Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

UI Discussion

• 86 posts
    November 8, 2015 2:26 PM PST

I could find almost nothing which discusses the in-game user interface. What features of the user interface would you all like to see? I've compiled my own short list below:

1.  Clean (minimalistic) by default, or the options to disable "flashy" items, such as displaying avatars on health bars.
    2. Ability to reorganize the party list.
      1. Especially important for healers to be able to place tanks on keys which are easier to access (F2, F3, etc).
    3. A clear skillbook which can be sorted alphabetically by rank or other key factors.
    4. The UI needs to be intuitive and responsive. If there is one thing users hate, it is the system they are required to use being ineffective for the task.
    5. A scalable UI, for those of us that like or need things larger or smaller.

All of these are generally what I look for when I'm browsing a new MMORPG. What do you all look for?

This post was edited by Alex Wright at November 8, 2015 2:26 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 8, 2015 3:15 PM PST

This topic has actually been discussed at great length and in great detail, but the posts were pre-2015 and have been archived, so feel free to discuss it again here if you like. :)

• 86 posts
    November 8, 2015 3:47 PM PST

Oh, that is a shame! Is there anywhere to read that topic, or has it been removed permanently?

• 9115 posts
    November 8, 2015 6:52 PM PST

shihiro said:

Oh, that is a shame! Is there anywhere to read that topic, or has it been removed permanently?

It has been removed permanently sadly, we had issues migrating to this version of the forums and decided to just archive anything prior to 2015, so we can dig through if needed but it isn't public. We will also be starting fresh on the new vBulletin forums when we make that move soon too. :)

• 4 posts
    November 8, 2015 8:55 PM PST

There are many things I don't like about GW2, but I did like where they were going with the combat and how it worked with the UI.  If you look at many aged MMOs WOW/EQ/EQ2 you see UIs cluttered with all kinds of buttons and add ons.  Part of this is due to poor planning by the devs and they just keep piling on abilities/aa without looking at it holistically.  All and all, I want to play the game and not the UI.

• 160 posts
    November 9, 2015 12:39 PM PST

Scalable UI, please. I play in 4096x2160 on a 31-inch monitor, and games that don't scale their UI properly are a pain (usually, letters and other items are very small and hard to read). (On the other side, games that scale properly look very nice)

Also, pay special attention to the raid-related UI. A player when solo, can take his time; in group, somewhat less. But when leading a 72-person raid (this was from EQ 1; I don't know the max raid size in Pantheon), the raid leader really has no time for an UI that is cumbersome and slows things down.

• 86 posts
    November 9, 2015 7:57 PM PST

Aethor said:

Also, pay special attention to the raid-related UI. A player when solo, can take his time; in group, somewhat less. But when leading a 72-person raid (this was from EQ 1; I don't know the max raid size in Pantheon), the raid leader really has no time for an UI that is cumbersome and slows things down.

I cannot stress this enough! If one thing had to be included, this must be that thing.

• 52 posts
    November 28, 2015 11:00 PM PST

I didn't want to start a new thread when i feel this question fits in with the UI discussion. Perhaps a new thread is warrented but sticking it here for now.

I'm wondering how chat related text will be handled. I'm really not a fan of all the extra nonsense from EQ or EQ2 when it comes to chat text. I find it cumbersome.

An example of EQ chat - "Aldie says to the guild: Hi all" as opposded to what i personally prefer - "Adlie: Hi all"

I prefer the minimalist approach of the second while allowing different tabs and colors to handle the channel i'm speaking in. I realize this may be nitpicking but it does drive me bonkers. I'm sure the EQ players may be used to it but i'm really not a fan. Any thoughts or opinions?

• 70 posts
    November 29, 2015 2:29 PM PST

Kilsin said:

shihiro said:

It has been removed permanently sadly, we had issues migrating to this version of the forums and decided to just archive anything prior to 2015, so we can dig through if needed but it isn't public. We will also be starting fresh on the new vBulletin forums when we make that move soon too. :)

Which explains why I started fresh when I posted here, after posting for a year or so on the old forums. I do see the reason to remove the old forums. They can cause confusion, and needless argument over subjects already closed, I would think. So much changes in game development/design in 2 +/-  years.

I like the basic EQII UI. All scaleable, all moveable, most can be turned on or off. The ability to make them transparent. I especially like the way chat is handled: separate tell windows are also a great idea. I like being able to set the font, size and color of my text. My 'tell' has been green, group cyan, say white, shout red, messages yellow, and chat purple, since Eq whenever I have the ability to set it myself. The colors tip you to what is incoming. With separate windows not so necessary now, but still use it.

I saw a ss of Aradunes UI recently. I noted that the character window is very reminescent of EQ :)

• 86 posts
    November 29, 2015 2:53 PM PST

Graysilk said:

Kilsin said:

shihiro said:

Which explains why I started fresh when I posted here, after posting for a year or so on the old forums. I do see the reason to remove the old forums. They can cause confusion, and needless argument over subjects already closed, I would think. So much changes in game development/design in 2 +/-  years.

I like the basic EQII UI. All scaleable, all moveable, most can be turned on or off. The ability to make them transparent. I especially like the way chat is handled: separate tell windows are also a great idea. I like being able to set the font, size and color of my text. My 'tell' has been green, group cyan, say white, shout red, messages yellow, and chat purple, since Eq whenever I have the ability to set it myself. The colors tip you to what is incoming. With separate windows not so necessary now, but still use it.

I saw a ss of Aradunes UI recently. I noted that the character window is very reminescent of EQ :)

True, but at the same time there are many things I dislike about EQ2's UI. For one, that there are so many awkward options and scale issues (Ever tried re-scaling the buffs window? Buffs disappear or drop off). To edit something's position, you've got to make sure that: 1. It's unlocked. 2. It's clickable. Then you have border alpha, background alpha, foreground alpha, etc. Then there's the inability to disable windows completely. You can set them to be completely invisible, but then you might find you need them again later, and have to find a way to get it back. I like FFXIV's options to edit the UI. It's simple, functional, and allows me to enable/disable features fairly quickly. The Raid Windows are also very nicely done. They notify of debuffs and missing HP, nothing else. Simple, but effective.

• 163 posts
    December 1, 2015 3:56 PM PST

Good topic. I like your first bullet point very much. A simple UI is very attractive to me, and a messy/decorative/picture oriented UI and skill bar is very unattractive to me. I know it's the modern way, but I like for the world and environment graphics to be my main focal point, and the UI to be the 'backdrop.'

• 753 posts
    December 1, 2015 4:07 PM PST

I'll say what I said the last time this topic came up (and will say it again the next time this topic comes up!) - because it's a simple statement for me and is always true:

I want to feel like I'm playing the game - not the UI.  When I play the game, I have a much better chance to become immersed in my avatar.  When I'm playing the UI, I'm watching the game.

• 2419 posts
    December 1, 2015 4:50 PM PST

For me, all I ask is that if the UI is presenting me information, I want the option to display it where and how I like.  I too prefer the minimalist approach whereby I can have the most information I can get presented in the smallest area possible.  What was so nice about the EQ1 UI (later on, not at release mind you) where battle text, for example, could be divided up any number of ways and I could color code them as I saw fit.  All I ever needed to see were just numbers because of my color coding (and having the notifications spread across several text boxes) I could immediately see what was happening just by the colors.

The developers need to take great care towards what information they are sending to me but what they do send me needs to be fully open to my manipulation.

• 52 posts
    December 1, 2015 6:07 PM PST

Wandidar said:

I want to feel like I'm playing the game - not the UI.  When I play the game, I have a much better chance to become immersed in my avatar.  When I'm playing the UI, I'm watching the game.

I completely agree with this. My attention should be focused on combat or my surroundings. I don't want to be staring at the UI.

This post was edited by Aldie at December 1, 2015 6:07 PM PST
    • 19 posts
    December 1, 2015 6:19 PM PST

The ability to move the UI across your screen to make it so we can easily see the information we need to see without having to take our eyes off the action.

The ability to maneuver party/raid frames around to facilitate healing. IE if i am main tank healing I would really like to have the MT health bar near the middle of my screen so i can closely monitor it while also monitoring all the mechanic of the targets/boss.

• 147 posts
    December 6, 2015 6:06 AM PST

What if there wasnt a group / raid window,  instead have health displayed on the player. Would make healing more active than just watching a group / raid window.

You would have to target them to see what buffs they had / needed. You would still have offensive / defensive target windows. Group heals would work if they were in line of sight. Single heals you would have to switch your defensive target.

Raid / group window for loot distribution, setting groups up.

Could display names in colors or a number by the players name to show which group they were part of.

This post was edited by Obliquity at December 6, 2015 6:16 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 7, 2015 3:32 PM PST

As long as the UI is customizable the player can decide what is too much or too little information, the UI will be fine. Moving to a customizable, XML based, UI was one of the best things EQ ever did.

Regarding the 'raid window', I like the idea that it's just a combination of multiple groups.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at December 8, 2015 6:33 PM PST
    • 668 posts
    December 7, 2015 3:47 PM PST

Yep keep it simple, scalable, moveable, and be able to "show" certain boxes or pictures of the UI by a simple box check from options menu.