Forums » The Shaman

Shaman, something different for us.

• 137 posts
    March 22, 2017 10:26 AM PDT

Anistosoles said:

Valith said:

I think this is a really neat idea, and captures the tribal element quite well. What if instead of wearing armor to slots, the tattoo would be displayed, granting unique powers but also limiting the defensive ability of the shaman (since the armor is removed). This may be quite inconvenient but would be more realistic and balancing perhaps.

But the tattoo itself would (or could) provide defensive/offensive bonuses, thus no need for armor??

Yup, the power of the item is imbued in the tatoo.  No reason not to include defensive/offensive bonuses just as if you were wearing the piece.  However, I am a little concerned this may be a bit overcomplicated ... if not, great!  I always thought it odd in EQ that a shaman wore chain ... /shrug.

• 536 posts
    March 22, 2017 2:21 PM PDT

msk12 said:

Anistosoles said:

Valith said:

I think this is a really neat idea, and captures the tribal element quite well. What if instead of wearing armor to slots, the tattoo would be displayed, granting unique powers but also limiting the defensive ability of the shaman (since the armor is removed). This may be quite inconvenient but would be more realistic and balancing perhaps.

But the tattoo itself would (or could) provide defensive/offensive bonuses, thus no need for armor??

Yup, the power of the item is imbued in the tatoo.  No reason not to include defensive/offensive bonuses just as if you were wearing the piece.  However, I am a little concerned this may be a bit overcomplicated ... if not, great!  I always thought it odd in EQ that a shaman wore chain ... /shrug.

Exactly! I always picture a shaman wearing rags made of animal hides, leather, etc or next to nothing. However, I'm fairly certain that the devs were limited back then. No reason why using tattooes as a form of physical augmentation couldn't be implemented. If they go with the EQ1 setup, I'm cool with it. Just wish they could give us shamans something to make the other classes go "Whoa, now THAT is freakin cool!" Not a game changer, but would have been nice... 

• 82 posts
    April 4, 2017 10:43 PM PDT

I love the idea of the tattoos. Would be bad ass to see Rocon strutting through town with a full body dragon tattoo! Only problem i can see with that is expansions...unless Clerics get lazer removal and we could start over on a new design.

• 80 posts
    April 15, 2017 9:45 PM PDT

As a Shaman, I would prefer a more primal look myself.  My armor would be made of the skin of the animals I honor, and body paints and glyphic tatoos honoring the spirits would be very interesting.  Although, Shaman tend to commune to the spirits and the dead using something which belonged to, or was apart of the spirit's original body or the person.  Accessories such as bone earrings, and leather/fur bangles and even animal skulls crafted into trinkets would suite Shaman really well in my own oppinion.

tanwedar said:

Monks wore leather armor though. If shamans stay with the trend of wearing chain... yeah... Of course there are always the chainmail bras out there lol.

I noticed in the shaman section of the site, it made mention that Shaman prefer to distance themselves from civilized society and all it's encumberments.  If this is so within lore, then this might suggest that Shaman more than likely would not enjoy wearing highly processed/refined armors such as chainmail.  Instead they would prefer at the very least, re-enforced leathers, bone, and furs to cloak themselves.   Doing so would also reveal their body a bit easier, since it would be based on the primal look, similar to the armor showcased in the Ogre concept art.

This post was edited by Farrinard at April 15, 2017 9:46 PM PDT