Forums » The Monk

DPS? Utility?

• 238 posts
    May 24, 2016 3:49 PM PDT
    It seems most classes will get 2 specs. Will the monk have a DPS spec and a support/utility spec? And will this DPS spec be on par with, let's say, the rogue? Maybe Kilsin could chime in on this one :^)
    • 9055 posts
    May 24, 2016 7:12 PM PDT

We will have to wait for the Monk class reveal for more info, Wig ;) 

• 70 posts
    June 3, 2016 12:06 PM PDT

Would be nice to see something similary to the Vanguard Disciple or a more robust heal/utility version of the EQOA Sensei.  I am really hoping that the majority of the classes have 2 distinct specializations that play distinctly different yet are reasonably easy to switch between.  i.e. Drunken Monk and Disciple Monk if the group needs a healer you switch to Disciple if Dps you switch to Drunken, tho I would make it a long cast and out of combat with a small debuff penalty for a short period of time so that you can't switch on the fly in an encounter.  Of course there is also obtaining abilities in this game of which one would have to obtain abilities for both spec's. 

If this game has anything similar to Disc or Sensei I would be very interested in playing it. 

• 9055 posts
    June 3, 2016 5:43 PM PDT

The VG Disc was an awesome class and as it happens we have Corey (Ceythos) LeFever from VG working on classes so who knows what he may come up with ;)

• 70 posts
    June 4, 2016 2:47 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

The VG Disc was an awesome class and as it happens we have Corey (Ceythos) LeFever from VG working on classes so who knows what he may come up with ;)

Can't say I had the pleasure of working with Corey. I primarily worked with Daren 'Talisker' McPherson and to a greater extent Michael 'Avair' Mann. Avair being the visionary creator of both the disciple and bloodmage IMHO two of the most ingenious healing classes to ever grace the mmo stage. Tho to be honest most of the vanguard classes were amazing and I am sure Corey will bring justice to the mechanics and dynamics of the classes within Pantheon.

• 9055 posts
    June 4, 2016 5:34 PM PDT

xaices said:

Kilsin said:

Can't say I had the pleasure of working with Corey. I primarily worked with Daren 'Talisker' McPherson and to a greater extent Michael 'Avair' Mann. Avair being the visionary creator of both the disciple and bloodmage IMHO two of the most ingenious healing classes to ever grace the mmo stage. Tho to be honest most of the vanguard classes were amazing and I am sure Corey will bring justice to the mechanics and dynamics of the classes within Pantheon.

Yes, they were both awesome Devs too, Corey started out as GM Ceythos and moved his way up into a Dev role a little later but is still familiar with the VG classes and the best hope of some VG leaking its way into Pantheon classes ;)

• 526 posts
    June 5, 2016 12:29 PM PDT

I am hoping we can see classes like the bloodmage and disciple through the progeny system. Disc is my favorite class of any game I have every played, love playing her in raids with Brotherhood of the spider and rocking the DPS and getting great team heals. The way the skills comboed together I had a flow, it was more an art than a skill.

• 238 posts
    June 12, 2016 1:39 PM PDT
    So the disc was a healing class? Was there a full out dps spec for the monk in VG?
    • 70 posts
    June 12, 2016 2:14 PM PDT

Wig said: So the disc was a healing class? Was there a full out dps spec for the monk in VG?

Yes there was a Monk Class. The Disciple and Monk were two completely different classes, not different specs of the same class. 

The 15 Adventuring Classes of Vanguard are as follows:

Courtesy of Silky Venom keeping their Vanguard Information up on their wiki. 

• 238 posts
    June 12, 2016 5:44 PM PDT
    Thanks for the reply, I was a bit confused and I did think disc was a spec of monk. Thanks for clarifying. I always enjoy playing as melee dps. I have been reading through the pulling thread in the general forum and got excited about the "lost art form" of pulling. I hope they are to bring it back!
    • 70 posts
    June 12, 2016 8:04 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

I am hoping we can see classes like the bloodmage and disciple through the progeny system. Disc is my favorite class of any game I have every played, love playing her in raids with Brotherhood of the spider and rocking the DPS and getting great team heals. The way the skills comboed together I had a flow, it was more an art than a skill.

Good to see another former BotS member. Do you know if there are any more of us former BotS around here?  I must say it was sad to see Organization Drow go offline. A lot of good memories from the Vangaurd days. Speaking of which their are some old videos out their if you just feel like remenising. This youtube channe has a few, I actually think these were all shot by Epicedium, and since he will be at my house next week for BBQ I will have to ask him. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBuPdhcF34ov0lG3_It-2zA 

• 5 posts
    June 22, 2016 4:04 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

When, when, when! lol.

• 172 posts
    August 20, 2016 7:32 AM PDT

Toor said:

Kilsin said:

When, when, when! lol.

Patience grasshopper~

I see Monks as DPS, pullers, corpse draggers and the kings of cool.

This post was edited by Obliquity at August 20, 2016 7:36 AM PDT
    • 164 posts
    January 24, 2017 7:01 PM PST

Wig said: Thanks for the reply, I was a bit confused and I did think disc was a spec of monk. Thanks for clarifying. I always enjoy playing as melee dps. I have been reading through the pulling thread in the general forum and got excited about the "lost art form" of pulling. I hope they are to bring it back!

Disc and monks were very similiar.  In short, a discs and monks both used the similiar weapons, punches and kicks and used jin instead of mana.  Discs did about 1/3rd to a 1/2 as much damage as a monk, but its melee attacks would heal.  They were very unique and fun.  It would be fun to see them in here.  Non-mana using healers are very versatile.

• 43 posts
    February 8, 2017 2:36 AM PST

I'll still stick with the good old school monk!

"Incoming %T, be ready"

FLOP

/group chat "sorry had 5 mobs one sec while I split them"

handful of seconds pass....

"Incoming %t, be ready"

I bring back one mob and while the groups killing it, I run off to grab another. Steady flow, prevents respawns, keeps the group alive and in the game at all times!

Monks with healing / mana...not what I picture their role being.... 

Ogee

This post was edited by Ogee at February 8, 2017 2:37 AM PST
    • 73 posts
    February 15, 2017 6:34 AM PST

I would like to see one kind of monk being a true martial artist, taking on a mobile DPS role, being unarmed or wielding a staff or shurikens, with an impressive moving ability, climbing/bouncing on regular walls, and other physical prowesses like parrying arrows, with a great moving speed.

I also see a second type of monk, in a more religous and spiritual way, being able to do utility spell-like abilities, like heals, ki force fields (i like that one), blessings, levitation, area cleansing, seeing in the future (that would be cool to implement, several mechanics would be possible, like bringing slow-motion into a zone,  seeing all the actions being in queue in a clear visual way), talking to animals (possibly common with druid), with uncanny senses and a 6th sense.

Cheers

This post was edited by Gideon at February 15, 2017 6:37 AM PST
    • 1 posts
    January 26, 2020 11:37 AM PST

Just a thought, maybe this has been covered already, what about a CC for monks such as a "choke hold" a short term black out, or maybe take the monk out of combat to "arm bar" to keep a mob on the ground after a throw, just think it would be a cool utility for and off tank.  "Head Butt"? stuns are great but a true CC would be cool at least maybe one emergency type.

• 1127 posts
    January 26, 2020 2:28 PM PST

Spinality said:

Just a thought, maybe this has been covered already, what about a CC for monks such as a "choke hold" a short term black out, or maybe take the monk out of combat to "arm bar" to keep a mob on the ground after a throw, just think it would be a cool utility for and off tank.  "Head Butt"? stuns are great but a true CC would be cool at least maybe one emergency type.

Besides the 3-second stun 'Blast of Chakra', the tank-type Rescue 'Iron Palm' that forces the mob to attack you for 3 seconds and generates high Hate seems to be the emergency utility. I think the CC intention is for the Monk to control the mob by tanking it for a short period when calamity threatens.

A longer mez-type for utility while still focusing on DPS wouldn't upset me at all though :)

• 494 posts
    January 26, 2020 9:52 PM PST

Monk feign death pulling is a type of CC as well. I think they have to be careful how much true CC they add to the game, as they don't want to make Enchanters/Bards feel unwanted for their "main" role.

• 1060 posts
    January 27, 2020 4:45 PM PST

Fragile said:

Monk feign death pulling is a type of CC as well. I think they have to be careful how much true CC they add to the game, as they don't want to make Enchanters/Bards feel unwanted for their "main" role.

I know I have been assuming that Bard will be CC (and hoping Necro too) but has this been confirmed for Bard's primary role and I missed it or are you making the same assumption as me?

I agree that monk FD is amazing utility, as well as stun being great CC but I don't feel either are as reliable as something like mez (to make a primary CC role player feel unwanted).  Although FD is amazing "when successful and not broken from damage."  I personally don't think FD will ever trump a hard mez, but there will likely be unmezable targets too.

This post was edited by Darch at January 27, 2020 4:45 PM PST
    • 494 posts
    January 27, 2020 5:07 PM PST

I was just saying that they probably don't want to give a hard Mez to a monk, as Rog/Enchanter already have them - we are to assume Bards will as well. Paladin has shimmers too...so at some point, that line needs to be drawn.

• 1127 posts
    January 27, 2020 10:08 PM PST

Darch said:

I know I have been assuming that Bard will be CC (and hoping Necro too) but has this been confirmed for Bard's primary role and I missed it or are you making the same assumption as me?

In Joppa's infamous interview with Baz in Apr. 2018, he says definitively that Bard will be CC. His very next sentence is where he says that he is "confident" that Bard will be in by launch.

Joppa Interview

The important info starts at 3:00 min in.