Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Languages?

• 131 posts
    April 9, 2016 7:04 PM PDT

So I've been lurking for a bit and decided tonight that my pledging was inevitable...took the plunge and drank the koo.....errr....bought in, yay!

Lots that I have been wondering about, and forgive me if this is already common knowledge please.

Will there be languages in the game?  Any aspect that helps immersion is a plus for me, and I think languages, for the pcs as well as the npcs, are a great feature that help make a game world more believable.

I also really enjoy having to learn the mobs languages over time to understand all the smack they are talking about me while we fight.  I do hope that we can expect all of the fun smack talk from mobs BTW!

Also....thieves cant!

How do you guys feel about languages??

• 1714 posts
    April 9, 2016 7:41 PM PDT

There are a couple threads on languanges with some varying opinions. Personally I think they're cool and add a bit of immersive flavor, but I don't think they should block anyone from grouping or getting something done unless it is part of an epic quest. 

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2769/in-game-languages

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2656/languages

• 131 posts
    April 9, 2016 7:46 PM PDT

Thanks for the links!  Will read up on past discussions.

I agree that they should not be an impediment to grouping of course.  Having a "common" language makes sense.

• 59 posts
    April 10, 2016 2:21 AM PDT

Satine said:

I agree that they should not be an impediment to grouping of course.  Having a "common" language makes sense.

Agreed.  Acquiring rare languages directly was also fun, then training others at time was something to do on a long boat ride. :)

• 1468 posts
    April 10, 2016 4:46 AM PDT

Zathris said:

Satine said:

Agreed.  Acquiring rare languages directly was also fun, then training others at time was something to do on a long boat ride. :)

Yeah I'd like to see this again. Little things like that add something to the game that most other MMOs lack these days which is a shame.

• 163 posts
    April 15, 2016 3:49 AM PDT

I agree with wanting to see languages make a comeback. However, in order for it to matter to me, I would like to see it have more of a significance in the role of factioning and questing. If you want to have the best of factions with another race... maybe it's best to have knowledge of their language?

If you wanted to turn it into an elaborate skill system, you could go for different tribal and regional dialects.

This post was edited by Gadgets at April 15, 2016 5:51 AM PDT
    • 18 posts
    April 15, 2016 3:06 PM PDT
    I want to see quest givers that only talk to amiable players in their NPC race tongue. Like if I gained amiable to ogres then I could get a quest given out by a ogre NPC as long as I learned ogre.

Common tongue should be default for players. Learning a foreign tongue should have perks like ability to gets quests or trade with NPC of a different race.
    • 57 posts
    April 15, 2016 4:32 PM PDT

Gorrax said: I want to see quest givers that only talk to amiable players in their NPC race tongue. Like if I gained amiable to ogres then I could get a quest given out by a ogre NPC as long as I learned ogre. Common tongue should be default for players. Learning a foreign tongue should have perks like ability to gets quests or trade with NPC of a different race.

A strong and definite +1!!