Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mob Tagging

• 72 posts
    October 28, 2015 10:10 AM PDT

I wasn't able to find this topic in the search, perhaps it was already talked about on the older forums, so I apologize if it was. 

Does anyone have any idea of what type of mob tagging system will be implemented? Total damage dealt versus first damage dealt?

I'm curious as to what everyone's preference on the subject is as well. Both tagging systems offer pros and cons. I'm primarily talking about this tagging system for open world non-raid spawns. (I would imagine raid spawns might have a unique tag system implemented).

-Furor

This post was edited by Furor at October 28, 2015 10:11 AM PDT
    • 610 posts
    October 28, 2015 10:42 AM PDT

Please no mob tagging

Just leave it alone, you do 51 you get points

wish people would stop trying to code out bad behaviour

let the community deal with it as we did in EQ

it worked then, it will work now.

This post was edited by Sevens at October 28, 2015 10:42 AM PDT
    • 409 posts
    October 28, 2015 1:19 PM PDT

Preference is 51% wins the loot and exp.

Yes, that favors the pure DPS classes in most single target farming, but if loot drops of any significance are NO DROP like they should be, then it really never ends up being a problem. Toss ina  proper death penalty, no aggro leash, and Vr letting the players police themselves, and I believe 51% gets loot and exp would work just fine.

• 116 posts
    October 28, 2015 1:21 PM PDT

I'm hoping for some sort of hybrid system where:

1- First person to tag is labeled as such.

2-You then have to back that claim with actual damage. 25%,50%.etc is debatable, but no free ride just for being the first to tag.

I think this would help in situations such as in heavy traffic area when no ill will is intended but 2 players (or groups) have their eyes on the same unclaimed mob. A label showing who hit first would let the second player move on to the next target without wasting their ressources. 

Sevens, your faith in the community is admirable, but even if a player is forced by the community to evantually to re-roll because they were a douche bag, it doesn't mean heavy frustrations from many players before that. Stories from EQ progression servers also seem to indicate that players are not always so good willed.

• 409 posts
    October 28, 2015 1:43 PM PDT

No faith in the community needed. Just let the community handle the majority of its own policing. 51% works just fine then.

• 1778 posts
    October 28, 2015 2:35 PM PDT

This honestly ties in directly with the whole cap vs non-cap argument. So to me Id definately want tags in the form of first claiming action or at least first DPS. It does no good to have caps so that content isnt trivialized if there isnt non-interfernece in effect. You claim it, you beat it on your own steam. When or If you die, your group losses claim and it opens up to fresh challengers. Oh and no resets on HPs. If your group gets the enemy down to 1% and dies, and another claims it and gets the kill and there by the loot, too bad. The 51% thing just sounds so........ idk cheap. That makes it less about skill and too much about who can get the biggest zerg the fastest. Besides, maybe I want to see if me and my group can take out the enemy on our own. I dont want or need the charity.

• 610 posts
    October 28, 2015 4:56 PM PDT

Mekada said:

I'm hoping for some sort of hybrid system where:

1- First person to tag is labeled as such.

2-You then have to back that claim with actual damage. 25%,50%.etc is debatable, but no free ride just for being the first to tag.

I think this would help in situations such as in heavy traffic area when no ill will is intended but 2 players (or groups) have their eyes on the same unclaimed mob. A label showing who hit first would let the second player move on to the next target without wasting their ressources. 

Sevens, your faith in the community is admirable, but even if a player is forced by the community to evantually to re-roll because they were a douche bag, it doesn't mean heavy frustrations from many players before that. Stories from EQ progression servers also seem to indicate that players are not always so good willed.

Its not just faith in the community...I spent many a year on the EQ RP server and it was never a problem. This whole idea of the devs solving all our problems is what has led us to the shitty state of mmo today. I generally want the devs to make the world then just get out of the way like they mostly did in EQ. Tired of all the "systems" that have been built into games anymore. if theres ever any problem we just rely on the devs to code it out and make our problems disappear

• 34 posts
    October 28, 2015 7:37 PM PDT

Have to side with let things go and the community can police itself with an occasional intervention for severe cases. A sort of label system might not hurt: the first to engage a mob tags it but it's purely an informative tag for other players. It has no effect on loot or anything else. If the player dies or is not actively fighting the mob for a period the tag expires.

If it really does become an issue even the community can't keep in line then the devs could always implement a tagging system at that time to try and mitigate the problem. But until it's actually broke, don't fix it.

• 1778 posts
    October 29, 2015 2:55 PM PDT
    That would actually create a much bigger problem. Id rather things be right from the start than a cluster**** that is a painful process to fix later. Plus I do think the idea is broken already. What was true in the past isnt necessarily the case now. The only place I see this working is on a PvP server where community policing has teeth or maybe........ maybe RP servers because that designation in itself should chase away a large section of the bad element...... maybe.
    • 47 posts
    October 29, 2015 10:51 PM PDT

Problem with the 51 rule is that burst damage classes will always win a contested mob from other classes. A better system needs to acknowledge first tag, but also require follow through, perhaps first tag plus min of 30 pct total damage to get the credit. This way if you tag first and don't just walk away, you'll get the kill. If you tag second, you need to do most of the damage (70 pct) to take the credit. Gives DoT classes a chance to compete with DD classes and makes it harder for griefers to steal kills.

System definately needs to be backed up by a good agro system and by NO leash system. A mob should either chase you, give up, or flee depending on their nature, their percieved chance of catching you, their percieved chance of beating you (includes relative injury of them and you) and perhaps some random variation to allow for degrees of temperament within individuals.

I have zero faith in community policing.

• 126 posts
    October 30, 2015 12:30 AM PDT

I am also of the first come, first serve approach. And when someone is too hasty and biting more than he/she/the group can chew, then suffer the dreadful consequences of being smeared over the floor and the other player/s get the kill anyway.

• 999 posts
    October 30, 2015 5:18 PM PDT

RandomCarnage said:

I have zero faith in community policing.

Community policing works if there's a community.  If Pantheon turns into theme-park clone 1000, then yes, leashing would be a must as no player knows anyone and no one cares.  

However, in an open world where player/server reputation matters, it's only a matter of time before that griefer would be known and outcasted from groups, raids, etc.  In a game world with "camp" style dungeons, having a /camp check with respectable players would stop a lot of the griefers, and, if that camp isn't respected, as previously stated, it will only be a matter of time before that player would have to quit, reroll, or permanently attempt to solo.  

And yes, that doesn't stop the person from originally kill stealing, training, etc.; however, I would rather have the element of realism in the world where reputation matters and famous as well as infamous players are known.