Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

1 zone that flags you for PvP when you enter it.

This topic has been closed.
    • 338 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:08 AM PDT

A long time ago I experienced EQ1 on the Rallos Zek server and it was a great way to play the game, full of danger and politics.

But over time it has been proven that PvP servers lag behind "blue" servers in populations and many times are shut down.

How would people feel about just 1 zone in the game being PvP enabled with some objectives that could be fought over ? Possibly some tradeskill resources or some kind of base you could claim for your guild.

In DAOC there was a dungeon area called Darkness Falls if I remember correctly and it was a ton of fun to have battles in there between the 3 factions.

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

• 1434 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:20 AM PDT

They could have a zone like the arena in EQ. That was pretty sweet.

I'm pretty sure there will be more than enough people to fill a few PvP servers. When EQ was in its prime, there were 3 or 4 pvp servers and they all had healthy populations. I would guess today, if they can recreate the PvE environments from EQ/VG, they will be even more popular (pvp is more commonplace now). There hasn't been an mmo with something worthwhile to fight over in a long, imo.

This post was edited by Dullahan at May 16, 2016 6:23 AM PDT
    • 7 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:28 AM PDT

Look, if enough paying customers want the Pantheon developers to waste time on PVP zones/servers, then so be it. However, I don't want to the developers wasting a single minute on "class balance" for the purposes of PVP.

Just like Rallos Zek, if Warriors are at a significant disadvantage to Shaman/Mages in PVP, then the solution is to NOT play a warrior if you intend to PVP.

The solution is NOT to water down all the classes for the sake of PVP balance.

I know this post sounds like it has a little "heat" in it, and that is in no way directed toward the OP, but I'm tired of seeing games with great PVE potential having their characters watered down to a level of mediocre "sameness" for the sake of PVP balance.

This post was edited by BitterClinger at May 16, 2016 6:29 AM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    May 16, 2016 6:35 AM PDT

BitterClinger said:

Look, if enough paying customers want the Pantheon developers to waste time on PVP zones/servers, then so be it. However, I don't want to the developers wasting a single minute on "class balance" for the purposes of PVP.

Just like Rallos Zek, if Warriors are at a significant disadvantage to Shaman/Mages in PVP, then the solution is to NOT play a warrior if you intend to PVP.

I know this post sounds like it has a little "heat" in it, and that is in no way directed toward the OP, but I'm tired of seeing games with great PVE potential having their characters watered down to a level of mediocre "sameness" for the sake of PVP balance.

As an avid PvPer, I agree wholeheartedly. I've said many times, I thought EQ PvP to be the best I've experienced purely because they preserved the class diversity.

The developers have also confirmed many times that PvP will not interfere with class mechanics or balance or PvE in general.

• 428 posts
    May 16, 2016 7:26 AM PDT

BitterClinger said:

I'm tired of people not knowing what they are talking about posting before research,

There is ZERO reason why a PVP balance has to affect PVE.  All you have to do is add code that triggers PVE stats or PVP stats.  Everquest 2 did great at this.  PVP balance changes never affected PVE as it was different coding to allow this.  A lot of games do this and never affect PVE.  

• 7 posts
    May 16, 2016 7:41 AM PDT

Kalgore said:

I'm tired of people not knowing what they are talking about posting before research,

Wow, so no MMORPGs have been impacted due to PVP balance considerations. That's an interesting point of view.

I agree "there's no reason", but it happens repeatedly. I'm glad to hear EQ2 was completely immune to this, but EQ1 was impacted, DAoC was impacted, WoW was impacted, and the list goes on and on and on.

• 801 posts
    May 16, 2016 7:43 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

BitterClinger said:

As an avid PvPer, I agree wholeheartedly. I've said many times, I thought EQ PvP to be the best I've experienced purely because they preserved the class diversity.

The developers have also confirmed many times that PvP will not interfere with class mechanics or balance or PvE in general.

and EQ was never about PVP, to think

• 2130 posts
    May 16, 2016 8:08 AM PDT

PvP doesn't just magically lag behind other servers. They fall behind and die because of poor development.

Plenty of games have kept their PvP alive and successful for many, many years. WoW is a notable example. The reason is because Blizzard knows their ****.

• 1434 posts
    May 16, 2016 8:24 AM PDT

Crazzie said: 

and EQ was never about PVP, to think

Ya, it wasn't but to me, pvp unlocked the magic in EQ. It just added a whole new sphere of gameplay and so much depth to roleplay, politics and all player interactions. To me, it was a perfect game for PvP, because the content progression was a perfect source of conflict.

• 9115 posts
    May 16, 2016 8:33 AM PDT

This has already been addressed, PvP will not have any impact or effect on PvE servers, if there is enough interest we will happily open up separate PvP servers and tweak rulesets to make them fun on top of the base game but there will not be any PvP on PvE servers.

I am going to go ahead and close this thread as there are already PvP threads up and we have no further information on PvP at this time, we will evaluate interest during testing phases.