Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A funding idea/thought/suggestion

• 644 posts
    July 11, 2016 10:04 AM PDT

Some of my work is actually in mergers & acquisitions (a big one concluded last week, in fact) so I understand the financing side of this.  The investors you need are going to be substantial and way above a Kickstarter style campaign.

But here are my own personal thoughts and maybe this would extrapolate to a larger population.

I've pledged monthly, then upgraded with a lump sum, then an upgrade after each livestream.  Looking back at EQ and using the averages of my convoluted subscription history, I averaged the following:

Account #1, $40 game + 14 expansions at $30 = $460
    Account #2, $60 gold game + 1 expansion at $30  =$90
    Account #3,  $40 game + 14 expansions at $30 = $460
    Account #4, $60 gold game + 1 expansion at $30 =$90 
    Account #1, $15/mo, 102 months = $1530
    Account #2, $15/mo, 84 months = $1260
    Account #3, $15/mo, 48 months = $720
    Account #4, $15/mo, 24 months = $360 

So, by foggy memory, bad records and wild approximations I think I've spent $5K on Everquest. And that game gave me 5-15 amazing and wonderful years of my best hobby and is exactly what we are all hoping to recapture.

So, I have absolutely no problem investing/spending that kind of money for this.

The issue is one of guarantee.......I don't want to write a donation/funding check for $1000 or $2000 or whatever, with the possibility that it evaporates and comes to nothing.  I certainly think this will be a huge success (for us the target demographic), but there are no guarantees.

I would absolutely be willing, if there was only some sort of "guarantee"......so that's my proposal:  craft some reassurance or guarantee or something.

I was thinking maybe a binding poll....like a funding page but it only triggers if everyone is in.

Let's say VR needs a million dollars to launch beta.  put up a funding page that uses my logic from above.  If you can get 1000 players to fund $1000, you have your million dollars.  But no one spends anything unless everyone signs up.  So a funding page that only triggers if the goal is met.  If you get 999 people to sign up, no credit cards are charged.  But once that one-thousandth person signs the pledge, BAM! everyone gets a $1000 charge.

The purpose of this is to make sure no one gives away a thousand bucks which won't make a difference, but if enough people do, then it will.

(use real numbers but that's my idea)

This post was edited by fazool at July 11, 2016 10:06 AM PDT
    • 595 posts
    July 11, 2016 10:34 AM PDT

fazool said:

I was thinking maybe a binding poll....like a funding page but it only triggers if everyone is in.

Let's say VR needs a million dollars to launch beta.  put up a funding page that uses my logic from above.  If you can get 1000 players to fund $1000, you have your million dollars.  But no one spends anything unless everyone signs up.  So a funding page that only triggers if the goal is met.  If you get 999 people to sign up, no credit cards are charged.  But once that one-thousandth person signs the pledge, BAM! everyone gets a $1000 charge.

The purpose of this is to make sure no one gives away a thousand bucks which won't make a difference, but if enough people do, then it will.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this exactly how Kickstarter works?  You make a pledge but if the campaign doesn't reach its goal then no one gets charged?  I could be wrong, but I feel like if that wasn't the case then the original Pantheon Kickstarter campaign, though it failed, would still have generated hundreds of thousands for the project.

fazool said:

I've pledged monthly, then upgraded with a lump sum, then an upgrade after each livestream.  Looking back at EQ and using the averages of my convoluted subscription history, I averaged the following:

Account #1, $40 game + 14 expansions at $30 = $460

Account #2, $60 gold game + 1 expansion at $30  =$90
    Account #3,  $40 game + 14 expansions at $30 = $460
    Account #4, $60 gold game + 1 expansion at $30 =$90 
    Account #1, $15/mo, 102 months = $1530
    Account #2, $15/mo, 84 months = $1260
    Account #3, $15/mo, 48 months = $720
    Account #4, $15/mo, 24 months = $360 

So, by foggy memory, bad records and wild approximations I think I've spent $5K on Everquest. And that game gave me 5-15 amazing and wonderful years of my best hobby and is exactly what we are all hoping to recapture.

So, I have absolutely no problem investing/spending that kind of money for this.

I have no problem donating an appropriate amount congruent with the time and entertainment the game will provide me, especially if that means I get to play the game for free after launch (otherwise you're getting double charged in essence).  I think that logic is sound.  Sadly, I can’t write a $2,000-$5,000 check up front in the event that Pantheon keeps me entertained for the next 15 years as you describe.  However, I am subbed and try to upgrade as often as I’m able.

Edit - Formatting/font

This post was edited by Nikademis at July 11, 2016 10:38 AM PDT
    • 644 posts
    July 11, 2016 12:47 PM PDT

perhaps you are right but I thought that (it depends the way you set it up) the money goes away no matter whether you reach your goal.

In that case, maybe another, now that we've seen so much progress?

• 595 posts
    July 11, 2016 4:03 PM PDT

If I recall, after the Kickstarter failed, the team opened the same pledges internally so that people could donate the same amounts and receive the same rewards that were offered during the Kickstarter.  I think...it's been so long now lol ><

Edit: Spelling (sheesh, I need spellcheck!)

This post was edited by Nikademis at July 11, 2016 4:04 PM PDT
    • 104 posts
    July 12, 2016 7:09 AM PDT

Nikademis said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this exactly how Kickstarter works?  You make a pledge but if the campaign doesn't reach its goal then no one gets charged?  I could be wrong, but I feel like if that wasn't the case then the original Pantheon Kickstarter campaign, though it failed, would still have generated hundreds of thousands for the project.

Big benefit over Kickstarter is that there could be no time limit or at least a much longer one than 30 days. Since this project still has a long way to go that could be beneficial.