Forums » The Elves

High Elves=Only elves

• 167 posts
    November 2, 2015 5:48 AM PST

Please be high elves, the master race of elves.

• 63 posts
    November 7, 2015 8:18 PM PST

I think it seems like they're not having exactly that kind of division for elves. I think the halflings fill the wood elf type (the EQ/Vanguard wood elf type, anyway) while the elf lore describes the elves being divided between the isolationalist "Ashen" and the aggressive "Ember".

• 133 posts
    December 12, 2015 7:05 PM PST

Which is sad, because woodelf is the way to go for ranger... but I'll be damned if I'm going to stoop so low as to play a 'ling!

• 44 posts
    February 10, 2016 6:55 PM PST

Night elf?

...I'll show myself out.

This post was edited by Alaster at February 10, 2016 6:56 PM PST
    • 167 posts
    February 11, 2016 5:24 AM PST

Alaster said:

Night elf?

...I'll show myself out.

Which in WoW lore are still the same race as the Blood elves (AKA) high elves, theyre just not the highborn. Boom High elves only elves.

• 1202 posts
    February 15, 2016 1:37 PM PST

According to the lore they live in trees so its going to more Wood Elf then High Elf.

• 997 posts
    April 14, 2016 2:03 PM PDT

The lore does cover 3 casts of Elves.  Elves themselves are a unique race and usually are among the oldest and most gifted for building/fighting and other things.  I amnot sure there is a master race.

Ox

• 374 posts
    May 5, 2016 5:26 PM PDT

Tunare !

• 7 posts
    June 16, 2016 5:24 PM PDT

Dark Elves or get out! They've always been my favorite race!

This post was edited by Sorsha at June 16, 2016 5:24 PM PDT
    • 28 posts
    October 13, 2016 2:20 PM PDT

Based on the lore, the Tohr'mentirii seem like the most likely candidate for dark elves...

Maybe we'll hear from them later.

-Tk

• 4539 posts
    November 10, 2016 3:10 PM PST

Pantheon elves definitely seem more like Wood Elves to me. Which is totally fine and cool, and that's coming from someone who's first serious MMO character was a High Elf.

• 198 posts
    December 5, 2016 11:13 AM PST

Let's throw all this Tolkien and D&D stuff out, let them be Pantheon's Elves, why try and categorize them into stereotypes defined by other games and media when we can have something potentially new.

Just my 2-cents in this, still doesn't change that gnomes>all.

//Voices of Terminus' Youmu/Svartie

• 38 posts
    December 8, 2016 5:57 PM PST

Sorsha said:

Well, I'm thinking the Skar will be the new Dark elf, but I agree, Dark Elf is one of my favorite races to play, to date, Hathor and Pankor Zhi Dark Elves were the best I have ever seen made in a MMO.

• 6 posts
    December 10, 2016 8:08 AM PST

I always liked the EQ version of elves with the exception of the half elf. You'd think a mixed race elf would have varying skin tones, facial features, and height but alas, a half elf is still just an elf. You have no idea how much I wanted a tall, pale blue elf to call my own. :(

That said, what I am seeing as the Pantheon elf I like. Same or very similar features with the differences being cultural/class related. Maybe different abilities for tradeskills and such based on passive vs aggressive (I declined to use good v evil, at least right now).

• 101 posts
    December 12, 2016 11:06 PM PST

Arksien said:

Which is sad, because woodelf is the way to go for ranger... but I'll be damned if I'm going to stoop so low as to play a 'ling!

Well said!

• 374 posts
    December 18, 2016 3:49 PM PST

Malloriana said:

I always liked the EQ version of elves with the exception of the half elf. You'd think a mixed race elf would have varying skin tones, facial features, and height but alas, a half elf is still just an elf. You have no idea how much I wanted a tall, pale blue elf to call my own. :(

That said, what I am seeing as the Pantheon elf I like. Same or very similar features with the differences being cultural/class related. Maybe different abilities for tradeskills and such based on passive vs aggressive (I declined to use good v evil, at least right now).

I think I recall that they changed them to like 49% Elf a few months after launch. :) 

• 1915 posts
    December 18, 2016 6:06 PM PST

I like half elves, because they have Mohawks and nose rings.

• 1915 posts
    December 31, 2016 7:36 PM PST

Gomok said:

Sorsha said:

Well, I'm thinking the Skar will be the new Dark elf, but I agree, Dark Elf is one of my favorite races to play, to date, Hathor and Pankor Zhi Dark Elves were the best I have ever seen made in a MMO.

I would think the Dark Myr are replacing the Dark Elves.

• 3025 posts
    February 8, 2017 5:59 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Gomok said:

I would think the Dark Myr are replacing the Dark Elves.

Yeah I believe Skar are actually what the Trolls turned into during development. 

• 516 posts
    February 12, 2017 10:51 AM PST
    IMO I think high elves are always tied closer to nature then other races. I don't see the elves in Pantheon as wood elves. We will need to see their main city to see what's the case. Will it have a magic tree in the center of a city or will it be a big magical tree with houses made of plants and trees? Or mostly living inside the magical tree.
    • 4539 posts
    February 12, 2017 6:48 PM PST

Remember that the Elves are divided into two sects: Ashen and Ember. Perhaps the Ashen are similar to what we know as high elves, while the Ember are possibly more akin to wood elves.

• 167 posts
    April 3, 2017 11:27 PM PDT

If we are playing wood elves, why can they be all the intelligence casters?

• 4539 posts
    April 4, 2017 6:06 AM PDT

Taledar said:

Who's to say Elves can't be intelligent? To say they are actually "wood elves" is an extremely basic, low-level comparison. While it may technically be the most similar, there's still so much more to it than that. It's best to think of them as a new race, rather than just bunching them with the closest thing in EQ. Just as the closest comparison to Pantheon itself may be EQ, there's still so much more to it than just that. Drawing direct connections is very limiting.

• 296 posts
    April 4, 2017 7:55 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Taledar said:

Who's to say Elves can't be intelligent? To say they are actually "wood elves" is an extremely basic, low-level comparison. While it may technically be the most similar, there's still so much more to it than that. It's best to think of them as a new race, rather than just bunching them with the closest thing in EQ. Just as the closest comparison to Pantheon itself may be EQ, there's still so much more to it than just that. Drawing direct connections is very limiting.

I don't see any cookies so they can't be that smart.

• 758 posts
    April 4, 2017 8:49 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Taledar said:

Even in the lore, can you find anything that says elves are intelligent? I see a lot on wisdom, and on their tree, and on their sense of duty and their desire to purge the world of evil...But nothing that comes even close to the gnome lore on just screaming "intelligent" with every line. 

Elves in other stories can be all the intelligence casters. They are even very wise, have past or present long term battles with forces of pure evil, and love trees. If you look hard you can find many easy comparisons between Pantheon races/classes and those things in other fantasy stories. For example; The similarity between Pantheon Archai and DnD's Genasi.

The Pantheon Lore guy is fantastic at what he does, but I don't think it's unfair to make comparisons between his work and other works.

____

The best explanation I can give Taledar is one I got on a similar topic about how wise folk like dwarves could get an intelligent caster role like enchanter. In this other post, I argued that a race which isn't insanely intelligent could not realistically be expected to cast spells that are essentially mind control. I learned that:

1. The individual races might have significant, game play related, differences when it comes to how they play a particular class. Dwarven enchanters might actually have different spells than gnomish enchanters; Dwarven spells might be more based on enchanting inanimate objects, such as metals. Gnomes and other more intelligent races are then left with the actual mind control. 

This also helps to explain why a race like halflings, who would take using words to turn their enemies, such as laughing wraiths, in stride, didn't get enchanting. Halflings would be interested in enchanting minds. But they are not intelligent, nor arcane inclined, enough to actually accomplish any form of mind control (the only aspect of the Enchanter class they are interested in.)

Wood elves may use aspects of the "intelligence" based classes in some unique way that pertains to wood elves' strengths/weaknesses. 

2. Vr's reasoning for adding in things like gnome rogues, archai monks, or dwarven enchanters can be looked into pretty deeply.

It could be fair to say that VR is more interested in the picture in their minds and that picture's effect on gameplay.

This IS a game after all. We have features like the holy trinity, despite their lack of realism.

Thus, even if wood elves aren't realistically intelligent enough for intelligence based spells, VR perceives intelligent wood elves as an interesting and valuable part of their game, so long as you are willing to go outside of the box (like with gnome rogues).

In this case, my previous example of halfling enchanters could be explained away by VR simply not feeling halfling enchanters are an interesting and useful addition to Pantheon gameplay. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at April 4, 2017 9:33 PM PDT