Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Unlisted Classes

• 1434 posts
    July 18, 2016 2:30 AM PDT

Another pure healer would be my request. I think another option needs to be there. It doesn't matter how they heal. Could be martial arts like a disciple, or a necro healer like bloodmage. Could be someone that creates healing orbs, fountains or totems.

All that is important to me is that they are heavily dependent on others and class interdependency remains intact. I don't want strong solo skills or damage dealing, just a primary focus on healing.

I'm afraid without another class like this, we may find ourselves in a situation like EQ where we're doing a lot of waiting around for clerics.

• 1303 posts
    July 18, 2016 5:00 AM PDT

Necromancer, all the way. I loved the nuance and finesse it took to really play a necro well in EQ back in the day. There were so many horrible necromancers, and I guess that made it harder for me to get groups. But when I did it was always really cool to hear someone comment about the fact that I was really helping. 

• 76 posts
    July 18, 2016 8:46 AM PDT

Yeah i know it has been said but beaslord/beastmaster please please please!.

i love pet classes but they are almost all ranged and i don't mind that. my first char will be a summoner no question but melee pet classes i adore. 

another class that did this was ffxi puppetmaster which i also thought was damn cool. but yeah melee pet class. 

you must do it please :D

• 279 posts
    July 18, 2016 10:10 AM PDT
    Dullahan if I've understood the FAQ and things they've said. Shaman and Druids will be healing roughly on par with clerics (iirc the word equal was bandied about). Though it's possible I read what I wanted to see lol.
    • 2 posts
    July 18, 2016 1:07 PM PDT

Necro, Eq1 style.

• 178 posts
    July 18, 2016 6:42 PM PDT

Bard has already been mentioned.

DAoC had a lot of great classes. Of the three realms, the two that were my favorite were the Minstrel and the Mercenary of the Albion realm. ALthough, not really fair for a PvE MMO as DAoC was PVP Realm oriented.

• 70 posts
    July 18, 2016 7:27 PM PDT

Necromancer, followed by Beastlord followed by maybe a Bone Dancer from DAoC.

This post was edited by hackerssuck at July 18, 2016 7:28 PM PDT
    • 184 posts
    July 18, 2016 8:13 PM PDT

I really want a Necromancer that is a combination of EQ’s and Vanguards. The pet (Abomination from Vanguard) was the best thing since slice bread, and with the option for Necro’s to harvest body parts from dead mob’s and equip items through the graft process truly made this an amazing pet class.

Rint

• 70 posts
    July 19, 2016 3:32 PM PDT

Rint said:

I really want a Necromancer that is a combination of EQ’s and Vanguards. The pet (Abomination from Vanguard) was the best thing since slice bread, and with the option for Necro’s to harvest body parts from dead mob’s and equip items through the graft process truly made this an amazing pet class.

Rint

I had forgotten this aspect of Vanguard's Abomination.  I miss Vanguard.  The emulator is trying, but it's slow. :(

• 184 posts
    July 19, 2016 4:36 PM PDT

I really enjoyed the skin grafts... My Abomination being able to take the appearance of a slained mob, and the rare ones were my favorites such as the Skin of Zaygius, The Drape of Zaraax...etc... If Pantheon can successfully mix the EQ1 & Vanguard Necro and pets and throw in their own secret sauce I will be a long time subscriber....

Rint

• 999 posts
    July 19, 2016 4:39 PM PDT

Bloodmage + EQ resource management would be mine.

*Edit* If specialization was still a thing have a base class called Dark Adept with one focus going EQ/VG necro and the other going VG Bloodmage.

This post was edited by Raidan at July 19, 2016 4:42 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    July 19, 2016 6:48 PM PDT

Sunmistress said: Dullahan if I've understood the FAQ and things they've said. Shaman and Druids will be healing roughly on par with clerics (iirc the word equal was bandied about). Though it's possible I read what I wanted to see lol.

Theres utility classes and then theres healers. To me, the cleric description sounds very pure healer with some utility. The shaman sounds a lot like the EQ shaman with utility, some dps and some healing.

Maybe it will all balance out. Hopefully that is the case. In EQ, it didn't work that way and 1 class, the cleric, was mandatory for a strong group because their healing (again, mainly due to CH) was just too important. That is why I think there needs to be another pure healer.

• 279 posts
    July 19, 2016 7:46 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

Sunmistress said: Dullahan if I've understood the FAQ and things they've said. Shaman and Druids will be healing roughly on par with clerics (iirc the word equal was bandied about). Though it's possible I read what I wanted to see lol.

Theres utility classes and then theres healers. To me, the cleric description sounds very pure healer with some utility. The shaman sounds a lot like the EQ shaman with utility, some dps and some healing.

Maybe it will all balance out. Hopefully that is the case. In EQ, it didn't work that way and 1 class, the cleric, was mandatory for a strong group because their healing (again, mainly due to CH) was just too important. That is why I think there needs to be another pure healer.

Whos to say clerics will even be a "pure" healer in the way you are thinking? 

For all we know based off the class description and the (out of date i know, bear with me) Kickstarter info, the Cleric might be capable of offtanking, rooting, and stunning, and throwing out the divine reproval of their deity, And that Shieldwall sounds like it could have interesting implications as well. I mean healer equality worked (well) in Vanguard IMO, So i don't think its going to be to big of an issue. 

Granted a Cleric could Offtank/Root/Stun in EQ as well, especially after they fixed the AC hardcap (which was about the Time they got Yaulp 5, which removed the need to /sit to regen mana). I think most chose not too, because most players generally don't use the full breadth of their classes reperttoire (spelling?) regardless of which class it is.

• 1434 posts
    July 19, 2016 8:00 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

Dullahan said:

Whos to say clerics will even be a "pure" healer in the way you are thinking? 

For all we know based off the class description and the (out of date i know, bear with me) Kickstarter info, the Cleric might be capable of offtanking, rooting, and stunning, and throwing out the divine reproval of their deity, And that Shieldwall sounds like it could have interesting implications as well. I mean healer equality worked (well) in Vanguard IMO, So i don't think its going to be to big of an issue. 

Granted a Cleric could Offtank/Root/Stun in EQ as well, especially after they fixed the AC hardcap (which was about the Time they got Yaulp 5, which removed the need to /sit to regen mana). I think most chose not too, because most players generally don't use the full breadth of their classes reperttoire (spelling?) regardless of which class it is.

It says right in the clerics description that they are the master of basically every form of healing. That doesn't mean they won't have utility. I'm just pointing out the possible flaw in making a single class the "best" at their role.

• 279 posts
    July 19, 2016 9:00 PM PDT

Thats not what i read

"The Clerics have mastered the restorative arts of their Order, allowing them to use their many potent healing abilities. Thus empowered, Clerics excel in most forms of healing, including: Self, Target, Group and Raid-oriented abilities."

Taken from the class reveal That to me doesn't say master of all or best bar none, that says they are  best at some of them, but that leaves other avenues for the Shaman and Druid to be best at other types of healing. The conclusion i Drew from that description (which might be me reading what i want to read) is that Clerics wil best at the type of healing clerics are normally known for in most games (single target heals), where as that leaves about 3 or 4 diffferent types of healing to be mastered by one of the other 2.

Although I might be lawyering that verbage ... abit... after rereading I can very easily see your interepretation, and now share your fears lol

I think if we have EQ1 healer type of balancing again that will be terrible. I do however have confidence after seeing how Vanguard played out, that it won't be like EQ1 (Because optimism!)

• 1434 posts
    July 19, 2016 9:35 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

Thats not what i read

"The Clerics have mastered the restorative arts of their Order, allowing them to use their many potent healing abilities. Thus empowered, Clerics excel in most forms of healing, including: Self, Target, Group and Raid-oriented abilities."

Taken from the class reveal That to me doesn't say master of all or best bar none, that says they are  best at some of them, but that leaves other avenues for the Shaman and Druid to be best at other types of healing. The conclusion i Drew from that description (which might be me reading what i want to read) is that Clerics wil best at the type of healing clerics are normally known for in most games (single target heals), where as that leaves about 3 or 4 diffferent types of healing to be mastered by one of the other 2.

Although I might be lawyering that verbage ... abit... after rereading I can very easily see your interepretation, and now share your fears lol

I think if we have EQ1 healer type of balancing again that will be terrible. I do however have confidence after seeing how Vanguard played out, that it won't be like EQ1 (Because optimism!)

Hope your right. It does say quite clearly though that "the Cleric is focused on healing himself and his allies, and in this role he has no equal."

I really don't want come off as an alarmist or stir up doubt, but this is something that I don't think has been addressed and is important if Pantheon is to avoid the problem with forming groups that we had in EQ. We simply cannot have another game where one class among a dozen is essential to group composition.

This was a discussion about clerics and the potential problem on mmorpg.com.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/445761/introducing-the-cleric/p1

This post was edited by Dullahan at July 19, 2016 9:39 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    July 19, 2016 10:11 PM PDT

Completely agree with Dullahan on that last point. And same could be said for Enchanter. I feel like this might not be an issue due to them letting hybrid role classes also offer CC and other things like buffs and debuffs. But at this point Its not looking good for either Main CC classes (I count one), Main Healers or Main Non-healer support classes. And I have mixed feelings about that. Its always good to have multiple choices for filling out party roles. But it kind of sucks if in the process you have to over hybridize roles in a few classes to make up for the lack of specialized classes. It seems VR is maybe prioritizing tradition over specialized roles in class design, and I admit I dont have all the details so I could be wrong. But from the look of it we are getting 3 main healers and 2 of them (Shaman and Druid) will likely be able to do too many other things. Probably because there isnt much choice for adding in more CC and buffs and debuffs. Which will make them either too OP or spread too thin. And I realize that people have special connections with certain classes they enjoyed and want them to be the same as what they remember, and as much as I respect that, I think its a bad decision. Design classes to primary roles, even if that means breaking with tradition is my suggestion, And at the very least, dont over hybridize.

• 62 posts
    July 19, 2016 10:16 PM PDT

Please add another vote for Disciple. Another one for Necro. I loved Rift's Chloromancer. LotRO's Runekeeper and Warden were good, too. A Psionicist sounds cool (perhaps like a Jedi Sage/Sith Inquisitor from TOR?). I also have a soft spot for classes that siphon health, such as the ESO Nightblade.

While the Disciple is probably tops on my wish list, I think a class that creates various types of golems would be amazing. I suppose it could be a tinker class that creates automatons, but as long as it is woven smartly into the lore, I'm happy. I know, you are thinking of an EQ Magician. I'm not. I'm thinking of a dwarven or gnomish rune that gives form to raw materials for the purpose of creating task-specific minions.

Minions do make for a lot of screen clutter, however, so maybe newly learned abilities can be rotated on a golem. Like Earth golems can have three abilities and are the simplest type of golem. The first thing it learns is how to carry stuff, then hit stuff, then throw rocks. It could also learn how to form itself into a shield, blow dirt into the eyes of foes and perhaps become something more later on, like a ceramic golem that can tank or act as a door and a mud golem that can make goopy patches to snare mobs and silence casters with mud pies. 8D The imagination runs wild without knowing what limitations are in place, but the sky is the limit.

The actual summoner would "wear" some golems and would change their abilities according to which kind was summoned, rather like changing weapons in GW2. Volatile ones, such as air, fire, lava and flesh golems might require the summoner to tiptoe nervously just outside casting range for their creation.

• 839 posts
    July 19, 2016 11:53 PM PDT

Amsai said:

Completely agree with Dullahan on that last point. And same could be said for Enchanter. I feel like this might not be an issue due to them letting hybrid role classes also offer CC and other things like buffs and debuffs. But at this point Its not looking good for either Main CC classes (I count one), Main Healers or Main Non-healer support classes. And I have mixed feelings about that. Its always good to have multiple choices for filling out party roles. But it kind of sucks if in the process you have to over hybridize roles in a few classes to make up for the lack of specialized classes. It seems VR is maybe prioritizing tradition over specialized roles in class design, and I admit I dont have all the details so I could be wrong. But from the look of it we are getting 3 main healers and 2 of them (Shaman and Druid) will likely be able to do too many other things. Probably because there isnt much choice for adding in more CC and buffs and debuffs. Which will make them either too OP or spread too thin. And I realize that people have special connections with certain classes they enjoyed and want them to be the same as what they remember, and as much as I respect that, I think its a bad decision. Design classes to primary roles, even if that means breaking with tradition is my suggestion, And at the very least, dont over hybridize.

I posted something earlier which might fit the bill for this sort of moderate DPS/CC, would be a mele/bow class with CC that uses stealth, throwing objects to distract, traps to root / snare and some sort of throwing powder type of thing that can disorient / blind mobs.  Would not be long term CC like enchanter but more short term CC that can be used to break up groups or buy the group some time to reform when things are getting out of hand.  Using a distraction type skill for splitting up mobs to pull interests me a lot, throwing an object like a rock or something to get their attention elsewhere while pulling other mobs into traps etc. 

• 1778 posts
    July 20, 2016 10:15 AM PDT
    @Hokanu

I wouldnt have a problem with a new class like that. The problem is we already have 12 classes and cant be sure of any more (Bard and Necro) before the launch. So why cant we repurpose some classes to be needed specialized roles before its too late? But yes idealy we get more after launch too.