Forums » The Summoner

Summoner Wishlists

• 13 posts
    February 13, 2016 3:52 PM PST

I decided to throw together a Summoner wishlist of sorts and wanted to share with the hope that others would chime in with their own lists.

I would like to a see a Summoner class that has utility and DPS.

For utility – The ability to summon food, water, a shield of damaging thorns for allies, special ability items like summoning shoes that make you run fast, cloaks that make you invisible, fireproof cloaks, pants that help you carry more weight by adding strength to your legs, flaming arrows, lockpicks, summon water buckets that appear and then fall over the heads of your enemies, temporarily blinding them, walls of air that protect your group from ranged attacks, summon a wall of spikes against charging enemies and summon fog to help cloak your whole group in an ethereal cloud of mist.

For DPS – I’d love to be able to summon clouds of acid, lightning and fire. To tap into the primal building blocks of Terminus to summon forth monsters of ice, wood, rock, iron, diamond and dark matter. Maybe give them a 1 in 100 chance of being incredibly powerful, beyond normal, but to give weight to the summoning also include a 1 in 100 chance that it will try to wipe out your entire party once it is summoned. That slight chance of chaos I think would add a nice element of surprise from time to time.

How about being able to summon a door that teleports you to a hallway full of doors, each of which takes you to a different tavern in the various cities of Terminus? 

• 1202 posts
    February 20, 2016 12:17 PM PST

Naladar said:

How about being able to summon a door that teleports you to a hallway full of doors, each of which takes you to a different tavern in the various cities of Terminus? 

Recently watch the Matrix? haha

• 13 posts
    March 9, 2016 12:00 PM PST

Yea, I forget there is a scene like that in the Matrix.  The first time I ever read anything like that it was in a book written by Raymond E. Feist.... WAAAAAAAAAAY before it was in any movie!!!  Hahahha

• 108 posts
    March 11, 2016 8:10 PM PST

I want the Summoner to be a SUMMONER.  I don't want to call in a earth/fire/wind/water/heart elemental, I want to call in packs of hellhounds, murders of deepcrows, Ifreets, sea monsters, and things too terrible to look upon with mortal eyes to assail my foes and amaze my friends.  I don't want one strong pet following me around, I want to walk into combat, assess my environment and summon hordes of smaller creatures (or one or two strong ones) to my side for a limited time.  Look at the Vanilla WoW Infernal and Doomguard pets for Warlock, minus the needing to take control of them part, I want to do that: walk into a fight and start summoning.  I want to be a Summoner, not a Ranger/Druid with a flaming companion.

That said, I would ask that there be more to the class than Wizard with pets.  I played a Mage in EQ because I wanted to have cool tools that I could summon up and sell/give to people.  What I got were some cool pets (always been a fan of pet classes) and bread and water.  Oh, yeah, there were bags and swords and even the odd shield or two if memory serves but there was no call for anyone to use any of it.  Bags were balanced because of No Rent and the weapons were very rarely better than what people would be carring anyway.  The only usefull items people wanted were lightstones and manarods, which is a shame.

• 41 posts
    March 12, 2016 3:30 PM PST

I too would definitely like to see either/or with our range of summonable items growing or their having a bit more usability and purpose than we saw in EQ. I summoned the occasional food and water, otherwise it was mod rods all day long. It wasn't even really worth summoning my pet any weapons of my own since trash mobs' loot often had better vendor-trash weapons I could give them. As an old EQ mage, I want my pet to be my strongest asset, but I would also like to see some functionality outside of one pet of one type.

I liked the whole elemental thing, but would also like to see some more versatility and diversity in pet choices, especially with the game pointing towards the environment playing a large role in what spells and skills you use and what gear set you wear. In EQ, we had spells like Monster Summoning and had some AAs which gave some change to possible pet models and also had nice versatility or allowed for a mass of mini-pets, and I'd like to see something along the same lines or the ability to port in some of the same skills and special abilities to our everyday use pets, keeping balance in mind of course. 

My biggest wish is to keep the pet(s) the main reason we play the class, to distinguish ourselves from being weak Wizards like how mages suffered in EQ for far too long. I love everything about being a pet class and building my pets to their strongest capabilities or finding the right pet for the right job. I'd also like to see the summoning capabilities expand to more viable items and weapons, I'd love to have a CoTH-like spell again, and I'd also really like us to be able to implement the summoning aspect into some type of spell or skill that can benefit the group in some way. Be it a spell that summons a defensive shield or offensive buff for the group or tank (just throwing a random thought out there), or a spell that summons a debuff effect onto a mob, just to add some versatility to our name while staying in line with the summoning aspect of the class.

• 298 posts
    March 17, 2016 9:34 PM PDT

Hi, I did not find Summoners right away but eventually found they are my go to class. So, here I am!

To start I wish that if/when they make a Necromancer they will make it a separate class (not an altrenate path of Summoner). And I wish they will make the Necromancer far different in style to the Summoner. Many times they end up like basically the same "pet class".

Next I wish for powerful Summoners to be able to summon really cool crazy creatures. Weather they end up being pets or temporary summons, I hope to see a wow factor. In EQOA by mid level Magicians had giant elemental pets, and by max level they could get pets that were like one step down from avatars. Djinn Vizier was so cool.

I actually wish for summoning more than the standard elementals of a Mage. How about summoning weird stuff too like satyrs and pixies and bigger stuff like behemoths and evil eyes and even bigger stuff FF style like dragons!

I maybee wish to go to different lands to summon one creature who would work better in another land (if it's not too much trouble).

I wish to summon useful things for the enviornment to help groups like they would say "damn, if only we had a Summoner this would be easy".

I wish to summon fun useless stuff to my position like a random object, a chair, cat, pig, shrub, orc, whatever.

How about summon unicorn for a free mount!

I like to live on the edge and hope that Summoners will be high on the hate list.

hmm that's all i can think of for now

• 1885 posts
    March 19, 2016 8:13 AM PDT

Pantz said:

I actually wish for summoning more than the standard elementals of a Mage. How about summoning weird stuff too like satyrs and pixies and bigger stuff like behemoths and evil eyes and even bigger stuff FF style like dragons!

I agree with this, I liked the Monster summoning spell line in EQ, it would summon a level appropriate creature in the immediate environment you were in to be your pet. If you were clever enough, you could get a small Wurm near the dwarf city in Velious (but the smaller size made them adorable). Or even a fierce bunny ( loL!) 

• 194 posts
    March 19, 2016 9:13 AM PDT

We can't forget the most imortant all time spell for the summoner is Call of Hero!!!

• 136 posts
    September 21, 2016 12:21 PM PDT

I  am a summoner...so let me summon a mount!

And I am praying we get a Phoenix fire pet skin like my shammy had in VG...I always thought that was a perfect look for a fire pet.

And finally...I love the thoughts already listed by others, but I wanted to say that I would LOVE to have an earth pet that didn't look like a humanoid/golem/animated pile of boulders. I don't know what...but just something different for once. In EQ2 I was thrilled to have my 6 legged lizard thing for an earth pet...it was a nice change! I was heart broken when I lost that skin when I upgraded the spell :(

This post was edited by Frogz0r at September 21, 2016 12:21 PM PDT
    • 94 posts
    October 8, 2016 11:56 AM PDT

I will be happy with being able to have the usuall bag of tricks at my disposial food,water,weapons for pets, etc. As for the pets long as there is a tank pet and a DPS or two I will be happy.

• 72 posts
    October 9, 2016 10:00 AM PDT

Yeah, I think you all hit the nail on the head already, but I'll chime in. I have faith that VR will do an awesome job with the pets, so I'm less worried about them as I am the other aspects of the class. Gear needs to be desirable, and not just in the vanilla (no expansions) phase. Summoners should be a very enticing balance of DPS and utility and that utility shouldn't fade as we gain levels and enter raid content. As long as VR scales these two aspects of the class appropriately by giving us more than just pet gear and food to summon, I'll be a happy camper.

• 57 posts
    October 15, 2016 12:21 AM PDT

One thing I kinda would like are spells that do Physical damage. For example (like what they told during the stream), it's better to fight skeletons with blunt weapons. Since magicians had "Rain of Blades" types of spells in eq1 that were just magic based flashes, perhaps those spells would actually shoot balls of metal or blades...in a lore perspective it would make sense to have power over fire as well if we can pretty much spit metal (always wanted a spell that actually rains fiery blades).

All in all summoners should be a master of dealing with items. Summoners should summon items that have situational use, carry items better (they should be able to carry more enchanted equipment/equipment for pets and potions around). It is my hope that a simple iron claymore can be useful even at a high level so that when the need for a group member to change weapons arises, we would have one with us. Perhaps instead of just having 100% weight reduction bags with a few slots, there could be bags that have more slots and carry more small items than average bags in order to carry potions or items for tradeskilling. Hopefully Pantheon has an NPC economy that needs hefty amounts of cold hard cash to allow others to accomplish harder content, and a summoner would make it easier for groups to run around with more items to sell or use. If potions allow players to do things that spells cannot then it would make sense to try to carry some. Perhaps we would become living vending machines, but at least it's not just for 1000 mod rods. Oh and summoned No-Trade bags.

Playing Skyrim without a follower and on a harder setting (with Conjuration and Alteration) made me realize that buying items and having a ton of situational enchanted equipment, potions, etc. was the best way to win beyond those odds. Having special and expensive items such as these gives more of an incentive to buy and sell, as well as to have as much carrying capabilities as possible.

Another thing I remember well from EQ1 after classic was the ability to summon simple armor. Corpse run? Summon armor and weapons! No bat wings or fish gills? No problem! Healer out of mana? Bandage party! Want a party!? Summon PARTY! The only problem was getting regents for our pets, which honestly shouldn't be summoned. It was pretty funny that things that would just be spell buffs for other casters were items that give buffs whenever someone wanted to use them. Want to breathe underwater? Summon a rock!

In short, I want this class to feel "physical". My pet is physical and accepts physical items that improve its performance, my damage can be physical, some of my buffs are physically traded, I carry physical items well, I summon physical items, and my control of the battlefield is physical.

This post was edited by Radeon at October 15, 2016 12:23 AM PDT
    • 4 posts
    October 16, 2016 5:49 AM PDT

When I think Summoner, I mostly think about what a summoner can bring to the playing field. For the most part I like the idea of being able to bring in pets of all sorts and that have many applications. Creatures that fight/defend/have unique and helpful abilties are of course the staple of any MMO, but creatures for utility, entertainement, and fan-service (Hold your horses, I meen the kind of fan service that reference things that might otherwise not be within the MMO) are always a good idea in my book. Things like ridable creatures that you summon for your party, carry items for you, cute/adorable critters that you show to your friends and dance/sing/do other tricks for you, and things like slip-of-the tongue (and legally separate from) named creatures that have the nostalgia factor going for them (though they still look like they are a part of the universe).

I would also like the choice of either generalized (Attack, defend, come, follow, go here), nit-picky (attack that until your health is of a certain amount, cast this if your charge is low health, etc), and tricksy (Sit, rollover, fetch, playdead, etc) commands that you can give them. Of course some of these commands would only be applicable to certain creature models (especially the cute little guys you parade around for the fun of it) that suit their purpose.

Also... they are summoners... I don't expect them to be spell slinging buggers with the label of "Summoner." The short character description we have to go on at the moment seems okay. They are people/beings that are able to bring things into existence that otherwise wouldn't be there. The summoning of "sustenance, tools, barricades, and weaponry" seems like it could make for interesting capabilties, but also makes me think they can be more specialized and have labels like "Interdimensional Weaponsmith" or something more comical (in my mind) like "The Ritual Baker." Although I think this is fine and dandy, for me pets/elementals/what have you makes the class for me and to have that as an afterthought would be a travisty in my mind (If it is extremely custimizable in how one's character is leveled, then I would expect a good 50/50 split for choices and not be forced for one over the other if experience allows).

• 4 posts
    October 24, 2016 2:41 AM PDT

NecroDrake said:

When I think Summoner, I mostly think about what a summoner can bring to the playing field. For the most part I like the idea of being able to bring in pets of all sorts and that have many applications. Creatures that fight/defend/have unique and helpful abilties are of course the staple of any MMO, but creatures for utility, entertainement, and fan-service (Hold your horses, I meen the kind of fan service that reference things that might otherwise not be within the MMO) are always a good idea in my book. Things like ridable creatures that you summon for your party, carry items for you, cute/adorable critters that you show to your friends and dance/sing/do other tricks for you, and things like slip-of-the tongue (and legally separate from) named creatures that have the nostalgia factor going for them (though they still look like they are a part of the universe).

I would also like the choice of either generalized (Attack, defend, come, follow, go here), nit-picky (attack that until your health is of a certain amount, cast this if your charge is low health, etc), and tricksy (Sit, rollover, fetch, playdead, etc) commands that you can give them. Of course some of these commands would only be applicable to certain creature models (especially the cute little guys you parade around for the fun of it) that suit their purpose.

Also... they are summoners... I don't expect them to be spell slinging buggers with the label of "Summoner." The short character description we have to go on at the moment seems okay. They are people/beings that are able to bring things into existence that otherwise wouldn't be there. The summoning of "sustenance, tools, barricades, and weaponry" seems like it could make for interesting capabilties, but also makes me think they can be more specialized and have labels like "Interdimensional Weaponsmith" or something more comical (in my mind) like "The Ritual Baker." Although I think this is fine and dandy, for me pets/elementals/what have you makes the class for me and to have that as an afterthought would be a travisty in my mind (If it is extremely custimizable in how one's character is leveled, then I would expect a good 50/50 split for choices and not be forced for one over the other if experience allows).

Also... maybe have more than one summon at a time be viable, but have balancing features that make it not broken. For example: Multiple weaker/small creatures at later levels, a one off limited time ult. that allows for more than one creature, creatures that are specifically summoned in groups and for good reason, creature points that are used up for each creature and gain more per level, etc. Now... I'm not saying make the class like the late City of Heros/Villians Mastermind or anything (or really ridiculous like the older GW necromancer), but I hate to be called a summoner and be limited by numbers. A great example of not being broken when it comes to this is the later levels of necromancers in everquest II and GW 2.

• 41 posts
    November 1, 2016 7:28 PM PDT

Too long since I've posted, but I agree that our core should be in our pets/summonings. To few MMOs today provide for a viable pet class, and even with Pantheon people are adamant about getting something similar to an EQ Beastlord. If that comes into play, then we absolutely need to be the Beastlords of the spell casting side. I'm more than happy to sacrifice my spell capabilities for a strong and versatile pet, which is the main reason I played a mage in EQ and what I hope the Summoner to be in EQ. Pets are my biggest concern when it comes to this game and I'm hoping we have many options to deal with the mentioned environmental effects and the color of mana playing a role in certain areas. Hopefully we get more definitives on our class as more class release notes come out.