Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Battle damage graphics?

• 85 posts
    February 11, 2016 9:31 PM PST

Scenario. I am playing my low lvl 13 Tank. Just got me a full set of quested gear (brand new off the quest giver). Looks cool with its mirror finish shine. I get a group, we mop every mob in the dungeon like they are nothing. Me being "in the zone" did not notice the damage my gear was taking. We took a quick bio break and I wanted to check out my new armor in more detail (zoom in spin around toon etc etc).  Once I started looking my gear is all dirty, dings left and right , the once mirror shine is now covered in blood. So we move on and got a named and I got lucky it droped "Filzin's Sword of The Brown Turtle". So we move on for another hour then we called it quits. I Looked again at my armor and new weapon. My armor is falling apart. Missing some "cruical" parts. The armor looks like a crushed up foil wrap. The sword has got dings on its blade. Blood/Dirt all over it. I guess its time to repair my gear.

So pretty much battle damage shown on gear. The more you ignore your repair bill the more "worn down" your gear looks until it breaks and you loose the graphics of the gear. I am just throwing this out. Would you like this idea/concept? And would like to hear your input also. 

I cant think of a nice title sorry..

Az

• 563 posts
    February 11, 2016 9:44 PM PST

I LOVE this idea, maybe not have it dissapear when broken, but perhaps it starts to give negative effects when its destroyed causing the player to want to remove it until repaired. (I wouldn't want to be in a jagged, sharp broken breastplate, or tattered cloth/leather which may hinder movement due to dangling bits.)

I think having some visualization of the deteriorating durability of the gear is very immersive and a great idea!

Rachael

• 211 posts
    February 11, 2016 9:52 PM PST

Not a bad idea.

• 9115 posts
    February 12, 2016 1:30 AM PST

This is really cool Az and something I really enjoy, it also plays into the whole repair your gear by a crafter or npc which encourages a healthy economy and regular player interaction. I don't think gear should break completely but I think needing to be repaired like in VG would suit this type of idea, don't you think?

I also really don't want to see that sword! Keep it away from me lol ;)

• 1434 posts
    February 12, 2016 5:06 AM PST

Wouldn't want it to be too extreme, but if there is item and weapon damage, I'd love to see it visually.

• 130 posts
    February 12, 2016 5:36 AM PST

Don't like the damage you have to repair.  If it meant having to deal with it then I suppose I would or find something else to do.

I do love the idea of looking like you've just been through hell and back after sustained fighting.  The grime, bruises and blood can gradually fade after a while.

• 106 posts
    February 12, 2016 9:16 AM PST
    I can't remember what mmo I was playing but you had to repair your gear and the better it was the more it cost. I hated it. Your gear could break while using it and then it was useless until repaired. I think it was aion. I never had much money and that made it worse.
    • 1778 posts
    February 12, 2016 9:19 AM PST
    Id support this. Hell I think it would look cool to look dirty and bloody.
    • 66 posts
    February 12, 2016 2:45 PM PST

i love this idea, altho i think if they did this, it would be something that would go away over time, instead of being repaired. Taken from the death penalty thread....

Aradune said:

Quick comment:  whatever the specific death penalty turns out to be, I can say now that we're not going with an item system where your items wear down and need to be repaired.  

but i would really love to see battle damage on gear. maybe not to the extent that you are missing pieces visually, but more towards noticably dirty and bloody with minor dents here and there.

• 1714 posts
    February 12, 2016 3:18 PM PST

Battle damage is one thing, and seems like a graphical luxury, but I don't like the idea of having to repair equipment. As a puller, I don't want to die 10x more than anyone else in the group and have my stuff break and be required to trek back to town while everybody else keeps adventuring. 

Also, my first thought to this post was I sure as hell hope you won't be able to get a full set of quest gear from a quest giver at level 13. Yuck. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at February 12, 2016 3:19 PM PST
    • 211 posts
    February 12, 2016 3:23 PM PST

Furty said:

i love this idea, altho i think if they did this, it would be something that would go away over time, instead of being repaired. Taken from the death penalty thread....

Aradune said:

Quick comment:  whatever the specific death penalty turns out to be, I can say now that we're not going with an item system where your items wear down and need to be repaired.  

but i would really love to see battle damage on gear. maybe not to the extent that you are missing pieces visually, but more towards noticably dirty and bloody with minor dents here and there.

Thanks for posting that quote, I had not seen it.. I'm glad there won't be the need to repair gear. I expect it will be harder to make currency in this game than say, WoW where I'll spend tons of gold constantly repairing gear (but it's easy to make gold). The fade over time for gear damage/blood would be pretty cool. Who does it...I think Dragon Age does that with blood spatter.

• 85 posts
    February 12, 2016 4:04 PM PST
    Repairs to me adds immersion to the game. Like how VG handled repair of gear/weapons. Follow that system. And Kilsin no you have to use that sword LOL. If the gods needs to glue the sword to your hands so be it..
    • 1434 posts
    February 12, 2016 4:15 PM PST

Krixus said:

Battle damage is one thing, and seems like a graphical luxury, but I don't like the idea of having to repair equipment. As a puller, I don't want to die 10x more than anyone else in the group and have my stuff break and be required to trek back to town while everybody else keeps adventuring. 

Also, my first thought to this post was I sure as hell hope you won't be able to get a full set of quest gear from a quest giver at level 13. Yuck. 

I guess this is sort of a moot point since Aradune confirmed a no-repair system, but players could totally be given the ability to repair gear in the world. I've always envisioned players being able to make a tidy sum by lugging an anvil or sewing kit to a dungeon and setting up shop to repair the items of adventurers.

• 1714 posts
    February 12, 2016 4:45 PM PST

Dullahan said:

Krixus said:

I guess this is sort of a moot point since Aradune confirmed a no-repair system, but players could totally be given the ability to repair gear in the world. I've always envisioned players being able to make a tidy sum by lugging an anvil or sewing kit to a dungeon and setting up shop to repair the items of adventurers.

Yeah, that sounds cool. Or that lower level character that hangs out in the zone selling muffins and milk and exchanging coppers for plats and repairing items. I like that dynamic. I still don't like the idea of durabilty on items in an EQ like game where gear is, if not permanent, more likely to spend days or weeks or even longer with you. 

• 51 posts
    February 12, 2016 5:17 PM PST

What a cool idea.. I think as long as it doesn't become a burden , IE after every battle you need to repair, then I see the visual, economical (stable economy), and role play benefits. Also, I'd imagine at level 50-60 certain armors would be so "divine" as being unbreakable.

• 1434 posts
    February 12, 2016 5:28 PM PST

Krixus said:

Dullahan said:

Krixus said:

Yeah, that sounds cool. Or that lower level character that hangs out in the zone selling muffins and milk and exchanging coppers for plats and repairing items. I like that dynamic. I still don't like the idea of durabilty on items in an EQ like game where gear is, if not permanent, more likely to spend days or weeks or even longer with you. 

Well just because you have to repair or sharpen you weapons, doesn't mean the item should ever break completely.

I'm actually a little surprised with the decision to remove the need to repair equipment. Its one of the best (and most reaslitic) money sinks to maintain a healthy economy.

• 1714 posts
    February 12, 2016 10:40 PM PST

Dullahan said:

Krixus said:

Dullahan said:

Krixus said:

Well just because you have to repair or sharpen you weapons, doesn't mean the item should ever break completely.

I'm actually a little surprised with the decision to remove the need to repair equipment. Its one of the best (and most reaslitic) money sinks to maintain a healthy economy.

There are plenty of ways to curb mudflation. 

• 157 posts
    February 16, 2016 12:13 PM PST

Dunno ... can you imagine all the graphics that would need to be programmed for every piece of gear?  Unless itemization and equipment images are all pretty similar.  I can't imagine the millions of different textures that would be required for this.  You might need to ask yourself if you want every piece of armor to look different, or do you want 5-10 sets of armor to morph over time?