Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Social Organizations

• 1778 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:05 AM PST
    Ok so could someone school me on what EQ had. Like was there anything more than a freinds list but less than a Guild?. In some games these could be social guilds or clubs or even just privately owned chat channels.

The reason why is because I like having multiple social groups that arent specifically my guild. Because Id hate to start in a social guild and abandon them for a new guild because I wanted to do endgame later on.

Thanks
    • 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:11 AM PST

Well to be honest a lot of guilds wouldnt allow a non guilded member to raid with them so at some point you might have to leave if thats what you wanted.  Besides that I dont think they had anything I could remember it was more of a hey those people are on my friends list and I remember them from so and so.  A lot of it just boiled down to remembering people and what y6ou did with them

This post was edited by Kalgore at February 11, 2016 10:14 AM PST
    • 130 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:13 AM PST

You could do private chat channels, aside from that, you were either guilded or you weren't.  And yes, there was a friends list.

• 308 posts
    February 11, 2016 10:19 AM PST

This is something i found interesting when i was play guild wars 2, you could join up to 5 guilds - they were based on account, not character.  You selected which one you wanted to display, guess that would be your "main" guild.  It allowed to keep a couple of social guilds while still being in my active guild. 

• 1714 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:10 AM PST

EQ was the social organization. 

• 194 posts
    February 11, 2016 11:15 AM PST
    In addition to guilds Everquest introduced fellowships which were limited to 12 people. They haven't given a lot of information on caravans yet in Pantheon, but it sounds like they may be a similar mechanic.
    • 1778 posts
    February 11, 2016 12:07 PM PST
    I didnt even think about that. Good call on Caravans.

Well as some of you know Im an old XI vet. XI didnt really have guilds per se. We had Linkshells. And you could join pretty much as many as you wanted. So starting off and for about the first half of my XI journey I was in a handfull of social LSs. Later I joined an Endgame LS. But as a community rule you usually only joined 1 Endgame LS. It worked out with a sort of Guild loyalty and community policing. Endgame LS betrayal wasnt received well to say the least.

At any rate this is what prompted this topic. And I understand some Guilds not wanting to just bring on people they didnt know. And some LSs were the same as well. Some LSs were advertised as both social and endgame. So unless you got in as a lowbie you typically wouldnt be able to join at max level. And even for ones that let new people join there was an application process., interviews, recommendations, probationary periods etc.

Anyways I always liked being able to have social organizations that were more free than a Guild. Especially when you just start off.
    • 106 posts
    February 11, 2016 12:22 PM PST

I must say I like the segregation that everest had with guilds, but that's cause I always made my friends join my guild hehe.

I just find that if not used right it could be used as a server wide communication, like a porters chat or something like that.

Which I'm unsure if I care about or not yet lol.

I guess we will need to see if what server wide chat will be limited to (tells, guilds, groups, public or all of the above)

Sounds interesting though, I'm going to go look at these "caravans"

• 428 posts
    February 11, 2016 12:24 PM PST

Im really hoping for server wide chat it was always fun to engage some of those conversations 

• 39 posts
    February 11, 2016 9:25 PM PST

I really liked the LS system in XI it was very social system indeed.

• 79 posts
    February 12, 2016 7:03 AM PST

I used to utilize private chat channels in both EQ and World of Warcraft to dick around with some RL friends who I may not have been in the same guild with. I remember some communities in EQ that used to maintain private chat channels as well that were not guild-based. For example, we used to have a community that raided the old world dragons each week on Tunare and there was a private channel maintained to set the raids up each week and just socialize in between.

• 1778 posts
    February 12, 2016 9:46 AM PST
    I did basically the sane thing in XI. In a few Non Endgame LSs I would team up with friends not in my Endgane LS. We would do non endgame content together. Or just help eachother out here and there.

Like I said something less than a Guild but more than just FL. Of course I definitely think a Guild is important and should be. But if you are with a Guild that only is ever on for the Endgame activities then you want to have folks you can go do activities with.And having a smaller organizaton or privately owned chat channels can work really well. Of course I realize that many Guilds are Fully involved in all aspects of the game and in their case it would never be an issue.

Anyways just something I think would be a great addition to Pantheon.