Forums » The Shaman

Class reveal

• 320 posts
    June 13, 2016 1:26 PM PDT

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/classes/shaman/

The Shaman makes a pact with a Totem, a fount of primordial energies echoing across time from Terminus’ past.

It'll be interesting to see how they define totems in comparison to the style WoW did.

• 2314 posts
    June 13, 2016 5:27 PM PDT

I'm glad that a significant focus is on the buffing and debuffing and I'm as interested as you, Tanwedar in just how the totem mechanic will be manifest in Pantheon.

• 296 posts
    June 13, 2016 9:14 PM PDT

Couple things

I hope they are not going to mesh too many game ideas into one class - meaning don't have EQ1, EQ2, WoW, VG shaman ideas all mashed into this game. It dilutes the class and makes it meh. (Opinion) I feel shamans should be utility which means lots of spell casting. Keep very fast cast times and ample AoE abilities so the shaman can be mobile. I know WoW totems help provide just that ... but there has to be a better way. Raids with all that spam looks bad lol.

• 1831 posts
    June 14, 2016 6:47 AM PDT

can it be multiiple totems at one time ?  Or we subject to make a decision before a journey as to which totem is loaded in our spell bar ?  is the totem line of sight ?  

• 719 posts
    June 14, 2016 8:10 AM PDT

It feels very much like a "stance" to me, similar to VG.  Or it could simply be the difference between the two specializations.

• 58 posts
    June 14, 2016 10:26 AM PDT

This will be the class that I play at launch.  Interested to hear more about Totems; however, I am very happy to hear that they will be a buff/debuff class with heals.  The Healer/Suppoort descriptor made me happy.

• 997 posts
    June 14, 2016 11:59 AM PDT

Nikademis said:

It feels very much like a "stance" to me, similar to VG.  Or it could simply be the difference between the two specializations.

That is how I am reading into this.  Speculation on my part here but it looks like an interesting class.

Ox

• 2314 posts
    June 14, 2016 6:02 PM PDT

Nikademis said:

If it is a 'stance' that you can, with only a slight delay, switch from one to the other, then why bother having a stance at all?  If it is a long term commitment ala I'm speced for buffs/debuffs whereas another shaman is specced for heals, then you've now reduced the debuff/buff spec to an alt that tags along on raids.  This whole two paths-one class is still my biggest concern about all the classes.

• 1831 posts
    June 22, 2016 1:57 PM PDT

wouldnt having a stance cause issues ?  Then you would have to determine which shaman would come along according to the stances they have or dont have.

• 2314 posts
    June 22, 2016 6:01 PM PDT

Kelem said:

wouldnt having a stance cause issues ?  Then you would have to determine which shaman would come along according to the stances they have or dont have.

Stances, 2 paths for 1 class, totems...all that just makes me hugely unsettled.  Why can't the player determine how they want to apply the skills and abilities of the class according to the situation, having their spells, abilitie and skills be just as they are.  If a heal says it heals for X points, it always heals for X points.  Not X points but only if you're in this stance and within the radius of some placed totem otherwise it's X-Y hitpoints healed.

• 320 posts
    June 23, 2016 1:37 PM PDT

I agree. Shamans always tended to have a good amount of spells to begin with and I think having to stance dance is uneccessary. If we start getting stances for dps/heal then people would start arguing that druids have to have it too to make things "fair" or other issues like that. It just seems like an extra mechanic that we don't need to have to be able to enjoy the class and play it well.

• 1831 posts
    June 25, 2016 5:07 PM PDT

tanwedar said:

I agree. Shamans always tended to have a good amount of spells to begin with and I think having to stance dance is uneccessary. If we start getting stances for dps/heal then people would start arguing that druids have to have it too to make things "fair" or other issues like that. It just seems like an extra mechanic that we don't need to have to be able to enjoy the class and play it well.

yup, exactly

• 35 posts
    July 1, 2016 10:18 AM PDT
    Just give me cannibalize and torpor
    • 320 posts
    July 1, 2016 10:23 AM PDT

Thunndar said: Just give me cannibalize and torpor

Simple needs/wants - I respect that.

• 4 posts
    August 6, 2016 8:56 AM PDT

I have a love for the Shaman classes, especially those centered around the EQ1 class, since that was the one that I've played for so long and loved every minute of it.  I'm hopeful to see how the totem idea works in the long run, but also am holding high hopes that the class will be fun to play.  I liked the idea of sitting off to the side being able to perform little battle-swaying things like slowing and healing, with the occasional practice of throwing a high-damage-but-low-efficiency DD spell to finish off enemies.  

Shamen are kind of like the big "F You" to enemies, so I suspect there will be high aggro on things like the slows and debuffs, which I'm perfectly fine with as long as they can take some hits.  I usually stood next to the tank when I cast my big slows on enemies in case the bad guys decided to start swinging at me, all the tank had to do was get them off me and I go back and patch myself up.

I'm quite excited to get in and see how they develop long-term!

• 35 posts
    August 6, 2016 9:53 AM PDT
    I'd like to copy the EQ1 Shaman, add a snare and a low % res.

I would be very happy
    • 453 posts
    August 7, 2016 10:19 AM PDT
    Thunndar the EQ shaman had slows and a root no need for snares . Snares fit in better for rangers or rogues imho . I agree a copy of EQ original shaman indeed :):):)
    • 35 posts
    August 7, 2016 12:34 PM PDT
    I know what they had. Shaman was my main for 5 years in EQ1. I always wanted a snare for kiting and those run away mobs
    • 2314 posts
    August 8, 2016 6:33 PM PDT

An EQ1 shaman with Snare?  That would have made it an absolutely insane soloing class as good if not better than the Druid.

In Pantheon, must like what others have said, is seeing the class keeping the EQ1 broad utility.

• 262 posts
    December 15, 2016 3:20 PM PST

I'm hoping the totems reference is just lore/background (eq) or your bind with one spirit of nature (or vanguard).  I hated totems in wow.  If I want to play my class I shouldn't be required to start a tiki party.  Absolutely hated those dumb sticks

Now, if you could give me a carbon copy if the eq1 shaman but with the patron spirit choices of a VG shaman...../happydance

This post was edited by Xilshale at December 15, 2016 6:31 PM PST
    • 262 posts
    December 15, 2016 6:02 PM PST

Vandraad said:

An EQ1 shaman with Snare?  That would have made it an absolutely insane soloing class as good if not better than the Druid

Troll shaman of innoruuk,do the de cleric neck quest chain. Click snare with unlimited charges.  Slow recast timer tho.  Saved a few groups with it over the years.

• 536 posts
    December 17, 2016 12:53 PM PST

Loved the shaman in WoW...except for the damned totem management. I hope that isn't even a consideration in Pantheon.

• 320 posts
    December 21, 2016 5:23 PM PST

Anistosoles said:

Loved the shaman in WoW...except for the damned totem management. I hope that isn't even a consideration in Pantheon.

If it's a single totem per shaman where it's situation specific and not always needed, would you be ok with that? For example a fire resist one. Probably a bad example of something they'd make, but the situational part is there. Single per shaman would also help make sure to keep it cleaner in raids instead of 3 or 4 (I forget) per shaman in WoW. Totems would be raid-wide in that case of course.

This post was edited by tanwedar at December 21, 2016 5:24 PM PST
    • 262 posts
    December 23, 2016 7:38 AM PST

tanwedar said:

Anistosoles said:

If it's a single totem per shaman where it's situation specific and not always needed, would you be ok with that? For example a fire resist one. Probably a bad example of something they'd make, but the situational part is there. Single per shaman would also help make sure to keep it cleaner in raids instead of 3 or 4 (I forget) per shaman in WoW. Totems would be raid-wide in that case of course.

Deal breaker for me.  Leave wow theme shamans in wow

• 2314 posts
    February 3, 2017 6:11 PM PST

So I saw this image in a tweet:

I predicted every one of the races for Shaman EXCEPT for Elf and Human (though Human just replaces Barbarian).  That is a very interesting choice to be sure.  If we assume, and it so far does appear this way, that the Pantheon Shaman will be alike to the EQ1 Shaman moreso than other iterations having the Elf as a race option places it in quite a different position than the other classes.

Yes, we must make some presumptions here.

1.  Shaman will be WIS based class.  For every X points of Wisdom you get Y value of Mana.

2.  Cannibalization will exist, allowing you to trade hit points for mana.

3.  HP is based off a stat, probably STA. For every A points in STA you get B value of HP.

What we have to ask is which is better, higher base WIS but lower HP where you can cast more spells before needing to Canni or lower WIS but much higher base HP allowing you to Canni quite often to maintain mana.

On the scale from lowest base STA to highest would be ELF, Human, Skar, Archai, Ogre

On the scale from lowest base WIS to highest would be Ogre, Skar, Archi, Human, Elf

So the question becomes which is the better long-term approach?  more STA but lower starting WIS or vice versa?  Which stats do we think we'll see added to gear more often?  +WIS or +STA?  In EQ1 on my Troll Shaman I maxed out STA and put the last few points into WIS.  Due to Troll Regen and all the gear that had +STA thrown on it, she had tons of HP and could canni without fear or getting low health aggro.

What do you all think?  How does the existence of Elven Shaman affect our class?