Forums » The Summoner

Summoning your Pet?

• 38 posts
    April 13, 2016 5:28 AM PDT

Just a thought and would like to see what everyone thinks about this. What if a summoner could go out, cast a spell on any mob (with limitations) or go trough a quest (or multiple quests) in order to summon one of their pets? Instead of just getting a spell to summon a fire elemental (or whatever) there is a quest that requires you to go into a volcano and do a ritual that allows you to summon it later? I think this could open up a nice aspect of immersion and so fulfillment of getting that super rare rock golem that can tank nameds. Thoughts?!

• 38 posts
    April 13, 2016 2:21 PM PDT

WoW did this to an extent. Warlocks had to subdue their pet in order to summon them. This was a pretty simplistic approach. FF14 had a similar approach but on a slighter bigger scale as you were transported to a floating isle and had to subude the beast in order to summon them. 

I think this is a fantastic include for pets. Earning your pet is way better IMO. EQ had the research system, which was still a sense of accomplishment, but i think the immersion factor is way more prevalent when you need to complete a quest to obtain that pet. The idea of subduing it is great, but i think it could be expanded a bit more to truly make it a special experience. 

• 41 posts
    April 13, 2016 7:52 PM PDT
    I really like the idea, both for the immersion factor and for the added difficulty and extra work to be put in to grab a particular pet. It's fine to be able to just use a spell for the basics or early on, but I would absolutely love to have to quest or complete some kind of arc to obtain higher level or unique pets. It would give us some alternate advancement to work towards and could also expand the class capabilities if we're able to summon a particular pet with very unique and/or useful skills.
    • 38 posts
    April 14, 2016 12:01 AM PDT
    I think this could also open up to a variety of pets, that like you said speaknoevil, with unique skills. Could you imagine going out with a group or raid to subdue a dragon for AoE dps pet or an Ice Giant for a tank with a snare? The amount of depth that could be gone into here is astronomical and I think could deff make a huge impact, and something new and fresh, for a traditional class!
    • 108 posts
    April 14, 2016 3:17 PM PDT

IF summoners were to go the route of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Heart pets then setting up a line of quests where the summoner has to make contracts with the various elemental lords to summon their aspects/servants would be pretty cool.  Imangine traveling to the Plane of Elemental Fire to sign a contract with the Lord of Flames in order to summon one of the Ember Guardians, the Lord's own personal bodyguards, to aid you in times of need.  That would be pretty epic.

That said, I really, really, really hope that the devs go a different route with summoner pets.  I want to walk into battle and start summoning creatures to their doom, not babysit a mindless elemental.  What's more contracts and such could be even better with this model than above.  Imangine your level 1 summoner, he gets to summon basic stuff like crows, rodents, maybe a dog or wolf of some kind.  As the summoner grows in power he can summon more creatures and stronger creatures: packs of wolves, swarms of rodents, horses, rhinos, lions, and tigers, and bears (oh my).  Then the summone eventually opens up pacts and contracts; specializations that change how your summons work.  Infernal contracts changing your wolves into hellhounds, celestial contractis turning your horses into unicorns, pestilence contracts making all your summons carry diseases, and pacts with old ones too terrible to name changing your summons into mad creatures of twisted flesh too horrible for mortal minds to comprehend.

And the ease of creating such abilities!  Every single ability could be "summons (your level)/x - y creatures of level z to fight for you" with pacts changing the model and one or two base statistics/abilities of all pets.

I know it'll never happen, but a man can dream.

• 41 posts
    April 14, 2016 7:00 PM PDT

I'm personally a bit partial toward a permanent pet as I always felt comfortable having Jobober at my side no matter what I was running around doing. That said, I really like the idea you present Gurt about pets and growth as we grow in power. It would be awesome to see a tiered system of sorts where you can unlock a higher level of a previous pet or a special version per se of a prior pet to add some variety and intrigue to the class. I could definitely see a specialization of sorts happening when it comes to a certain element or type of pet we have, though I wouldn't want to be forced into specialization if we have the option to stay more well rounded. 

• 108 posts
    April 14, 2016 9:20 PM PDT

Speaknoevil said:

I'm personally a bit partial toward a permanent pet as I always felt comfortable having Jobober at my side no matter what I was running around doing. That said, I really like the idea you present Gurt about pets and growth as we grow in power. It would be awesome to see a tiered system of sorts where you can unlock a higher level of a previous pet or a special version per se of a prior pet to add some variety and intrigue to the class. I could definitely see a specialization of sorts happening when it comes to a certain element or type of pet we have, though I wouldn't want to be forced into specialization if we have the option to stay more well rounded. 

I can definetly understand the the attraction to having a single permanent pet, but ever since WoW permanent pets just feel so "hunter" to me.  WoW warlocks really diferentiated themselves from what I was expecting a pet class to be with all their pet sacc abilities and quick summons, it really felt like you were using a tool - exactly what I felt the Mage pets in EQ were supposed to represent.  This contrasted well with the hunter who wanted to keep his pet alive.

Also, I know it doesn't count for much, but when I hear the name "Summoner" I want to summon!  Just always summoning all the time! Let the elementalists and necromancers and beastlords have their persistant pets to care for, I want minions to saccrifice for my own personal benefit.

That said pet classes are always super fun and I will roll a summoner, it just may not be my main.  Also if they do decided to go permanent pets on summoner I will carry all my wishes to the skellington horde camp in necromancerville.  But I do feel that the throw-away minions pet class would both be more appropriate and have more potential specializations on a summoner.  Kinda hard to have celestial skellingtons, you know.

• 703 posts
    April 14, 2016 11:43 PM PDT

I don't think being able to subdue random mobs and keep them as pets permanently is a good idea. Any "good" pet becomes a must-have for every summoner then ("Group looking for a summoner, must have pet xyz"). I could see it working in specific zones, but you would only keep the pet until you leave the zone. Although then it would be a kind of super-charm, and something enchanters (or other charming classes) wouldn't be too happy about.

Doing initiatory quests to obtain your summoned pets would be cool though, instead of just buying/researching a spell and putting it in your book. Maybe with quests of increasing difficulty: To summon your first firepet, you just need to go near an open fire. To summon the ultimate fire pet, you would have to go to Mount Doom (so to speak ;)

• 4 posts
    June 13, 2016 4:29 PM PDT

I'll be honest, I love the idea of controlling the elements as a summoner. I think it's the defining factor of what a summoner is and I wouldn't like to see it changed. However, I would like Pantheon to have it's own unique edge, so here's my idea...

If anyone has ever read the Furies of Calderon (awesome series!) then you'll know that people were able to control the elements, and you had certain jobs depending on the elements you could master. The elements were wind, water, earth, fire, wood, and metal. I think it'd be cool to throw a couple more elements in there like wood and metal. I can see metal being a pure blademaster, while wood is more of a stout supportive type.

I also love to see class abilities being intermixed with tradeskills. I think it'd be cool to have a summoner have the ability to use different kinds of stone, metals, water, etc. to summon elementals. Perhaps it just changes the color of the mob a little. For instance, if you use a piece of marble to summon a stone elemental then it'd have a marbled skin.

I like having the elements take on a particular "class", so my thoughts on this subject are:

Wind: rogue-type with backstab ability and gives the group a haste buff

Water: a healer who doesn't engage the mob but sits back and plays a supportive role

Fire: a pure wizard who applies dots/stacking debuffs and buffs the group with a fire shield

Stone: a pure tank of a pet with the taunt ability and excells against melee-type mobs

Wood: tankiness similar to the stone, but excells against caster-type mobs. Has the root ability but cannot taunt

Metal: as mentioned above, a pure blademaster. Upfront melee combat and buffs the group with critical hit chance

• 72 posts
    July 1, 2016 9:16 AM PDT

ELutz04 said:

Wind: rogue-type with backstab ability and gives the group a haste buff

Water: a healer who doesn't engage the mob but sits back and plays a supportive role

Fire: a pure wizard who applies dots/stacking debuffs and buffs the group with a fire shield

Stone: a pure tank of a pet with the taunt ability and excells against melee-type mobs

Wood: tankiness similar to the stone, but excells against caster-type mobs. Has the root ability but cannot taunt

Metal: as mentioned above, a pure blademaster. Upfront melee combat and buffs the group with critical hit chance

I love this, but I think it would give too many other classes heartburn. Even if those pet classes were but a fraction of effectiveness when compared to a player, we'd never hear the end of it. I personally would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see a healer pet of some sort since I've always taken a true support as a main (Priest, Cleric, etc). It also opens doors for some interesting duo combos (Rogue pet for pally partner, healer pet for warrior partner, tank pet with shaman partner, etc).

Talv

• 194 posts
    August 27, 2016 10:26 AM PDT

I honestly like the way EQ 1 summoned your pets. By lore and idea of your class you have studied to be a Summoner. You grew up learning the arcane to summon these powerful creatures to do your bidding from another plane. However you had to reagents to bring power which you used malachite for your earth pet, agate for your fire pet, pearls for the air pet and topaz for water.

I lean toward the ability to summon the individual pets for the circumstances and the tactics of game play you need. With the mana climates, weather system your going to experience a lot of changes that will effect tactical game play. The weather may effect our pets aswell.

I do however lean toward the idea that once I summon and elemental it stays with me and does not de-spawn at each zone. The old EQ did in the early days. I went thru so many reagents it was a pain to rebuff recast spells and weapons it did become a little tiresome.

I'm pasting this from a previous post....Air pets in EQ 1 had stun, Fire pets had a fire damage shield, Water pets back stabbed mobs when placed behind the mob. Earth pets would root the mob in place. So they had some abilities along with the armor and weapons you could give them. I would like to see this same concept visited in pantheon.

I think we have to re-member to keep it simple and then cool features and abilities can be added later.

• 8 posts
    September 4, 2016 9:16 AM PDT

Dalinsia said:

I honestly like the way EQ 1 summoned your pets. By lore and idea of your class you have studied to be a Summoner. You grew up learning the arcane to summon these powerful creatures to do your bidding from another plane. However you had to reagents to bring power which you used malachite for your earth pet, agate for your fire pet, pearls for the air pet and topaz for water.

I lean toward the ability to summon the individual pets for the circumstances and the tactics of game play you need. With the mana climates, weather system your going to experience a lot of changes that will effect tactical game play. The weather may effect our pets aswell.

I do however lean toward the idea that once I summon and elemental it stays with me and does not de-spawn at each zone. The old EQ did in the early days. I went thru so many reagents it was a pain to rebuff recast spells and weapons it did become a little tiresome.

I'm pasting this from a previous post....Air pets in EQ 1 had stun, Fire pets had a fire damage shield, Water pets back stabbed mobs when placed behind the mob. Earth pets would root the mob in place. So they had some abilities along with the armor and weapons you could give them. I would like to see this same concept visited in pantheon.

I think we have to re-member to keep it simple and then cool features and abilities can be added later.

I concur with you on this about the reagents, along with the armor.

Something that killed me from EQ1, was even to this day, you could never see the pet armor on your pet (correct me if i am wrong as I havent dropped in EQ live in a Looooooong time). I think it would be awesome to see all the different elemental pets with not only the neat looking pet weapons, but the armor that we put on them too.

• 136 posts
    September 18, 2016 1:39 PM PDT

TVirus90x said:

Dalinsia said:

I concur with you on this about the reagents, along with the armor.

Something that killed me from EQ1, was even to this day, you could never see the pet armor on your pet (correct me if i am wrong as I havent dropped in EQ live in a Looooooong time). I think it would be awesome to see all the different elemental pets with not only the neat looking pet weapons, but the armor that we put on them too.

At the very least, if we cannot SEE the pet's armour, we should be able to do a /petreport and have the pet tell us what they have equipped. Hopefully the pet window will tell us what buffs are on our pet...

• 94 posts
    October 13, 2016 12:55 PM PDT

I will add my voice to the I want a permenate pet by my side. Now this does not mean we couldnt have a few spells that summon a temp pet as well that does something for a short time, which could be either damage to the enemy or buffing the party in some way.