Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Pet peeves

• 769 posts
    June 13, 2016 11:06 AM PDT

What are yours? I continuously find more, especially at work. Since I'm at work now, forgive me for using these forums as an outlet for my complaints.

1. "In all Honesty / To be honest" - God I hate when people say that. I ESPECIALLY hate it when people say that and follow it with their own personal friggin' opinion. Such as:

"To be honest, corpse runs are horrible"

Do you think saying "To be honest" before your opinion somehow validates it or makes it factual? Or that we should somehow connect something that you like or don't like with being the end of discussion? Stop it. Cut it out. I don't care. To be honest, I hate you.

2. It's "A lot". Not "Alot".

3. When people learn a new word and use it every friggin' chance they get. I now have a boss that finds a way to use the word "aforementioned" in every single dag gum e-mail she sends. I'm sorry that your vocabulary is so sub par that any new word is used as a life jacket to keep you from drowning in your own mediocrity. Failure floaties. I hate you, too.

4. Bad steak. (I made the mistake of going to Applebees for lunch and, for some unknown reason, ordering a steak. Why did I do that? I don't know)

5. Irony

6. Misuse of the word "literally".

I feel better now. Thank you, Pantheon'ers. Let's hear yours.

This post was edited by Tralyan at June 13, 2016 11:08 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    June 13, 2016 11:45 AM PDT

To be honest I find people who make pet peeve posts annoying alot of the time. Literally.

Edit:

Things that really wind me up:

Americans spell checking me when they have no idea how people from England spell and what the correct spelling is for things over here.

Americans using the flag of the USA to denote English in a language options list. You should use the Union Jack or perhaps the St Georges Cross.

Americans telling me I have pronounced something wrong.

Americans.

This post was edited by Cromulent at June 13, 2016 11:55 AM PDT
    • 769 posts
    June 13, 2016 12:21 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

To be honest I find people who make pet peeve posts annoying alot of the time. Literally.

Edit:

Americans spell checking me when they have no idea how people from England spell and what the correct spelling is for things over here.

Americans using the flag of the USA to denote English in a language options list. You should use the Union Jack or perhaps the St Georges Cross.

Americans.

Don't make me sic Trump on you.

'Murica

Why must you coloUr all of us americans with the same brush? Have you no honoUr?! You people and your hifalutin words.

New Pet Peeve: Waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to pull out of a parking spot even though there are plenty of spots farther in the back because walking is just soooooooooooooo hard.

This feels good.

=Edit= Edited to use the word "hifalutin"

This post was edited by Tralyan at June 13, 2016 12:23 PM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    June 13, 2016 12:38 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

Cromulent said:

Edit:

Americans.

Don't make me sic Trump on you.

'Murica

Why must you coloUr all of us americans with the same brush? Have you no honoUr?! You people and your hifalutin words.

LOL. Don't sic Trump on me or I'll have to pull out Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson to defend me with their equal craziness :). Love the use of "hifalutin" by the way (yes I had to look it up).

Tralyan said:

New Pet Peeve: Waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to pull out of a parking spot even though there are plenty of spots farther in the back because walking is just soooooooooooooo hard.

This feels good.

=Edit= Edited to use the word "hifalutin"

Thankfully I don't drive so I don't have to put up with that one all that often.

• 1778 posts
    June 13, 2016 6:27 PM PDT

People who feel they have to explain their whole life story to me in order to make a purchase or get service. Im a locksmith not a facebook account. Keep it simple.

People who repeatedly go to forums of things they dont like to forever bad mouth it(mostly talking about things not religiously or politically charged). Thanks interweb anonymity. But seriously why? How can you have that much passion to go and post negative things for years on for instance a game you hate? I mean I dont like how FFXIV turned out but I dont make it my calling in life to go and post about it on forums dedicated to it. How insane is that?

Political Correctness: Its probably based in good intentions, but creates problems. Like the inability to just tell the truth. Exhibit A: Media. I dont care if its left, right, or center. The idea was originally to not offend others, but has since evolved to negative things like wanting to police and enforce the way we think. I said think, not act. The craziest part? It seems that it is totally ok to be politically incorrect to some groups, but not others. I'll just leave it at that.

• 1434 posts
    June 14, 2016 4:09 AM PDT

Two things I eat at Applebees: riblet platter and blackened chicken caesar. They've been good at every location I've visited. Aside from fancy joints, I don't think I'd order steak in any place that doesn't have "Steakhouse" in the name of the restaurant.

Cromulent said:

Like you said, english has 2 major variants. The US flag probably denotes the use of the 'Murican version. Expect more Z and less S and a distinct lack of u's in the english of your neighbors.

• 384 posts
    June 14, 2016 8:26 AM PDT

lol yeah I don't think steak would be my first choice at Applebees  =)

To be honest, "That being said" annoys me alot. It's literally the worst thing ever!   

heheh j/k Tralyan!  I agree with you, "To be honest, alot and literally" bug me too!  "To be honest" makes me wonder, were you lying before and only now being honest with me? ugh

I read and hear "That being said" in so many reviews and articles all over. Drives me crazy.  

Amsai, Didn't know you were a locksmith! Will you be playing a rogue in Pantheon? =) I agree with you on the PCness... that can stop now.

• 1778 posts
    June 14, 2016 10:24 AM PDT

I only go to Mom and Pop diners these days. Yes its probably more unhealthy. But the health scores are usually much better and so is the food. 

Somehow when I hear "To be Honest", Im imagining some guy taking me over to the side and in hushed tones saying "I shouldn't be telling you this, but..." Like hes doing me a favor.

Im guilty on the "that being said". Though I dont think I use it too often lol...... I hope.

Jury is still out on Rogue. Yes it would fit my RL occupation, but Im a huge fan of support (thats support not healer) classes. So I guess it depens on how you can play a rogue. But I really loved D&D skill monkey or utility rogues. But if there is no spec for leaning away from DPS and more support then probably not. But thats what Im looking for is a mostly support role that isnt shoe-horned into a healer role as well. If they have a bit of DPS or CC thats fine but I just dont want to be a healer. I want to debuff or buff like a boss lol.

• 384 posts
    June 14, 2016 11:15 AM PDT

I hear ya. I prefer to play support classes as well but I like healing and cc too. Only style I know I don't want to play is dps.

Never have been too fond of rogues. The constant need to be in the right spot for your directional attacks gets old. But I do love the other stuff they can do like lockpick and detect traps.  

That reminds me of another pet peeve. Thread derailers. ;)  Sorry bout that. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

• 769 posts
    June 14, 2016 11:32 AM PDT

I have a new pet peeve.

People who aren't fond of rogues.

• 76 posts
    June 14, 2016 12:09 PM PDT

Pretentious individuals who presume they could never make an error even when you show them their error, they rather revert to their original statement(s) entirely ignorant to reality.

• 769 posts
    June 15, 2016 5:29 AM PDT

People that walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk. Or the wrong side of anywhere. Or use the exit door in any establishment to enter. There is a friggin' sign!

The lack of left handed items.

• 105 posts
    June 15, 2016 9:54 AM PDT

One of my pet peeves is having anyone suggest I eat at Applebees.  It's just so bland to me.  Doesn't bother me that other people enjoy the food, it's just that in an area rich in gastric delights I don't want to waste my palate at Applebees.

Another pet peeve is shopping carts in parking lots not placed in the ubiquitous cart corrals.  How lazy and uncaring do you have to be to leave a cart loose two spots over from a cart corral? 

• 1468 posts
    June 15, 2016 12:12 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

People that walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk.

You can walk on the wrong side of the pavement in America?! That's crazy.

• 769 posts
    June 15, 2016 12:48 PM PDT

In the good ol' US of A, the land of the free and the brave, where we snub the metric system, celsius, and left hand driving, we follow the (correct) rule of driving and walking on the right side.

When people walk on the left side on a busy sidewalk, I assume they're rude, or tourists. Or both.

I'm probably the reason some tourists hate Americans. That's part of my charm.

But seriously though. Can we friggin' revert to the metric system already? That's just silly.

• 264 posts
    June 15, 2016 3:19 PM PDT

Interesting tid bit on the Metric System. I have worked in Aviation for a little (very Little) over thirty years on a multitude of aircraft and Aerospace components. The only metric tool I have in my toolbox is a 14MM Socket. I have never needed another metric tool for anything. Some of the finest modern machinework and cutting edge Aircraft in the sky are standard, or I think some call it Imperial. Standard or Imperial is more difficult to work with esp. if you are not used to it, but it is an absolute magical system and very accurate. Brits please try to keep what you can of it, it really is magic.

This post was edited by Skycaster at June 15, 2016 3:19 PM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    June 15, 2016 4:52 PM PDT

Skycaster said:

Brits please try to keep what you can of it, it really is magic.

Measurement systems are very strange over here. We use a mix of metric and imperial for different things so for instance:

A persons height is always measured in feet and inches.

A persons weight is always measured in stone and pounds.

A bottle of fizzy drinks is always measured in litres.

Fuel in a car is measured in litres.

Beer served in a pub is measured in pints.

Weight of food bought in a shop is measured in kilograms and grams.

Temperature is measured in celcius.

Distance on a road is measured in miles.

and on and on I could go. We really have a mix of both systems with no standardisation at all which is like the worst of both worlds.

Interesting fact a pint in the United Kingdom is 20% larger than it is in the United States. Also a gallon in the United Kingdom is larger than a gallon in the United States.

• 264 posts
    June 15, 2016 5:57 PM PDT

I wish I had the time to spend a month exploring your Great Country; I visited for work about 20 years ago but never got the chance to do much except get some very good training. I was not sure what to think when the instructor, who was under an open fuel tank at the time asked for somebody to pass him a torch. Turns out as most Americans now know that a Torch and a Flashlight are the same thing.

This post was edited by Skycaster at June 16, 2016 2:08 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    June 16, 2016 3:22 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

But seriously though. Can we friggin' revert to the metric system already? That's just silly.

"Customary measurements" (US customary) are based off older forms of measurement than imperial or metric. Only they can revert!

• 1860 posts
    June 18, 2016 6:18 AM PDT

I say "to be honest" pretty often.  It is usually when I think others won't agree with what I am about to say.  This will make me more aware of that and use it a little bit less.

My pet peeves. 

People who spell Rogue as Rouge.  This has been going on forever.  It was especially noticable on the DDO forums and now it is noticable again on Star Wars forums discussing Rogue One.

Also loose and lose, it bothers me more than it should I think.  I automatically dismiss opinions if you don't know how to spell lose.

This post was edited by philo at June 18, 2016 6:24 AM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    June 18, 2016 9:13 AM PDT

My biggest game related pet peeve is the nostalgia argument. You know, claiming that any older game mechanic that is no longer popular must be antiquated or obsolete and that anyone who still thinks its good or enjoyable only do so because they are wearing "rose colored glasses." 9 times out of 10 its a dishonest argument used to dismiss legitimate reasoning.

For instance:

I say I liked combat in EQ and still find it more engaging than modern action combat games.

Someone says tab targeting was just a limitation of technology, you couldn't honestly find it more fun.

I further explain how I enjoyed the more group dependent gameplay, the tracking of spawns, dealing with roamers with offset timers and randomized spawn points, the constant management of personal and party resources (mana), the greater need for communication, and balancing the risk (danger of dying) against the group efficiency and item/exp gains (reward).

All of those reasons are dismissed, and the troll moves to claims of nostalgia.

The sad thing is, folks nowadays are so ignorant they really believe the nostalgia card trumps all arguments. Its like the easiest way to get a dozen agrees on most gaming forums. It really doesn't give me much hope for gaming or humanity in general.

• 1468 posts
    June 18, 2016 2:58 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

My biggest game related pet peeve is the nostalgia argument. You know, claiming that any older game mechanic that is no longer popular must be antiquated or obsolete and that anyone who still thinks its good or enjoyable only do so because they are wearing "rose colored glasses." 9 times out of 10 its a dishonest argument used to dismiss legitimate reasoning.

For instance:

I say I liked combat in EQ and still find it more engaging than modern action combat games.

Someone says tab targeting was just a limitation of technology, you couldn't honestly find it more fun.

I further explain how I enjoyed the more group dependent gameplay, the tracking of spawns, dealing with roamers with offset timers and randomized spawn points, the constant management of personal and party resources (mana), the greater need for communication, and balancing the risk (danger of dying) against the group efficiency and item/exp gains (reward).

All of those reasons are dismissed, and the troll moves to claims of nostalgia.

The sad thing is, folks nowadays are so ignorant they really believe the nostalgia card trumps all arguments. Its like the easiest way to get a dozen agrees on most gaming forums. It really doesn't give me much hope for gaming or humanity in general.

As someone who has far more fun playing old classic games on GOG and Steam than most of the brand new games I somewhat agree. But you can't blame people for making that argument though. They probably weren't even around when EQ was at its prime and have no idea what it was like. The same for some of the old games I play from the 90s. I was a teenager then but most people posting on game forums these days probably weren't even alive when the games I play were released. How can you expect them to believe that they were better than modern games? It would be like someone trying to tell me that black and white TV was way better than colour TV. I just wouldn't believe it because I wasn't even alive when black and white TV was a thing and my logical reasoning would say "surely things have improved in all the years since that was popular".

• 9 posts
    June 20, 2016 12:20 PM PDT

I just want to caveat on the whole steak from Applebees.  One day I went there with some friends and I was in the mood for a steak.  I asked for med rare, the waitress told me they were all out of med rare.  When I questioned her on that she proceeded to tell me that they get their steaks precooked and frozen.  Needless to say I left my friends and went to a real steak restaurant.