Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Id like Pantheon to be.

• 39 posts
    May 27, 2016 1:14 PM PDT

I would love Pantheon to be a total copy of EQ new lore with new lands to explore, bosses to raid for Phat lewts and would not change a single thing about it.

no guild halls no player ran vendors classic eq rules with a major face lift and bam we got us a serious game.  I miss /shout lvl (add here) LFG  the grouping  is what made it memorable I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

• 1468 posts
    May 27, 2016 1:25 PM PDT

Kailo said:

I would love Pantheon to be a total copy of EQ new lore with new lands to explore, bosses to raid for Phat lewts and would not change a single thing about it.

no guild halls no player ran vendors classic eq rules with a major face lift and bam we got us a serious game.  I miss /shout lvl (add here) LFG  the grouping  is what made it memorable I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

I loved EQ but I also loved Vanguard as well. I have the feeling if the game was a total copy of EQ I'd get bored really quickly. I already played EQ for over 5 years and know how to play the classes I'm interested in. I want something new that will bring the excitment back to the game that only comes when you experience something new. New lore, new quests, new crafting system, new classes, new things like the colour mana system and environmental effects that never existed in EQ. There are loads of new things that Pantheon will bring to the table that just weren't possible when EQ was launched and I'm excited to see some of these new features in the game.

Thankfully it sounds like Brad and the team are planning on bringing in new features based on reading the game tenents.

This post was edited by Cromulent at May 27, 2016 1:25 PM PDT
    • 769 posts
    May 27, 2016 1:30 PM PDT

Ha. I'm sure many of us would echo those sentiments, as well as argue that some innovation is a good idea.

It is quite possible to create the sense of challenge that EQ provided while also introducing innovative ideas. You'll find folks here that advocate copying many of EQ's ideas, such as a lack of dungeon finder, making groups necessary, the holy trinity (quadripilitsnaewhatever), and a lack of auction houses. You'll also find just as many people here that do NOT want an exact copy of EQ. I don't think either of those viewpoints are a bad thing.

Innovation is good. We'll have to wait and see what all this innovation, put together, will become.

I, for one, do not want an exact copy of EQ. I loved EQ. I loved Vanguard. Pantheon is neither of those games. Let's make Pantheon shine as a separate title. Let nobody call Pantheon an EQ clone. Rather, I hope they call it Pantheon, a new MMO that we want to play.

This post was edited by Tralyan at May 27, 2016 1:32 PM PDT
    • 39 posts
    May 27, 2016 2:14 PM PDT

Well I dont mean an exact copy and yes innovation is always good I am just saying take a step back and look at what made EQ special  IE the grouping system  the camps the D&D feel to it.

EQ left a void that no other game has been able to fill..and I am sure alot of you feel that void to.

• 1860 posts
    May 27, 2016 4:01 PM PDT

When I can say "Camp Check" in a general channel and people understand what that is and respond I'll know I'm home.

• 3016 posts
    May 27, 2016 6:17 PM PDT

A little sense or essence of EQ combined with some Vanguard style  crafting and character classes, the targetting system (dare I wish for diplomacy?) and a whole bunch of new stuff that shouts Pantheon..that's what I am hoping for.  :)

• 79 posts
    May 27, 2016 8:20 PM PDT

I've got a pretty good feeling that what you liked about original EQ will pretty much be what you like about Pantheon. ;)

• 23 posts
    May 27, 2016 9:56 PM PDT

I tried to edit this post but ended up quoting it below and cant delete either so I changed this to admit defeat in the face of tecnological adversity :(

This post was edited by Fwick at May 27, 2016 10:00 PM PDT
    • 23 posts
    May 27, 2016 9:58 PM PDT

Fwick said:

On a more serious note Id prefer it got its roots from EQ but became its own entity or it will forever be in the shadows of its predecessors.

Edited: Removed portion about Meth filling the void of EQ

• 39 posts
    May 27, 2016 10:22 PM PDT

philo said:

When I can say "Camp Check" in a general channel and people understand what that is and respond I'll know I'm home.

Exactly what I mean.

• 671 posts
    May 28, 2016 8:37 AM PDT

Kailo said:

This^  begs the question... are you playing Everquest right now..?  If no... why ?

Then think about what you are asking.

• 39 posts
    May 28, 2016 10:14 AM PDT

Hieromonk said:

Kailo said:

This^  begs the question... are you playing Everquest right now..?  If no... why ?

Well the reason I am not playing EQ is out dated graphics just cant do it but if the graphics were current you bet your *** id be playing it..

Maybe thats what I am trying to say.  I would like to see the EQ mechanics in a new enviorment (updated graphics)the game play,grouping system,raids and so on basicaly everything we loved from EQ in Pantheon along with its new mechanics..

As some say Pantheon will be in the shadows of EQ but this is imposable becouse we the players are the shadows..

This post was edited by Gorgok at May 28, 2016 10:23 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    May 28, 2016 10:19 AM PDT
    Id probably lean more VG then EQ I think. That being said I think we will get something in between. With some cool new things
    • 39 posts
    May 28, 2016 10:24 AM PDT

Amsai said: Id probably lean more VG then EQ I think. That being said I think we will get something in between. With some cool new things

Vanguard had it good points aswell..

• 3016 posts
    May 28, 2016 12:18 PM PDT

Kailo said:

Hieromonk said:

Kailo said:

Well the reason I am not playing EQ is out dated graphics just cant do it but if the graphics were current you bet your *** id be playing it..

Maybe thats what I am trying to say.  I would like to see the EQ mechanics in a new enviorment (updated graphics)the game play,grouping system,raids and so on basicaly everything we loved from EQ in Pantheon along with its new mechanics..

As some say Pantheon will be in the shadows of EQ but this is imposable becouse we the players are the shadows..

Well I am on Win 10 and played EQ on Xegony server recently from December last year to around about March it is doable.  Yes the graphics are pretty dated, but not impossible to play there. :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    May 28, 2016 12:20 PM PDT

Kailo said:

Well I dont mean an exact copy and yes innovation is always good I am just saying take a step back and look at what made EQ special  IE the grouping system  the camps the D&D feel to it.

EQ left a void that no other game has been able to fill..and I am sure alot of you feel that void to.

Agreed ..at least a decade's worth of large void. :)  That's why I go back every so often.    Nostalgia hits me hard from time to time. :)

Cana

• 644 posts
    May 28, 2016 10:49 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:...

Agreed ..at least a decade's worth of large void. :)  That's why I go back every so often.    Nostalgia hits me hard from time to time. :)

Cana

exactly!

• 644 posts
    May 28, 2016 10:54 PM PDT

Kailo said:

Hieromonk said:

Kailo said:

For *ME*, I am not playing EQ right now because what was great about it 10 years ago, slowly eroded away.  The game got dumbed down and morphed toward instant gratification.

Don't get me wrong I still love EQ, but it became less of an alternate-reality/alternate-life and became more of a console GAME.  

I played EQ extremely hardcore from late 1999 to 2006 and on and off since then.

I don't want/care for new graphics.  In fact too much emphasis in graphics can actually be a bad thing and detract from immersion (whole other topic on cognitive theory and the psycholoigy of perception but suffice it to say "too perfect and it breaks immersion").

I don't care if they use the 1999 graphics (ok I don't want the small UI) - I just want the world to live in.

• 121 posts
    May 29, 2016 4:50 AM PDT

I want the slower leveling of EQ that made leveling feel like it was the game instead of a long tutorial for end game.  The slower leveling made people behave better also because reputation mattered more(Not many people wanted to reroll their toon and go thru that leveling) I would love to see EQ epic weapon quests and VGs Griffon mount quests.  I don't need a billion quests but the ones we get should be more epic.

I would love to see the crafting of VG, the only crafting system I thought was worthy in an mmo.  The harvested materials, and crafting from every profession to build houses, boats, and guild halls gave crafting a purpose instead of just creating vendor fodder.  The diplomacy feature was a fun mini game that I enjoyed but I can take it or leave it.

End game content that has raids like EQ and VG (APW was just awesome once it was lag free).

Soloability is good for certain times but should never ever be anywhere remotely as efficient as grouping.  Classes should go back to being unique, I'm not a fan of one toon being able to play all rolls.  Very large guild tools is a must, like UI and such but guild houses are always fun to.

Basically, merge EQ and VG together and reskin and I'll be a happy camper.

• 39 posts
    May 29, 2016 5:33 AM PDT

streeg said:

I want the slower leveling of EQ that made leveling feel like it was the game instead of a long tutorial for end game.  The slower leveling made people behave better also because reputation mattered more(Not many people wanted to reroll their toon and go thru that leveling) I would love to see EQ epic weapon quests and VGs Griffon mount quests.  I don't need a billion quests but the ones we get should be more epic.

I would love to see the crafting of VG, the only crafting system I thought was worthy in an mmo.  The harvested materials, and crafting from every profession to build houses, boats, and guild halls gave crafting a purpose instead of just creating vendor fodder.  The diplomacy feature was a fun mini game that I enjoyed but I can take it or leave it.

End game content that has raids like EQ and VG (APW was just awesome once it was lag free).

Soloability is good for certain times but should never ever be anywhere remotely as efficient as grouping.  Classes should go back to being unique, I'm not a fan of one toon being able to play all rolls.  Very large guild tools is a must, like UI and such but guild houses are always fun to.

Basically, merge EQ and VG together and reskin and I'll be a happy camper.

that sounds like a game right their =)

• 4 posts
    May 29, 2016 6:15 AM PDT

A few of the things I hope they include in Pantheon...

1) I really enjoyed that races had traits that made them unique. Better night vision for some, others blind in the dark without some light. Stronger, and others just about encumbered when wearing armour. All having unique languages (LOVED that) Higher intel to learn faster, these items are what made these types of games so much more fun..and personal, compared to the garbage out there now. And..one of the biggest of all..FACTION. Love that you would have to build up high faction with one group in order to do things in another zone easier. 

2) They talking about zones affecting play..AWESOME! How about a low gravity zone (almost like a water zone. tough to manuver around) , a HIGH gravity zone ( low strength = barely able to move), how about a lava type zone (need levitate to be able to survive), a zone with surprises when certain spells are cast (what was that eq zone that bought out a champion when "Call of the Hero" was cast..you got a voice saying, There are no Heros, well, maybe one!" Make it a obscure spell, and have it randomly change, so no duplicating it!

3) Travel, me personally I thought that Wizards and Druids doing the porting made the game so much more fun..and challenging. Flying mounts, na, ..let people see the game!

4) Crafting..LOVE me some crafting where there is a chance of failure..and you loose your items. Makes it when the combine works so much more thrilling!

This post was edited by Alannon at May 29, 2016 5:14 PM PDT
    • 79 posts
    May 31, 2016 7:12 AM PDT

streeg said:

Classes should go back to being unique, I'm not a fan of one toon being able to play all rolls.

This may very well be the most desired feature from my perspective.

This post was edited by GeekVerve at May 31, 2016 7:12 AM PDT
    • 83 posts
    May 31, 2016 7:50 AM PDT

While I also echo the desire to "return to the times of yore" so to speak there's plenty about EQ that was good and bad.

Dungeons, raids, wondering killer mobs, lore... all of these are great.   Would love to see them taken to the next level.  Personally I think EQ2 did a decent job as well.  If I was to state MY idea it would be a combination of EQ/EQ2 with modern graphics.   EQ2 is probably my ATF (close to EQ) with it's housing, collections, raids, dungeons, questing... a very rich deep game that suffered mainly from a bit of overcomplexity and a poor graphics engine.

That said there are a LOT of new "innovations" that I think have their place as well.  OP you specifically mentioned not wanting guild houses, vendors, etc.   I disagree.   This brings me to a topic I've been wanting to discuss (and will in a separate thread) of the difference between gameplay and quality of life features.   A guild hall, for example, doesn't impact gameplay it adds to it.   I want a home both for myself and for my guild.

I also want convenience features that don't impact gameplay (or affect balance).   Quality chat features, /commands, merchants and a marketplace.  There's tons of things that help provide a broader experience that can be leveraged to increase enjoyment of the game.

My biggest fear is that the game will be exactly what you described, a copy of EQ (which it won't).   EQ was great and had wonderful features and experiences.  I still yearn for those.  But there are plenty of things I would hate to experience again, painful things that were more a result of being the first real MMO than anything else.   EQ recreated today would not be a compelling game and I for one don't want to be playing on empty servers or see server merges over and over to increase population.  A game where team play is important cannot survive without a solid playerbase.   EQ as it was would not survive the market today imo.   Shroud of the Avatar is taking a somewhat similar approach and there are very few playing it right now (it's still early access but it's pretty much empty compared to other games at a similar stage.)

• 76 posts
    May 31, 2016 10:11 AM PDT

Santiago said:

While I also echo the desire to "return to the times of yore" so to speak there's plenty about EQ that was good and bad.

Dungeons, raids, wondering killer mobs, lore... all of these are great.   Would love to see them taken to the next level.  Personally I think EQ2 did a decent job as well.  If I was to state MY idea it would be a combination of EQ/EQ2 with modern graphics.   EQ2 is probably my ATF (close to EQ) with it's housing, collections, raids, dungeons, questing... a very rich deep game that suffered mainly from a bit of overcomplexity and a poor graphics engine.

That said there are a LOT of new "innovations" that I think have their place as well.  OP you specifically mentioned not wanting guild houses, vendors, etc.   I disagree.   This brings me to a topic I've been wanting to discuss (and will in a separate thread) of the difference between gameplay and quality of life features.   A guild hall, for example, doesn't impact gameplay it adds to it.   I want a home both for myself and for my guild.

I also want convenience features that don't impact gameplay (or affect balance).   Quality chat features, /commands, merchants and a marketplace.  There's tons of things that help provide a broader experience that can be leveraged to increase enjoyment of the game.

My biggest fear is that the game will be exactly what you described, a copy of EQ (which it won't).   EQ was great and had wonderful features and experiences.  I still yearn for those.  But there are plenty of things I would hate to experience again, painful things that were more a result of being the first real MMO than anything else.   EQ recreated today would not be a compelling game and I for one don't want to be playing on empty servers or see server merges over and over to increase population.  A game where team play is important cannot survive without a solid playerbase.   EQ as it was would not survive the market today imo.   Shroud of the Avatar is taking a somewhat similar approach and there are very few playing it right now (it's still early access but it's pretty much empty compared to other games at a similar stage.)

Although a recreation/revisioning/revamping of EQ is not what you would like to see, many here would. This game is meant to appeal to a niche community that wants memorable gaming experiences that we found previously found in EQ. It may be hard to admit, but some of the worst memories in EQ are also the most memorable and define the game. It took the community and teamwork to make things happen and inversely the community and lack of teamwork could just as easily end your success. Predicating that this game will fail because of its stated tenants and comparing it to a lackluster MMO that is nothing compared to EQ doesn't give the development team the credit they deserve.

Just my 2 cents.