Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Armor and such

• 18 posts
    July 6, 2016 10:35 PM PDT

So most MMOs ive been trying recetly dont care what race you are. If you are human, tauren, gnome, or whatever, and are the same class you can wear the same armor it just fits your body type... why? I think some races shouldnt be allowed to wear other gear... or at the very least get the stat buffs or the most out of it. Will armor be limited to Str number like darksouls or just general rpg. 

• 37 posts
    July 6, 2016 10:52 PM PDT

I completely agree with bringing race-specific gear into the game. Someone will always complain that it is unbalanced but I'd like it, even if I was on the wrong side of it. I don't think it should be a wipespread concept though, it would become annoying to deal with it on a regular basis, especially if the game keeps loot-spam to an absolute minimum. But as far as an occasional thing, I'd say its almost a neccessity.

• 132 posts
    July 7, 2016 12:08 AM PDT

EQ1 did this with Bronze and other armors. Trolls and Ogre had to have Large Bronze and Dark elf had to have Small Bronze.

I liked that because it added a little more value since small bronze seemed a little harder to get than large.

• 23 posts
    July 7, 2016 12:09 AM PDT

EQ hit the right mark on this imo. Some gear you could wear, some you couldn't. 

When you extend it to classes, it REALLY bugs me in other games when something like a Troll can be an Enchanter, or a High Elf can be a Shaman. Races should have race specific stats, those stats should determine what you can do. 

• 18 posts
    July 7, 2016 12:30 AM PDT

I just don't understand how one of the smaller races can wear heavy armor, unless during character creation you can pick height weight and blah blah and that actually matters. In most games it doesn't really matter what race you are Because they can all wear the same gear and provide the same numbers.  

This post was edited by ActionWILDMAN at July 7, 2016 12:36 AM PDT
    • 243 posts
    July 7, 2016 2:03 AM PDT

I like some racial gear, but wouldn't want it to get crazy.  Certain items that you could use as a specific race would be cool and add depth.  In terms of which race can be what class, I'm honestly sort of on the fence on this one.  I get the RP aspect, but sometimes it is fun to play combinations that people don't expect.  I support either way I guess :)  Hmmm, halfling enchanter, now that could be messy!

• 107 posts
    July 7, 2016 6:00 AM PDT

the problem with this, imo, is that it ends up being rather unfair to specific races/sizes. either 80% of item one drops are large because 80% of those that use it are large, and thus a large player will get that item within 2 drops 96% of the time, while a small sized toon would get their item within 2 drops only 36% of the time. or item drops evenly and the markeis flooded with small sized gear and large sized has to pay higher prices for anything bought.

a possible solution is have anything that drops be unusable until it is formed by an appropriate crafter. thus armor piece drops, take it to a blacksmith and he fits it for you. this is more in line with rp, since even if a pair of gauntlets is human sized, they still would only be wearable by a small percentage of people.

besides, you just took it off a rotting corpse, at least clean the damned things before putting them on! 

• 231 posts
    July 7, 2016 6:26 AM PDT

alephen said:

a possible solution is have anything that drops be unusable until it is formed by an appropriate crafter. thus armor piece drops, take it to a blacksmith and he fits it for you. this is more in line with rp, since even if a pair of gauntlets is human sized, they still would only be wearable by a small percentage of people.

I like this one. Do you think it should be resizable multiple times or just once? Just once makes you think a bit more before doing it, but of course more than once is better for sales/trading. Breastplate of Big Races -> Breastplate of not so Big Races :P

The unusable armor reminds me of class turn-ins that required a the unusable part + gems or whatever depending on the exp. Personally I'd prefer that the piece is already usable for the set of races and can be fitted later. I like to have some instant gratification though so it could just be me wanting it that way.

• 109 posts
    July 7, 2016 8:30 AM PDT

My brother had me play a game where armor and weapons were ALL crafted and eventually became trash and have to be recrafted from scratch again (to help keep the game going revolving around tradeskills). I hate the thought of this! I just hope we have custom armor/weapons dropping off boss mobs making players ambitious to assemble into large raids to defeat them over and over and over again, just as EQ has been like.. And no power sources, ugh nasty. haha

• 1778 posts
    July 7, 2016 9:52 AM PDT
    Id rather have class iconic armors or class themed armors. I think its importsnt to have stat differences in different races.
    • 613 posts
    July 7, 2016 10:09 AM PDT

Rominian said:

I like some racial gear, but wouldn't want it to get crazy.  Certain items that you could use as a specific race would be cool and add depth.  In terms of which race can be what class, I'm honestly sort of on the fence on this one.  I get the RP aspect, but sometimes it is fun to play combinations that people don't expect.  I support either way I guess :)  Hmmm, halfling enchanter, now that could be messy!

I agree with this.  There should be racial and faction based gear and also stat driven.  I know most wont agree with that but that will allow people to be creative with the character and still get the stats they may need.

Ox

• 18 posts
    July 7, 2016 3:32 PM PDT

I just dont think you should be able to get the best Chest plate from a drop. Maybe the best base stats for base armor yeah, but if it allowed us to mess with it a little thatd be cool. That way Tony is more resistant to Fire dmg but Jon is even tankier so he should be primary tank. etc

• 207 posts
    July 8, 2016 10:12 AM PDT
    I do favor race specific gear because I feel some races should be more adept at certain things then others. With regards to armor sizing, maybe you can have a npc tailor or armorer that could size an armor to a characters size for a fee?
    • 595 posts
    July 8, 2016 10:28 AM PDT

To elaborate on what some have said and answer the OP, I think EQ did this pretty well.  There were a number of item types that were restricted by sizes - small, medium and large - which corresponded with specific races (i.e. Halfling=small; Ogre=large).  To my recollection, it wasn't common enough to be a major hindrance but offered a bit of flavor and realism to the gear trade/ladder from time to time.  In addition, there were class, race (which could relate to size, but not in every case) and deity requirements on gear which added another layer of depth.  I would be willing to bet a sizable stack of pp that in a game called "Pantheon" deity requirements will come up from time to time ;)

• 763 posts
    July 8, 2016 2:17 PM PDT

As I recall crafting from EQ, armour (chain) needed you to start with rings -> patch of rings. These were then added together into the full thing.

So, simply, number of 'ring patches' = Small (5) Medium (10) and Large (20) say.

Then if you got a bronze chain (body part) that was Large, you could get a smith to resize to medium -> new medium bronze chain + (up to) 10 'ring patches'

If you got a bronze chain (body part) that was small and wanted medium - you need a smith (and leather worker) to add 5 'ring patches' to it etc.

However, enchanted stuff should be a sod to change, if at all.

• 613 posts
    July 8, 2016 2:24 PM PDT

After thinking on this for a bit I thought of Warhammer.  Not something I want to see in Pantheon meaning the style per class.  I think Faction based and racial elements should be invovlved.  Maybe after level 20 or something so you have to earn the gear. 

More Ox thoughts...

• 112 posts
    September 29, 2016 2:01 PM PDT

Dreake said:

I completely agree with bringing race-specific gear into the game. Someone will always complain that it is unbalanced but I'd like it, even if I was on the wrong side of it. I don't think it should be a wipespread concept though, it would become annoying to deal with it on a regular basis, especially if the game keeps loot-spam to an absolute minimum. But as far as an occasional thing, I'd say its almost a neccessity.

I totally agree with the poster on this. I think armor should be sized cant see a dwarf trying to wear a chest that an orge just got done wearing...but hey it will make a nice blanket :P.