Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Spells in Pantheon:

• 132 posts
    February 3, 2016 10:48 PM PST

I know spells will be a little different than other games. I read the Living Codex. 

What I want to request is spells to please please please NOT be like EQ2. 

On EQ2 ( I googled EQ2 spells for an example ) there is a spell called Peaceful Agression. 

under EFFECTS: 

improves the damage of spells and combat arts by 15% 

Increases casting speed of beneficial spells by 30%

Increases damage spell crit chance of caster by 15% 

Caster will Double Attack on 25% of melee attacks

Reduces the effectiveness of heals by 10% 

Umm. What? Trying to remember ALL of the crap for ONE spell is absolutely ridiculous ... seriously. EQ2 had The worse spells in any mmo in the history of mmo's. 

You had like 4 to 6 ( or more maybe ) different levels of the same spell... ugh.

adept,

better then adept,

better than the better adept,

better than those others,

Master,

Kung Fu master II senior,

Jedi master lev Hero 1,

Jedi master Lev Hero Pro adept 2,  etc etc etc etc etc.  Terrible. 

I remember getting 'Master' level spells from AA, but Master wasn't as good as the Jedi Master adept 16 spell.... I am making up levels and names because it was so horrible, I blocked EQ2 from my mind. It was a terrible game. IMO. I am sure many liked it. I tried so hard to like it. The spells made me hate it with a passion. 

I don't have any idea how this game will handle spells, but If the spells are as bad as EQ2 and there are 700 spells that all do 14 different things per spell and have 6 tiers of the Same exact spell,,,,, it's Terrible. 

I am ok with lev 1 Fireball and say you have the 3 empty boxes under Fireball and around lev 20 you find something that goes in one of those boxes ( see the living codex for image) 

then that spell gains More damage or adds a small damage over time aspect to the spell. I still know it's just a Fireball spell. I don't have 6 lines of positives and negatives to memorize. 

• 1434 posts
    February 4, 2016 12:03 AM PST

Lol, having played EQ2 again on the progression server, I found this very funny. I think the number of spell ranks may have been a bit over the top. They could have stopped at 2 (Apprentice > Master) ranks IMO, but they wanted to allow craftable variants of each one to make crafting more integral to the game. I believe they also made it so you could pay 2 win by buying the super grand master jedi version from the store.

As to the number of effects per spell, they were a bit over the top in that respect as well. I think keeping it simple goes a long way. In EQ1, most spells had just a couple effects early on and you had a limited number of spells that you could keep active at once. This lead to players needing to make choices, and that is key.

This post was edited by Dullahan at February 4, 2016 12:04 AM PST
    • 110 posts
    February 4, 2016 10:53 AM PST

I dont like spell ranks at all, feel it cheapens the experience for me. Really to this day I think EQ had spells right. As you leveled you would have to travel to the vendor and buy your next spell in the line. It was named something different and maybe had an added effect to it AND the particle effects for it got "better". Eventually you couldnt buy the best spells as you got higher leveled and had to get them as a drop or buy from a player that had gotten the drop. Questing for spells is a bonus too.

Please don't do generic spells. In this case, look to the past to build the future.

Garmr

• 428 posts
    February 9, 2016 3:37 PM PST

Medjai said:

I know spells will be a little different than other games. I read the Living Codex. 

On EQ2 ( I googled EQ2 spells for an example ) there is a spell called Peaceful Agression. 

under EFFECTS: 

Umm. What? Trying to remember ALL of the crap for ONE spell is absolutely ridiculous ... seriously. EQ2 had The worse spells in any mmo in the history of mmo's. 

You had like 4 to 6 ( or more maybe ) different levels of the same spell... ugh.

adept,

better then adept,

Master,

Jedi master lev Hero 1,

I remember getting 'Master' level spells from AA, but Master wasn't as good as the Jedi Master adept 16 spell.... I am making up levels and names because it was so horrible, I blocked EQ2 from my mind. It was a terrible game. IMO. I am sure many liked it. I tried so hard to like it. The spells made me hate it with a passion. 

I don't have any idea how this game will handle spells, but If the spells are as bad as EQ2 and there are 700 spells that all do 14 different things per spell and have 6 tiers of the Same exact spell,,,,, it's Terrible. 

I am ok with lev 1 Fireball and say you have the 3 empty boxes under Fireball and around lev 20 you find something that goes in one of those boxes ( see the living codex for image) 

then that spell gains More damage or adds a small damage over time aspect to the spell. I still know it's just a Fireball spell. I don't have 6 lines of positives and negatives to memorize. 

The spell system as easy in EQ2 just because one spell did a lot doesnt mean it was bad it just measn you need to get better at remembering.  The spell system was Apperentice Adept and master no one worried about anything but Adept 3 and master and it didnt take that much to get all master or adept 3 spells.  Adept three could be player crafted master was mob dropped.

• 511 posts
    February 9, 2016 3:56 PM PST

I actually kind of liked EQ2's mastery system. Allowed you to keep fewer spells, and use the same spells at 50 (60, 70, 80 etc) that you did at lvl 10.

That way I see this working in PRF is you get the majority of your skills for your class in the first 1/3 of leveling you get to know your class what you can and can't do and how your class feels. The second 1/3 you're working on improving those skills and maybe getting a few utility or special uses spells, and the last 1/3 you're working on capping out your spells/skills through named drops, advanced crafting, or other ways. 

Now I will agree that EQ2's system of Apprentice, Journeyman, Adept, Expert, Master, Grandmaster and Ancient, has a bit to many tiers, I would take out every other (Journey, Expert and Ancient (Grandmaster sounds better to me :P) that leaves us with 4 tiers of spells to be gained, first is your basic that everyone will get through level ups or whatever the basic granting function in PRF will be (Apprentice), one through solo or easy group play and common crafting goods (Adept), one through higher dungeons or uncommon crafting goods (Master), and one for  raids or rare crafting goods. (Grandmaster).

This post was edited by Dreconic at February 9, 2016 3:58 PM PST
    • 157 posts
    February 13, 2016 7:00 AM PST

The way MMOs tend to be going these days, I must be in the minority.  I'd love to see either fewer abilities, or the need to "mem" or select a limiter number of abilities.  One thing I'm growing to hate is two to four action bars crammed with abilities.  Sometimes less is more.  Perhaps fewer staple spells (the ones that stay active on your hotbar all the time) could lead to greater class or role differentiation, because, while grouping, only certain classes will "load" certain abilities.

• 137 posts
    February 13, 2016 7:20 AM PST
    I agree with smaller action bars. Makes grouping a bit more complicated, deciding what abilities to equip for certain situations.
    • 130 posts
    February 13, 2016 8:34 AM PST

I liked in EQ how each spell was a separate thing prior to the ranking sytem with Rank 1, 2, 3 etc ... and then there were the Ancient versions, prior to that ranking system.

It was relatively simple with the ancient spells being something to strive for.

This post was edited by Vade at February 13, 2016 8:35 AM PST
    • 170 posts
    February 13, 2016 9:52 AM PST

Yes, please make it more like EQ1 where as a Shaman doesn't ding and the spells start populating his bar but he either has purchased the scrolls and has them on him or he has to use older ones until he can go shopping. And no one stop shop! I was a troll and I had to find a hand deep in Innothule and a Barbarian in Everfrost to get spells. At lower level traveling from Grobb to Innothule to Ferrott to Rathe Moutains to Lake Rathe to South Karana to North Karana to Qeynos Hills to cut through Black Burrow to get to Everfrost all with out dying (because remember this was back when Death meant something) just to get a spell. That made you try different zone and travel and take away from the leveling just to get the new spells. I don't care if you have different grades or levels or teirs of them but don't just make them easy. I had to save up and go prepurchase them when I was close to a level so that I was preparred to memorize them and get back in the fight. One time I remember having them all on me for when I hit 39 and I was in a Throne Room group in Cazic and once I dinged in between pulls I had to mem them. Fun times. 

• 132 posts
    February 13, 2016 10:06 AM PST

Kalgore said:

Medjai said:

under EFFECTS: 

adept,

better then adept,

Master,

Jedi master lev Hero 1,

The spell system as easy in EQ2 just because one spell did a lot doesnt mean it was bad it just measn you need to get better at remembering.  The spell system was Apperentice Adept and master no one worried about anything but Adept 3 and master and it didnt take that much to get all master or adept 3 spells.  Adept three could be player crafted master was mob dropped.

That's actually a very rude thing to say. I don't just play One character. I usually have a cleric, druid, wizard, enchanter, etc, all the classes I like, and there was 500 spells for each class. 

To say someone needs to remember 2000 spells and each spell does 8 things doesn't mean I have a bad memory. 

That is a bad game design. Not a memory issue. 

Yes there was Adept I, II, III but there was also "Master" levels that I got from AA points. I might get Master 100 fists for my monk at lev 25. but the Adept III version that was lev 40 was better. 

That makes NO sense. I got the Master level from AA "tree" Master should be better than Adept III. 

MY OPINION is that spells that does 14 things like the one I listed above are stupid and make it where no one REALLY knows what their spells are doing. 

I can summarize all my spells and remember "that one debuffs melee and buffs casters" someting easy to remember. but that doesn't mean i Know everything the spell actually does and how the affects the next spell I might cast. 

I don't want to faceroll my keyboard. I want to know why I am hitting a button. I think EQ2 spell system is by far the worst ever, in any game I have ever played. 

• 2138 posts
    February 13, 2016 11:52 AM PST

Abacda said:

Yes, please make it more like EQ1 where as a Shaman doesn't ding and the spells start populating his bar but he either has purchased the scrolls and has them on him or he has to use older ones until he can go shopping. And no one stop shop! I was a troll and I had to find a hand deep in Innothule and a Barbarian in Everfrost to get spells. At lower level traveling from Grobb to Innothule to Ferrott to Rathe Moutains to Lake Rathe to South Karana to North Karana to Qeynos Hills to cut through Black Burrow to get to Everfrost all with out dying (because remember this was back when Death meant something) just to get a spell. That made you try different zone and travel and take away from the leveling just to get the new spells. I don't care if you have different grades or levels or teirs of them but don't just make them easy. I had to save up and go prepurchase them when I was close to a level so that I was preparred to memorize them and get back in the fight. One time I remember having them all on me for when I hit 39 and I was in a Throne Room group in Cazic and once I dinged in between pulls I had to mem them. Fun times. 

Yes, this.

• 1095 posts
    February 15, 2016 6:35 PM PST

I'm really curious about the colored mana.

• 2419 posts
    February 15, 2016 6:37 PM PST

Aich said:

I tried to start a discussion about it's possibilities over on the Current Pantheon Tenets & Features board to no avail.

• 1095 posts
    February 15, 2016 6:44 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Aich said:

I tried to start a discussion about it's possibilities over on the Current Pantheon Tenets & Features board to no avail.

I saw. Noone goes down there as its apart of pledge levels. 

• 9115 posts
    February 15, 2016 8:17 PM PST

Aich said:

Vandraad said:

Aich said:

It has got nothing to do with pledge levels, we haven't released a lot of information on the coloured mana yet, so there is not a lot to talk about, the Champion forums being quiet is because you guys don't use them, there is one way to change that... ;)

You folks may have noticed a pattern with our forums that if it doesn't get used for a while it gets removed, so if you enjoy something, it would be wise to make use of it, the Champion forums are specifically for more in-depth development discussions that a lot of you pay extra for, so you may as well use them instead of going for bigger discussion pools in the general area ;)

• 1095 posts
    February 15, 2016 8:39 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Aich said:

Vandraad said:

Aich said:

It has got nothing to do with pledge levels, we haven't released a lot of information on the coloured mana yet, so there is not a lot to talk about, the Champion forums being quiet is because you guys don't use them, there is one way to change that... ;)

You folks may have noticed a pattern with our forums that if it doesn't get used for a while it gets removed, so if you enjoy something, it would be wise to make use of it, the Champion forums are specifically for more in-depth development discussions that a lot of you pay extra for, so you may as well use them instead of going for bigger discussion pools in the general area ;)

Ok

This post was edited by Aich at February 16, 2016 7:50 AM PST
    • 1714 posts
    February 15, 2016 8:52 PM PST

I really hope they bring back the original EQ spell circles. It was such cool gamplay to have the ebb and flow of power depending on where you were at relative to the next circle. I dislike the "1 skill every level" mentality. 

• 96 posts
    February 15, 2016 9:11 PM PST

I really loved how spells were in EQ. It seemed as though a lot of thought and creativity went into making them.

• 66 posts
    February 15, 2016 9:13 PM PST

Krixus said:

I really hope they bring back the original EQ spell circles. It was such cool gamplay to have the ebb and flow of power depending on where you were at relative to the next circle. I dislike the "1 skill every level" mentality. 

i loved this about old EQ, i forgot when they changed it to a spell or 2 per level. i really liked looking forward to the next spell level. I also want to see fizzling until you got your casting skill up for the particular spell type. also want to see that chance of GATE being unstable. i'm sure all casters here have some interesting story with an untimely GATE being unstable.  Or how bout casting evocation spells or conjuration spells till your mana ran out just casting on yourself just to get skill ups. i think going the spell circle route is perfect.