Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Upgrades!

• 34 posts
    April 11, 2016 1:40 AM PDT
    I know this is a long ways down the road, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves and would ultimately cause me to walk away.

I really enjoy end game raiding and taking the time to learn the fights and collecting those phat lewts! That being said, we spend a lot of time trying to get those BiS items. All is fine and dandy until an expansion comes out.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, do not have a system that, when an expansion comes out, common item drops are better than the end game gear of the previous expansion. WoW is notorious for this and is one of the main reasons why I will never play that game again. You spend a year getting all the really good stuff just to spend a day or two and have a full new set of greens.

I feel like expansions should be just that, an expansion of more content that is a little more challenging that doesn't make the previous content obsolete. Especially when it comes to gear and upgrades.

*rant off*
    • 1468 posts
    April 11, 2016 2:58 AM PDT

VattoLoco said: I know this is a long ways down the road, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves and would ultimately cause me to walk away. I really enjoy end game raiding and taking the time to learn the fights and collecting those phat lewts! That being said, we spend a lot of time trying to get those BiS items. All is fine and dandy until an expansion comes out. Please, for the love of all that is holy, do not have a system that, when an expansion comes out, common item drops are better than the end game gear of the previous expansion. WoW is notorious for this and is one of the main reasons why I will never play that game again. You spend a year getting all the really good stuff just to spend a day or two and have a full new set of greens. I feel like expansions should be just that, an expansion of more content that is a little more challenging that doesn't make the previous content obsolete. Especially when it comes to gear and upgrades. *rant off*

You'll be happy to know that they have already said they won't be doing what World of Warcraft does and that expansions will be more about expanding content side ways rather than making old expansions obsolete.

• 34 posts
    April 11, 2016 3:48 AM PDT

Thank goodness! That is quite a relief to hear.

• 363 posts
    April 11, 2016 3:32 PM PDT

That being said, Vatto, I seriously doubt they will hold to their guns if sub numbers say otherwise. Hope not, but......

• 106 posts
    April 11, 2016 10:29 PM PDT

A:  Sideways expansion YAY!!!!

B:  They know what kind of numbers to expect from this title..... They know what got them paid and what the focus of this game will be.  I honestly think these guys would shut down the game rather than switch months/years after release to try and get the more popular MMO numbers.  With no big bad studio or investors (well, except those that invested specifically because this wasn't another generic MMO clone) to pressure them, we should be in good hands.

This post was edited by FierinaFuryfist at April 11, 2016 10:29 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    April 12, 2016 2:44 PM PDT

I'm really hoping that gear is de-emphasised generally.  Yes, it's annoying when your level 50 gear you took months to accumulate turns to poop when level cap goes up to 60, but I find it even more annoying when you're not welcome to play certain content without owning certain sets of gear.

I would love to see VR come up with a way that tactics and skill are more important than gear so that these issues aren't issues anymore.  Sure, top gear will give you the edge, but please don't make it so you just may as well not turn up to the Dragons raid unless you're in Planar gear (or some such).

• 27 posts
    April 12, 2016 2:52 PM PDT

disposalist said:

I'm really hoping that gear is de-emphasised generally.  Yes, it's annoying when your level 50 gear you took months to accumulate turns to poop when level cap goes up to 60, but I find it even more annoying when you're not welcome to play certain content without owning certain sets of gear.

I would love to see VR come up with a way that tactics and skill are more important than gear so that these issues aren't issues anymore.  Sure, top gear will give you the edge, but please don't make it so you just may as well not turn up to the Dragons raid unless you're in Planar gear (or some such).

I agree, tho they have said gear management will be necessary. What I hope that means is, say, you will need fire resist gear of some kind to go to a volcano, but not the one specific piece of fire resist gear that is hands down better than any other, and if you don't get that one item you can't come to play.