Forums » The Summoner

Thoughts on Summoner Mana/Spell usage

• 35 posts
    May 25, 2016 7:30 AM PDT

Through my years of playing Vidja Games ive seen some interesting ways to utilize spells/summons and one such way is Reserved mana costs used in maintaing a certain spell.  I think this could allow for a very diversified summoning class in Pantheon.  Certain chunks of your mana pool being reserved to keep summons active as this could give a different level of depth to the class making it more unique.  Its my belief that if you summon something with a set amount of resource it will deteriorate over a give time compared to if you channeled or maintained power devoted towards that specific creature or Barrier.  A creature for instance can be summoned for 1/3 of your mana pool and will last 20 seconds or so until it dissapates from being damaged.  That same creature could be maintained using 1/3 of the summoners mana pool preventing that mana from being utilized but allowing that creature to stay active until dead.  From there spells could be customized so that the creature could be less powerful for less mana cost and summoners can specialize on whether they want an army or a lone behemoth for an off tank(or whatever purpose).  Some summoners may just want to keep recharging mana to diversify in order to better react to what might need to be summoned and wont want to get locked into set choices.  

• 692 posts
    May 25, 2016 7:51 AM PDT

Interesting idea. A pet that requires such a big commitment should be very powerful however.

EQ2 had a related idea with concentration points for buffs (you could only maintain so many). Perhaps that would be alternative to using mana?

• 1 posts
    May 25, 2016 9:41 PM PDT

I like the idea of using reserved mana. You could even combine both of your ideas and have a basic creature that you could keep summoned for, say, 5% of your total mana pool. And then you could give it abilities and buffs, for instance:

Increased summon health: 2% of summoner's mana pool.
    Summon has access to spell: spells's cost reserved from summoner's mana pool.
    Summon has taunt ability: 1.5% of summoner's mana pool.

etc.

• 35 posts
    May 26, 2016 6:18 AM PDT

Yeah that would be cool, or different mana types could provide those varying effects.  Whenever I use that word I have to say the phrase " How does the effect affect you"  To figure which one it is. Anyway.

A seperate resource system would be nice or if it  took from your health/stamina

• 7 posts
    February 4, 2017 3:50 PM PST

I think we should leave the exact numbers for the balancing team for now, but i could totally see using a % of hp and/or mp to maintain the summon(s)?