Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Buff mechanics

• 753 posts
    January 28, 2016 3:55 PM PST

Something that was running through my head - Do you prefer:

1)  A buff line of spells where you get a new spell in the line every so many levels that increases a given stat or set of stats by some numerical value (5, 20, 50, 100, etc...)?

OR

2)  A buff spell that you get once and only once - that increases a stat or a set of stats by a given percentage, so that it scales as you advance in the game and gather gear with more of those stats on it?

• 2419 posts
    January 28, 2016 4:05 PM PST

Why such an either-or when a combination has been used by EQ since inception and, frankly, was a brilliant approach?

You got a spell in a given line at lvl X, and for some number of levels after that it gradually grew in power then reached a cap.  A level or so later on you received a newer version with a much larger increase in stats.

Then you had instances where you would have 2 separate spells which would later on be combined into 1 spell.  That spell would grow over a few levels then one aspect of it would be replaced by a single spell and the other part replaced by another single spell both which would grow over a few levels only to then be combined yet again into a single spell.

Collecting spells is part of the fun, much like gathering armor or weapons.  It give you that sense of accomplishment, a reward for your efforts, even a surprise when it isn't expected.  Not to mention the market opportunities of selling spell drops, trading for ones you don't have, etc.  All that nice player-player interaction would be lost otherwise.

• 104 posts
    January 29, 2016 6:51 AM PST

I'd rather have the same spell get more powerful as I go. Seems silly to learn a new spell if it does the exact same thing just more powerfully.

• 610 posts
    January 29, 2016 9:33 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Why such an either-or when a combination has been used by EQ since inception and, frankly, was a brilliant approach?

You got a spell in a given line at lvl X, and for some number of levels after that it gradually grew in power then reached a cap.  A level or so later on you received a newer version with a much larger increase in stats.

Then you had instances where you would have 2 separate spells which would later on be combined into 1 spell.  That spell would grow over a few levels then one aspect of it would be replaced by a single spell and the other part replaced by another single spell both which would grow over a few levels only to then be combined yet again into a single spell.

Collecting spells is part of the fun, much like gathering armor or weapons.  It give you that sense of accomplishment, a reward for your efforts, even a surprise when it isn't expected.  Not to mention the market opportunities of selling spell drops, trading for ones you don't have, etc.  All that nice player-player interaction would be lost otherwise.

couldnt agree more....also loved how they did the spell ranges, at level 1 you got a range of spells then nothing until level 5 or so and every 4 or 5 levels you got spell, except bards we got 1 new song each level

• 578 posts
    January 29, 2016 10:02 PM PST

Wandidar said:

1)  A buff line of spells where you get a new spell in the line every so many levels that increases a given stat or set of stats by some numerical value (5, 20, 50, 100, etc...)?

OR

2)  A buff spell that you get once and only once - that increases a stat or a set of stats by a given percentage, so that it scales as you advance in the game and gather gear with more of those stats on it?

I undertstand where you are coming from but I agree with Vand that getting new spells (even if they are the same spell only stronger) is part of the fun. Just think of how many less spells you'd get if you removed all the lines. I remember in VG every level or two you'd get a couple of spells and I couldn't wait to get to the 30s because around then you'd get like 10 spells every other level. It was like christmas.

But I also like how Diablo 3 worked it's spell system which is something I wouldn't mind seeing in Pantheon because I think it was a great system. You got a brand new spell every level or every other level. You never got a duplicate which was just stronger, all your spells scaled with your level. But every so many levels you get a rune for all of your previous spells which would alter your previous spells in a specific manner. So you never got the same spell just stronger, you got different ways to use your spells. Which from the codex or whatever it is, it seems like Pantheon may be heading in this direction somewhat.

So eiher way is fine with me, but if we remove the lines and just have our spells scale some how I still want that christmas feeling every level or two like we had in VG.

• 610 posts
    January 30, 2016 1:27 AM PST

NoobieDoo said:

Wandidar said:

OR

I undertstand where you are coming from but I agree with Vand that getting new spells (even if they are the same spell only stronger) is part of the fun. Just think of how many less spells you'd get if you removed all the lines. I remember in VG every level or two you'd get a couple of spells and I couldn't wait to get to the 30s because around then you'd get like 10 spells every other level. It was like christmas.

But I also like how Diablo 3 worked it's spell system which is something I wouldn't mind seeing in Pantheon because I think it was a great system. You got a brand new spell every level or every other level. You never got a duplicate which was just stronger, all your spells scaled with your level. But every so many levels you get a rune for all of your previous spells which would alter your previous spells in a specific manner. So you never got the same spell just stronger, you got different ways to use your spells. Which from the codex or whatever it is, it seems like Pantheon may be heading in this direction somewhat.

So eiher way is fine with me, but if we remove the lines and just have our spells scale some how I still want that christmas feeling every level or two like we had in VG.

I dont mind having runes or some feature where you can customize your spells, but make the choices permanent...I want my choices to matter and for it to be a major decision for my character on how I build his spell book

• 66 posts
    January 30, 2016 3:46 AM PST

i liked how EQ had it. lets say the wizard for example, learned a spell that did 70 - 82 dmg per cast, at the level you learned it at, you would most likely deal the lower end of the spectrum, but as you leveled up the minimal dmg would go up, up to the level or 2 before you upgraded that line of spells you would be doing max dmg each cast. to me it makes sense because you arent proficient at casting the new spell you learned but got better as you gained levels. i didnt play a buff class so i dont know how it worked with them.