Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

3 things

• 106 posts
    January 9, 2016 11:16 AM PST

as i started up eq again after i last logged on in 2008ish, i founds some things that i would not want to see in pantheon

1. AFK boot - in eq if i go afk for an hour or so the game boots you out of the game. I have kids, sometimes i go afk for a bit, i don't want to have to log back in again.

2. Daily quests - the focus then turns to daily quests and not the game itself. In other games i have rushed to try to complete dailies so i could then move onto grouping with friends. I already know this isn't going to be part of the game but it's always worth mentioning.

3. Multiple progressions used to advance - there's alternate currencies for certain expansions to upgrade armor, there's evolutions of items, there's mercenaries and then you have to lvl up the mercenaries, there's alternate advancement abilities that need to be lvled up, then mercs have abilities and armor. I'd get spread too thin, it's too much to do for me personally.  I like options but eq went overboard to me.

This post was edited by Azar at January 9, 2016 12:07 PM PST
    • 37 posts
    January 9, 2016 11:27 AM PST

I've never been booted from EQ (1) for afk. Maybe it's a setting in your options? I do get booted from DDO pretty quick if I leave the keys.

I am not a fan of daily quests either.

There are dozens if not hundreds of linear games out there. I disagree with you on this one. I would not bother to play Pantheon if there was "one path."

• 106 posts
    January 9, 2016 11:48 AM PST
    Sorry Romulus, the last one I mean, eq if flooded with it and in some instances, it's only good for one expansion. I don't have an issue with options, it's the overabundance of options that I feel you "need" to progess. You have to do it all or you fall behind. That's what I don't like
    • 37 posts
    January 9, 2016 12:23 PM PST

I just quit playing EQ1, probably (hopefully) for the last time. RIP.

Here's my take on how "they" intend for progression to be. Not intended as an argument but rather my opinion.

In EQ1 if you follow the quest line for the expansion, you will end up achieving all the levels/aa you need to achieve.

During your copletions of the quests, you will get aa, gear, experience, spells, and whatever alternate currency is being used in such an amount as to allow you to achieve those other things without having to set out specifically to get them.

If you are using a mercenary during your questing, your mercenary will earn aa. Whether your merc has the aa or not does not, imo, seem to matter **that much** in the broad scheme of things.

Again, the mercenary gear is purchased with the currency you are constantly earning by moving through the expansion. 

So in one regard you are correct - you need to follow the quest path. But once you have completed the path, you are pretty near "done" in the meaningful sense. OK maybe you still need to get a "hastened call of the something" aa, or your merc is not maxed out. But you still have months to play before new content is released.

I, too, object to the linearity of needing to follow the quest path. But for me my objection is because it really does point out there is but "one path" even though it appears there are more than one paths.

• 158 posts
    January 9, 2016 12:33 PM PST

I have to agree with romulus on this, I agree with the top 2 things (I specifically really am not a fan of daily/weekly objectives and would rather quests be genericly repeatable over repeatable once daily) but can't get behind the 3rd point. Lack of variety of viable alternative play (both while leveling and at endgame) is one of my major dislikes for the games currently on the market.

• 2419 posts
    January 9, 2016 1:32 PM PST

Simples said:

as i started up eq again after i last logged on in 2008ish, i founds some things that i would not want to see in pantheon

3. Multiple progressions used to advance - there's alternate currencies for certain expansions to upgrade armor, there's evolutions of items, there's mercenaries and then you have to lvl up the mercenaries, there's alternate advancement abilities that need to be lvled up, then mercs have abilities and armor. I'd get spread too thin, it's too much to do for me personally.  I like options but eq went overboard to me.

Sorry but I cannot agree with your sentiment on multiple progressions. Alternate Advancements were a breath of fresh air in EQ, really opening up your class to new abilities, strengths and utility.  Honestly I've love to see an AA style advancement available from level 1 onwards.  Merely gaining levels is too straightline, boring really.

• 724 posts
    January 10, 2016 12:51 AM PST

Simples said:

1. AFK boot - in eq if i go afk for an hour or so the game boots you out of the game. I have kids, sometimes i go afk for a bit, i don't want to have to log back in again.

I don't understand this mentality of "I must be in the game at all times"...really, I don't get it. If you need to go AFK, then just log out, what's so bad about it?

I hope that Pantheon will have a mechanism for auto-logout. Maybe not throwing you out of the game completely, but back to character select: Tto a place where your character doesn't use up server resources.

• 158 posts
    January 10, 2016 1:47 AM PST

Sarim said:

Simples said:

I don't understand this mentality of "I must be in the game at all times"...really, I don't get it. If you need to go AFK, then just log out, what's so bad about it?

I hope that Pantheon will have a mechanism for auto-logout. Maybe not throwing you out of the game completely, but back to character select: Tto a place where your character doesn't use up server resources.

Well, that would be unreasonable if the game works as some people want it to (in this case I am talking about no auction house). Kindof doesn't make sense to have an auto kick when the expectation in that case is most likely player shops.

Personally, I would only support an auto-kick IF servers are packed to the brim (to where others cannot get on) and on the understanding that once numbers drop down to manageable that auto-kick will be once again disabled. Just as you can't understand why people would want to be in game at all times, I can't understand why anyone would care if you are logged in at all times unless it is forcing people into a waiting list or something.

• 106 posts
    January 10, 2016 1:10 PM PST
    So, the reason eq was booting me was because u bound myself in a death loop. I guess I can't complain about that.

Glad you guys show your support for diversity, I just hope personally that I won't feel the need to get/progress every aspect of the game
    • 595 posts
    January 10, 2016 1:46 PM PST

Simples said:

2. Daily quests - the focus then turns to daily quests and not the game itself. In other games i have rushed to try to complete dailies so i could then move onto grouping with friends. I already know this isn't going to be part of the game but it's always worth mentioning.

1. This is an utter non-issue to me. I don't recall the concept of player run shops, as someone else mentioned, ever being confirmed by VR (not to say they couldn't be in) and certainly nothing that would require you to be logged in to sell wares. I couldn't care less if I have to retype my password after being afk for an extended period, so long as its within reason (if I run to the bathroom for 2 mins and come back to the character select screen I would be slightly annoyed).

2. Yea, I tend to agree with your sentiment as far as dailies are concerned, at least in their mainstream form.

3. As most have pointed out, I want more options, not less. I want to be able to differentiate my characters from others of the same class. Anything that contributes to that end I'm in support of. I think you are more concerned with the idea of being forced to level certain aspects or your toon for fear of being left behind. I can see your argument, but I feel what you describe is a broken, tedious mechanic that would point to larger flaws in design principles. I feel like most things of this nature should and will be purely voluntary.

• 1714 posts
    January 10, 2016 2:12 PM PST

No way in hell this game has daily quests. If it does, they've been lying to us the whole time about what kind of game ROTF is, and most of the people here will vomit and quit. 

• 158 posts
    January 11, 2016 1:59 AM PST

Simples said: So, the reason eq was booting me was because u bound myself in a death loop. I guess I can't complain about that. Glad you guys show your support for diversity, I just hope personally that I won't feel the need to get/progress every aspect of the game

Of course, I mean it is somewhat dependent on the person (some people will feel just about anything is forced) but part of the value of offering a divers variety of things is that you can do what you want or enjoy and still make progress. I imagaine there would still be benefit in doing everything, but I don't think its really wanted that every piece of content be critical to all others. Just as an example, crafting could in theory offer up several top tier pieces of gear but you may not be required to do crafting through alternative gear sources or perhaps purchasing from other players. I know that you weren't exactly talking about something like crafting but I am just trying to point out that there can be multiple methods with similar levels of value and still allow you options instead of demanding that you travel every road.

This post was edited by Mephiles at January 11, 2016 2:04 AM PST