Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 724 posts
    May 22, 2016 2:19 PM PDT

After watching an old VG video, the thought occurred to me...will Pantheon characters have the option to wear visible capes? (searched but didn't find anything on the topic)

- should they exist at all? If so, should they be available at all levels, or only for high level characters?

- should they come with a hood? Should they be available in different lengths?

- should they provide stats, or be just a fancy piece of clothing?

- should capes only have plain colors? Or should they come with images, symbols, ...?

- should players be able to provide images for the capes?

Personally, I'm not a friend of capes. If they are in game, I hope they are an optional piece of clothing.

This post was edited by Sarim at May 22, 2016 2:21 PM PDT
    • 112 posts
    May 22, 2016 5:50 PM PDT

wouldnt mind if capes were limited to higher levels, seems like a lofty bit of clothing someone just starting out shouldnt have. basic cloaks, maybe with a hood, are another matter.

i like the idea of player images on the capes, relly liked that in GW1.  i would prefer, if it were done, for any and all logos to be designed by VR, so we dont get anything absurd.

• 66 posts
    May 23, 2016 12:00 AM PDT

If any logos would be on the cape, i feel like it could be like a guild logo. 

• 232 posts
    May 23, 2016 6:53 AM PDT

Capes have been a mixed bag for me in the past, but I'd like to see them in Pantheon.  Some key points for me:

• Ensure there is a variety shapes, sizes, and colors available.  While I liked VG capes, there could have been more variety for sure.
    • Ability to toggle hood and cape visuals independantly so I can choose which parts to display.
    • Cloth animation quality goes a long way in making these feel complete.  I feel like WoW and EQ2 did a fairly good job of this.
    • As Furty said, guild crest on capes would be a nice touch too :)
    • 384 posts
    May 23, 2016 7:13 AM PDT

DAoC is the first MMO that remember that finally had cloaks and you could choose a guild emblem to put on there as well, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure you could put the hood up and down too... you know for when it was raining. =) 

I would definitely like to see cloaks in Pantheon! If there is a guild emblem generator it would be cool if we could emblazon that on out cloaks, and it would also be nice for them to have stats on em.

• 613 posts
    May 23, 2016 10:01 AM PDT

Malsirian said:

DAoC is the first MMO that remember that finally had cloaks and you could choose a guild emblem to put on there as well, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure you could put the hood up and down too... you know for when it was raining. =) 

I would definitely like to see cloaks in Pantheon! If there is a guild emblem generator it would be cool if we could emblazon that on out cloaks, and it would also be nice for them to have stats on em.

I remember this also.  It was a great feature.  I hope they are able to do that here.  GW2 had some sort of emblem you would put on your armor.   It does not work all the time.

I think the cape is a good feature and it looks good too. 

Ox 

• 271 posts
    May 23, 2016 3:32 PM PDT

Never liked capes :)

For starters, they are unrealistic, as most weapon handling disallows for a long, flowing/billowing piece of cloth round your back. That aside, they always amount to 99,99% of the populace having them on /show, making it extremely ridiculous, looks-wise.

I know i'm a minority in this, so as long as they can be hidden? Yeah, whatever, have capes ^^

• 23 posts
    May 23, 2016 6:46 PM PDT

On a more serious note I like capes/cloaks.  But you could include the look on a piece of chest armor/headpiece set.  Maybe the option is to make them purely cosmetic to appease everyone that wants/doesnt want them.  Or give them detrimental stats for every positive to allow boosts in wisdom but loss of perception for example. 

• 724 posts
    May 23, 2016 10:39 PM PDT

LOL! I had exactly that ^^ picture in mind when making my original post :)

And yeah, that's why I suggested that capes should be stat-less, so you can choose if you want to wear them or not. If capes do have stats, they are mandatory to wear.

• 85 posts
    May 23, 2016 11:11 PM PDT

Personally, I like the look of cloaks over capes, but that's just me.  I'd love to see either/both of them in game.  However, I don't necessarily think I'd want to fight in one.  I mean, a cloak would seemingly hinder movement in battle, and a cape could prove worrisome as well.  Wearing one in a fight should give like -15 dex or something.  I don't think they should do anything to help your fighting abilities...maybe caster-types (or rogues) could get away with them, but...probably not.  

I do think they would be fun to wear around town, especially if they have guild (or faction, or race) insignias on the back...it's always fun to show off.  They could also be made to be more than just a showpiece; they could have "social type" stats.  Maybe they could give minor buffs to diplo/political type stuff?  Faction stuff?  Guild stuff?  Trading/haggling abilities?            

Also, toggleable hoods would be good.  

• 769 posts
    May 25, 2016 6:32 AM PDT

Capes are great. Cloaks are great. Toggling Capes, Cloaks, and Hoods, are also great.

• 116 posts
    May 25, 2016 9:29 AM PDT

I'm neutral to capes, but I like the look of cloaks or long coats. Think The wanderer in Diablo2 or Jedi Guardian in SWTOR.

I would also be curious to see what the EQ cloak of flame would look like with a graphic representation. In my mind, this is so bad ass.

• 1303 posts
    May 25, 2016 9:45 AM PDT

Sarim said:

LOL! I had exactly that ^^ picture in mind when making my original post :)

And yeah, that's why I suggested that capes should be stat-less, so you can choose if you want to wear them or not. If capes do have stats, they are mandatory to wear.

I have to admit, I may have spit a little coffee out when I saw that picture. 

It should be an easy enough thing to turn off displaying capes . Maybe so that no one sees it, rather just whether you see it.  Or an option for either / or. 

I dont really have a strong opinion either way. But I will say it seems like it something that pretty regularly gets all jacked up graphically when you're on a mount. Or when you have that massive sword at your side sticking thru the cape. Really distracting.

• 613 posts
    May 25, 2016 11:16 AM PDT

Loved the NO CAPES image Fwick! 

I am still liking them though...  I remember the ones from GW1 and those were intersing back in the day.  I think newer graphics and motion tools make them look pretty cool. 

Ox

• 23 posts
    May 26, 2016 10:56 AM PDT
    I'd rather not. Good-looking capes are tough to do -- realistic fabric is nontrivial, not to mention clipping issues against various races and armor configurations. It is possible to make them look good, but that makes them operationally expensive, and then you just wind up turning them off in raid/group environments for performance optimization.

They're fun, I guess. But this isn't really trying to be a spiritual successor to City of Heroes. I just don't think they're worth the trouble.
    • 79 posts
    May 26, 2016 11:02 AM PDT

Capes are for super heroes. I think they look goofy in a high fantasy game. Maybe cloaks with hoods but that seems like more of a cosmetic thing. They obviously cause some strong reactions from both sides so a toggle on/off would be the best approach if they are in the game.

• 613 posts
    May 26, 2016 11:45 AM PDT

internalprime8 said:

Capes are for super heroes. I think they look goofy in a high fantasy game. Maybe cloaks with hoods but that seems like more of a cosmetic thing. They obviously cause some strong reactions from both sides so a toggle on/off would be the best approach if they are in the game.

Maybe that is the best option.  Have them and be able to toggle them off/on if needed. 

Ox

• 3016 posts
    May 26, 2016 11:50 AM PDT

Furty said:

If any logos would be on the cape, i feel like it could be like a guild logo. 

Yeah guild logo would be good I think :)

• 39 posts
    May 27, 2016 1:25 PM PDT

Oxillion said:

Malsirian said:

I remember this also.  It was a great feature.  I hope they are able to do that here.  GW2 had some sort of emblem you would put on your armor.   It does not work all the time.

I think the cape is a good feature and it looks good too. 

Ox 

Ultima Online had cloaks befor any other MMO =)

• 121 posts
    May 30, 2016 9:59 AM PDT

I loved the cloaks with hoods in Vanguard that could be toggled on and off.  The ones in Archeage had guild emblem you could put on them.  Cosmetic but added a cool feeling to my character..felt all rangerish and such.

• 2138 posts
    May 30, 2016 3:46 PM PDT

I like capes/shawls for the extra armor slot- as far as looks I think it would be interesting to have to discover the look certain capes/shawls have- and have to make choices not only for the armor classification, but also for the looks!

• 79 posts
    May 31, 2016 7:26 AM PDT

qalyar said: I'd rather not. Good-looking capes are tough to do -- realistic fabric is nontrivial, not to mention clipping issues against various races and armor configurations. It is possible to make them look good, but that makes them operationally expensive, and then you just wind up turning them off in raid/group environments for performance optimization. They're fun, I guess. But this isn't really trying to be a spiritual successor to City of Heroes. I just don't think they're worth the trouble.

I agree. All things being equal, sure, capes look great, when done well (hung from epaulets, nothing over the shoulder/arms), but they are difficult to implement well, without a significant performance penalty, I would imagine. I would be just as happy doing without if need be.