Forums » The Monk

Weapons

• 122 posts
    February 10, 2016 6:18 AM PST

I'm wondering if there are any plans to have a variety of primary/secondary weapons for the monk? Something more "unique" in terms of how hand 2 hand would incorporate the use of? Like "fist" weapons of sorts. Glove and footwear having the ability to tie i with primary/secondary?

Just some thoughts.

• 108 posts
    April 9, 2016 9:31 PM PDT

Since they are basing heavily off of EQ and Vanguard I don't see why there won't be the options of fistwraps, knuckles, 1Hand Blunt, or staff weapons for monks.  Would be kinda cool to see different colors/textures of fistwraps over the hands with the modern tech.

• 289 posts
    April 21, 2016 9:31 PM PDT

just a quick brainstorming session here.. Fistwraps, knuckles, claws, One hand Blunt, Staves/Two hand blunt, sickle/scythe, Chains, Long spear, Dartguns, Bows& Arrows, throwing weapons, and short/broad swords.  That is about the extent of the weapons that a Monk would use.

• 123 posts
    April 30, 2016 8:23 AM PDT

I was going to specify a certain sword-type, but I think the weight of the sword would determine if it is a monk viable weapon or not, you just need a steep enough penalty for exceeding your weight allowance.  I do hope there are different abilities for each weapon, it would be cool if your skill in a weapon-type unlocked different abilities as it got higher.

Does a bow and arrows weapon seem appropriate for a monk though?  I like the dartgun idea for an alternative to throwing pebbles for pulling =/  Having a stun/blind/slowing poison on the dartgun would give options for monk splitting mobs too.

• 19 posts
    May 8, 2016 8:05 AM PDT

Nunchaku, fighting batons, 3 section staves, hand held fans, the bisento, the bola, there are tons of potential monk weapons out there.  Whether you take inspiration from Kung-Fu theater, historic documents, tabletop gaming, or early mmo's you have to be open to the idea of monks using a wide variety of weapons, many of which are improvised.  And certainly archery was among the skills of most monasterys.  I'm all for a variety of weapons, and I'm fine with limiting it to a reasonable amount and variety.... what I would love to see, is variety to fighting styles based upon the monks prime weapon choice to include a variety of advantages / disadvantages.  Don't get me wrong, I love handwraps and kicks first and foremost... but would love a chance to swap to a weapon stance that would aid me fighting a heavily armored opponent, or perhaps swapping to more AoE type attacks by wielding a bo stick or bisento.  Nunchaku that would allow me to disarm easier? yes please.

/bow

Rhoshan
      I want to be lethile, mobile, and agile!

• 238 posts
    June 22, 2016 5:05 PM PDT

I'd be happy with some fist claws or a spiked club

• 172 posts
    August 9, 2016 9:45 AM PDT

I just hope they have animations that fit for whatever weapon types are available.

Before the new models in EverQuest you had better weapon animations, fighting baton you would twirl not just bash like its a club.

• 19 posts
    August 9, 2016 10:40 AM PDT
    Completely agree... I want to feel it when I'm fighting, moving, spinning.... No lame, sterile animations will be accepted! A monk in battle should be a work of art, and those moves need to be fluid and appropriate for the weapon being wielded.
    • 87 posts
    October 2, 2016 9:59 PM PDT

I have yet to see a truly good monk animation set - even in games where kung fu master is a class. In EQ, they were dead with meh animations. In EQII, they were CT, HD wannabe animations that came off as terribly stiff. In most Asian games, the animations were paired with FX that were far too flashy. I'm hoping for something amazing, but it is really not there yet. Even having Bruce Lee in an MMA fighting game just ended up truly sad. 2D games have been pretty good about it and I would say that some 3D fighting games really nailed martial arts, but that's because your hits, grapples, throws and kicks all moved the opponent. That is a bit of a pain in an MMORPG that isn't action-oriented.

I do hope that they have knock-downs, knock-backs and grapples. For grapples, I'm thinking about something like Dragon's Dogma.

• 367 posts
    October 8, 2016 7:50 AM PDT

Duel Deer Horns (Duckhorns) are a good weapons for a monk.  The deer horns are used in Bagua, which is also a wonderful form of Qigong.  Bagua deer horn forms are beautiful to watch.  I recommend staying away from the other students when they are practicing with deer horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09gpq33YFVQ

This post was edited by Caine at October 8, 2016 9:21 AM PDT
    • 52 posts
    January 26, 2017 8:23 AM PST

It's unrealistic to expect dozens of weapon types with individual animations. At most, I'd expect a one handed style, a two handed style and an "unarmed" style - and having certain abilities require a specific type of weapon.

• 87 posts
    January 26, 2017 1:07 PM PST

sebbulba said:

It's unrealistic to expect dozens of weapon types with individual animations. At most, I'd expect a one handed style, a two handed style and an "unarmed" style - and having certain abilities require a specific type of weapon.

That didn't stop Guild Wars 2.

• 266 posts
    January 26, 2017 1:35 PM PST

sebbulba said:

It's unrealistic to expect dozens of weapon types with individual animations.

Depends on technology.  I see a lot of folks around here poo-pooing ideas based on assumptions, often uninformed, about how difficult they'd be to implement.  I don't see how that's productive.  I say: Throw the ideas out there.  Evaluate them based on how fun they'd be.  Let VR decide what their technical limitations are/aren't.

• 52 posts
    January 26, 2017 1:41 PM PST

Shai said:

sebbulba said:

It's unrealistic to expect dozens of weapon types with individual animations.

Depends on technology.  I see a lot of folks around here poo-pooing ideas based on assumptions, often uninformed, about how difficult they'd be to implement.  I don't see how that's productive.  I say: Throw the ideas out there.  Evaluate them based on how fun they'd be.  Let VR decide what their technical limitations are/aren't.

Hey, I'm just saying don't make this an A-priority; It affects one out of - what - 12 classes?

The monk needs effing awesome animations, hands down I'm with you, but he needs those with three or so weapon types or styles he's proficient in. At least to start with.

• 266 posts
    January 26, 2017 1:47 PM PST

sebbulba said:

The monk needs effing awesome animations...

Amen.

• 22 posts
    March 4, 2017 10:38 AM PST

I think it would be nice if Monks got some kind of bonus for fighting unarmed. My ideal monk wouldn't use any weapons (except for maybe fist weapons), so I hope VR at least gives us the option to fight unarmed and make it worth it. Maybe have a spec that focuses on unarmed combat? I just don't want to be forced to use a weapon is all. Also, I agree that the monk needs amazing animations to really stand out. If they "punch" and "kick" the same as any other class that is unarmed, I will cry :^)

This post was edited by drewber2814 at March 4, 2017 10:39 AM PST
    • 4516 posts
    March 6, 2017 8:03 AM PST

I am kind of a purist and would prefer only handwraps. I'm not a huge fan of fist weapons. But that's probably just because of how I was trained in Muay Thai. Your body IS the weapon.

However, as there are a multiple martial arts, perhaps the Pantheon Monk could also have multiple specializations available - at least two: Armed and Unarmed. Unarmed would only use handwraps. Your abilities would be combinations of fits, elbows, knees, and kicks. Armed would focus more on the use of bo staves, hanbo staves, nunchakus, etc.

• 2872 posts
    March 6, 2017 3:32 PM PST

I much prefer monk weapons only being the fists themselves, enhanced with various fistwraps. Maybe some 1hb or 2hb clubs/batons/staves.

I am not a fan of the modern monk "fist weapon" design present in most current games. I'm so sick of seeing every end game monk weapon be gaudy and/or ungainly. 

This stuff makes me sick:

WoW

FFXIV

Yuck. Just gross. 

• 4516 posts
    March 7, 2017 8:06 AM PST

Iksar said:

I much prefer monk weapons only being the fists themselves, enhanced with various fistwraps. Maybe some 1hb or 2hb clubs/batons/staves.

I am not a fan of the modern monk "fist weapon" design present in most current games. I'm so sick of seeing every end game monk weapon be gaudy and/or ungainly. 

This stuff makes me sick:

WoW

FFXIV

Yuck. Just gross. 

Agreed. I'm just done with fist weapons and that's a big part of it. They're just completely uninteresting to me. Not to mention I can't imagine actually trying to punch someone with one of those things IRL. I really want to fall in love with the Monk class, but I haven't yet found a game that actually captures what it means to be a monk. Maybe it's because too many people find that style boring and want everything to be flashy like Bruce Lee?

I think Monks should be the only class with actually very little gear appearance progression. Monks should prioritize practicality and have no concern for fashion or showing off their possessions. Minimalism is the key.

• 2872 posts
    March 7, 2017 9:45 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

I think Monks should be the only class with actually very little gear appearance progression. Monks should prioritize practicality and have no concern for fashion or showing off their possessions. Minimalism is the key.

I would be thrilled and probably main monk if they did that. Doesn't even have to be minimal gear appearance progression, but plenty of different wraps, robes, and "Gi". Just less flashy and in your face.

• 4516 posts
    March 7, 2017 10:09 AM PST

Iksar said:

Bazgrim said:

I would be thrilled and probably main monk if they did that. Doesn't even have to be minimal gear appearance progression, but plenty of different wraps, robes, and "Gi". Just less flashy and in your face.

Yes, I'm sure there could be enough differentiation by just using different colors and maybe a few different materials (cloth, silk, etc.) but it should all be very simple, with the exception of a few rare, meaningful symbols. Overall I think a true monk should/would not care what someone else thinks about their appearance. And they would absolutely not wear anything that could impede their flexibility or their mobility in a fight.

• 123 posts
    March 7, 2017 10:28 AM PST

Different fabrics and colors, I love the minimalist approach as well.  Maybe if anything a faint aura for truly high end items, or a trailing ribbon type-effect.  

Bulky and/or heavy items seem the complete opposite of what I'd expect from a monk - I like the idea that I have to respect some kind of weight limit for my monk in order for him to be able to function physically at his max ability.

Would it be possible to give a striking effect to attacks?  Seeing a warrior lumber through and land an average percent of their hits...  Then see a monk come along and you see a rapid succession of blows inflicted.

• 2872 posts
    March 7, 2017 11:50 AM PST

As for needing different weapon types, perhaps monks would just assume different stances to do different kinds of strikes. Mantis Stance making your attacks do piecing damage, Tiger Stance for slashing damage, etc.

Kind of in the same light that their fists become "magic" at some point when it comes to hitting "magic"/ethereal creatures. 

• 4516 posts
    March 7, 2017 12:05 PM PST

Iksar said:

As for needing different weapon types, perhaps monks would just assume different stances to do different kinds of strikes. Mantis Stance making your attacks do piecing damage, Tiger Stance for slashing damage, etc.

Kind of in the same light that their fists become "magic" at some point when it comes to hitting "magic"/ethereal creatures. 

I like this a lot. Ship it.

• 87 posts
    March 9, 2017 9:21 PM PST

I would like to fight with something resembling the Wing Chun style with nothing but fist wraps or I'm probably play a rogue. Sometimes, you gotta be a Dwarf and you apparently can't Monk and Dwarf at the same time. Drunken Boxing + Dwarf would have been magical.