB named Chief Goomba ran past us chasing a guy to the zone and our Ranger layed an Arrow into him. Well ole Goomba did not appreciate this. After he killed the guy running from him he came looking for us. He kicked our butts pretty bad. Same story, we died and went back for our bodies. Yet again we turned in our sashes and went back out.

We almost lost as much EXP as we gained that evening, but I remember it and many other similar instances that were so much fun. These repeatable and Bounty quests when done in a game like old EQ feel totally different than repeatable quests in any other game.

The next night with full group, and not relying only on Ranger heals, we all went for Bandit Sashes again and held our camp and had a great time, then we went and took down Chief Goomba after we found him and his camp of followers.

It was fun and dangerous and unpredictable at times, even though we were just doing a repeatable bounty quest. I hope that feeling can be brought out in our game.

This post was edited by Skycaster at July 27, 2016 4:27 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    August 1, 2016 6:15 AM PDT

I don't see any harm in repeatable quests as long as they aren't just repeatable because there's a lack of deeper quests.

I've always thought hunting orc ears for town faction or hunting bears for pelts to provide to town vendors etc etc are quite immersive. I like the feel that I can be a 'hired hand' or whatever of the town I'm staying in for a while.  Get involved in the community and once you're a 'known' member you get other quests and reactions and whatnot.

Sure when you kill the same named monster multiple times it's a little odd, but it is just a game and unless you have that named monster kill always result in the same loot (which kinda reduces some excitement) then there will always be a reason to do it again.

You can always choose to *not* do it again if it ruins your immersion.

• 166 posts
    August 1, 2016 11:04 AM PDT

I don't mind having some repetable quests, as long as there are enough alternatives, so that you don't have to do the same quest more than once, if you don't want to.

In the end most of the quests are like killing x amount of NPC y or collect x amount of z which gets dropped from NPC y. This is ok as long as it does not fell to much like a repetition.

But I like quest more, which have a story. Doing a handful or even more quests while getting told a story or while helping to develop a story is definitively more fun.

The best ones are epic quest chains that include killing very powerful enemies, doing some crafting, farming for a faction, etc and of course giving you an epic reward at the end.

• 8 posts
    August 1, 2016 12:53 PM PDT

Bounty Board for repeatable quests.

Don't want repeatable type quests? Don't check the Bounty Board.

Don't want run-of-the-mill kill quests? Don't check the Bounty Board.

Don't want delivery quests? Don't check the Bounty Board.

Only want story driven, epic quests? Talk to NPCs. Some of which may mention the Bounty Board for local area cleanup or help, while others might direct you to the Village Elder who starts a big quest chain (that probably involves kill and delivery quests, but in a more targetted approach for an end result, rather than just 'kill spiders that have overrun the warehouse').

Repeatable and Daily are pretty much the same to me. I think the Bounty Board could be reset per character at set intervals (GMT 00:00, etc). I myself prefer the repeatable quests to not give money or items, and instead focus on reputation changes. But I'm sure I'd get tired of helping my neighbors clean their storage unit of spiders if they only ever smiled at me, while another neighbor started hating me more and more. So perhaps one off food items, or things of that sort would be good too. 

Just my thoughts on it anyhow.