Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 5 posts
    June 14, 2016 8:01 AM PDT

Is there going to be a set or random agro radius for mobs and how long will they chase you?  Part of the fun of the old Everquest was trying to sneak around mobs which didn't always work then trying to flee...

• 613 posts
    June 14, 2016 11:45 AM PDT

I did a search on this and there a bunch of posts on this subject.  None specifically call out what the actual dynamic will be in game.  I think it is way to early to get that sort of information but it will be coming soon enough. 

This sort of dynamic of agro is a common type out there in most MMO’s out there.  I am curious to see if the Devs will comment on this one.

Good post! 

Ox

This post was edited by Oxillion at June 14, 2016 11:45 AM PDT
    • 556 posts
    June 14, 2016 1:43 PM PDT

I believe it's already been stated that agro will change based on the mobs as well as mob type. Some will agro more from sight where others will more from sound for instance. Some will be highly social where others will not. The AI will not be the modern day standard and we will have to learn how mobs of each type react. But Ox is right, there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion on it and I can't even remember where I read what I posted at. 

• 1468 posts
    June 14, 2016 4:27 PM PDT

Enitzu said:

I believe it's already been stated that agro will change based on the mobs as well as mob type. Some will agro more from sight where others will more from sound for instance. Some will be highly social where others will not. The AI will not be the modern day standard and we will have to learn how mobs of each type react. But Ox is right, there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion on it and I can't even remember where I read what I posted at. 

I'm hoping that it will be more like this with different types of mobs reacting in different ways depending on lots of different factors. Hopefully it'll take some time for players to work out all the different types of mobs meaning that there will be some challenge in just not knowing how mobs of a certain type are going to react to your actions. Maybe we'll see more of how mobs will react in the Twitch stream next week?

• 793 posts
    June 15, 2016 4:30 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

.....Maybe we'll see more of how mobs will react in the Twitch stream next week?

I've been busy and haven't check the forums in a few days, did I miss an announcement somewhere?

• 1434 posts
    June 15, 2016 5:10 AM PDT

Fulton said:

Cromulent said:

.....Maybe we'll see more of how mobs will react in the Twitch stream next week?

I've been busy and haven't check the forums in a few days, did I miss an announcement somewhere?

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/blog/state_of_the_game_june_2016/

I actually missed it too. I think I went to the new shaman page and forgot to read the rest of the post.

• 769 posts
    June 15, 2016 5:36 AM PDT

New Twitch? Omgyesplxkthx

• 1468 posts
    June 15, 2016 11:29 AM PDT

Fulton said:

Cromulent said:

You guys really need to read the newsletter. It has some exciting stuff in it :).

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3507/june-s-newsletter-is-out

• 578 posts
    June 15, 2016 2:25 PM PDT

I'd love for faction to be tied into mob's activity. Iirc faction usually deals more with NPCs for quests, keying for certain zones, and in towns to determine whether or not you can walk through it without being attacked. But if a player kills 100s and 1000s of gnolls and even is granted the title 'Gnoll Slayer' would this not sit well with all the gnolls of the land?? Possibly before his reign over gnoll dominance, gnolls would attack but simply because there is a threat nearby to them. But what if the legendary Gnoll Slayer is spotted coming over the hill with a group of friends?? The local gnolls could alert others and try to destroy the destroyer of gnolls. It could increase the aggro radius leaps and bounds if you happen to get legendary status with certain mobs.

This could make grouping more fun/challenging because each member would have to recognize the area they are in and if they are notorious among the denizens then they will have to alert their group and/or group's puller that the aggro radius may play differently here. Just because the puller may not have any real beef with the locals, the mere fact that one of his group members is the legendary D-bag may cause the locals to aggro differently to even the puller.

• 52 posts
    June 15, 2016 2:47 PM PDT
    Brad will get it right. It's cool having mobs like the raptors in TD that can see you a mile away and big dumb giants who don't see u until you are almost under them. And I HATE leashing. If someone aggros mobs then they should have to either run for a zone line, root/Mez and camp/gate, or die. Being able to run 50 yards to leash a mob takes away all the danger from exploring. I know I wouldn't be too worried about runnin thru a camp of mobs cause I just need to make it a short distance and they will turn around and go back to their camp. But if zoning is the only way to lose aggro then I'm figuring out a strategy to get around that camp. And if I do aggro on accident then I am hauling butt trying to find the zoneline and I feel sorry for that guy who thought it was safe to sit AFK at the zoneline lol.
    • 578 posts
    June 15, 2016 4:21 PM PDT

Xaleban said: Brad will get it right. It's cool having mobs like the raptors in TD that can see you a mile away and big dumb giants who don't see u until you are almost under them. And I HATE leashing. 

Yeah, I like when mobs have different aggro radius that suits their lore. I have all the faith in the world the team will get it right. When it comes to leashing EQ got it right and I think VG did it right too.

I'm having troubles remembering if VG had leashing. Reason why is because I know you could chunk and leash them but that was basically zoning. But what is really messing me up is because I knew how to use elevation and the y-axis to get them to leash. Not necessarily conventional lol but I used this with pulling at times so I'm muddying up the memory of if they leashed just running straight away for so many meters.

• 839 posts
    June 15, 2016 6:27 PM PDT

Xaleban said: If someone aggros mobs then they should have to either run for a zone line, root/Mez and camp/gate, or die. Being able to run 50 yards to leash a mob takes away all the danger from exploring. I know I wouldn't be too worried about runnin thru a camp of mobs cause I just need to make it a short distance and they will turn around and go back to their camp. But if zoning is the only way to lose aggro then I'm figuring out a strategy to get around that camp. And if I do aggro on accident then I am hauling butt trying to find the zoneline and I feel sorry for that guy who thought it was safe to sit AFK at the zoneline lol.

My thoughts exactly regarding the reasons to not leash! Keep it dangerous!  But also adding that leashing makes it too easy to split camps when starting out on a big group @ full spawn

Thumbs up for varying agro range! eg. rabid mobs agro more than not rabid and maybe also using this example rabid mobs fight to the death where as non rabid run @ low health etc

• 793 posts
    June 15, 2016 7:27 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Fulton said:

Cromulent said:

You guys really need to read the newsletter. It has some exciting stuff in it :).

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3507/june-s-newsletter-is-out

Thanks for the link Crom...

I seems didn't get my email about the June newsletter. Guess that's why I missed it.

This post was edited by Fulton at June 15, 2016 7:27 PM PDT