Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Gaming Insiders Summit Audio!

• 9115 posts
    October 12, 2015 5:34 AM PDT

Dear Pantheon Community,

We have managed to get our hands on a recording of the Gaming Insiders Summit that Brad McQuaid and Ben de la Durantaye attended a couple of weeks ago that you have all been asking for, we did not record this ourselves, but we were lucky enough to get a copy from an event organiser that did, so here it is!

https://soundcloud.com/xavdm/brad-mcquaid-and-visionary-realms-at-gaming-insiders-summit-2015

• 105 posts
    October 12, 2015 7:48 AM PDT

A pretty decent listen that left me wanting to hear more.  

Getting around the "this game will be f2p in 6 mos. tops" crowd to find the cooperative play players will be an uphill battle, though.  There is such toxicity in some of the current games being played that I think many of the newer gamers might be too jaded to even try.  I think the free-to-play misnomer has done so much to hurt this genre that we, as a community, really have our work cut out for us in getting new people--the right new people--interested.  

• 781 posts
    October 12, 2015 8:30 AM PDT

Loved it, Thx Kilsin :)

• 511 posts
    October 12, 2015 9:29 AM PDT

I am happy that VR is not out to make everyone filthy stinking rich. They are out to make a game they want to play, and a game they know at least an X number of people want to play. Sounds like as long as there are enough subs to pay make the game, keep the hamsters feed and pay the workers they will keep moving forward. Hopefully they reach that number and exceed it!

• 595 posts
    October 12, 2015 9:44 AM PDT

Pretty cool.  For those of us that have been around and devoted time to the Pantheon community this pannel was a bit redundant.  However, I do very much appreciate that these types of forums for spreading the theories of VR are beginning to present themselves.  Keep up the great work guys.

• 383 posts
    October 12, 2015 4:09 PM PDT

I'm still not for the free trial for the trolls. I'm also not feeling the "past hero" talk. I know I don't know the whole story yet on the mechanics, however a hero storyline is meant for single player games. I much prefer the commoner or rags to riches type of deal.

I'm also hoping no maps or mini maps... People run around now a days with their map open watching the dot on the map instead of learning the land and their way around.

Did I also mention I'm looking forward to both corpse runs and xp hits on death?

• 1434 posts
    October 13, 2015 1:22 AM PDT

Permitted the free trial players have some limitations to prevent disruption, I think the trial is brilliant. Pantheon will be the kind of game people will need to see to believe. Hopefully the essence of the game can really be felt in the first 10 levels.

Regarding the Insider's summit, I still don't think they really comprehended how Pantheon will be different. It seemed like they were jaded and thought all MMOs were destined to be short lived. Content with high risk and high reward that requires teamwork is exactly what modern MMOs are missing. There is such a difference in a game where your goals are easily achieved and one that is challenging, requiring not only personal skill, but the skill and assistance of others. Oh ya, and a bit of that magic ingredient: time. Go figure, when things are easier and require less time, people seem to play less.

This post was edited by Dullahan at October 13, 2015 11:27 AM PDT
    • 14 posts
    October 13, 2015 11:01 AM PDT
    Marilee said:

Getting around the "this game will be f2p in 6 mos. tops" crowd to find the cooperative play players will be an uphill battle, though.  There is such toxicity in some of the current games being played that I think many of the newer gamers might be too jaded to even try.  I think the free-to-play misnomer has done so much to hurt this genre that we, as a community, really have our work cut out for us in getting new people--the right new people--interested. 

Going F2P from subscription model initially was the mark of doom for a game - several years ago. "Fail! The game's so bad, they had to go F2P." Yet, every big MMO that's done that in the past few years has been rewarded with substantial increases in their player base, financial profits, and the decision has vindicated the dev teams because the choice seemed obvious in retrospect. The migration to F2P has even sparked nearly 11 million articles discussing, "Is the MMO Subscription Model Dead?" I don't see F2P as the deathknell it used to be and I think the "sting" of going F2P is rapidly dissolving.

The biggest challenge to F2P is the idea that they're all Pay 2 Win (P2W) and that cash shop items are either required to do content, or offer such amazing benefits compared to the experience free players enjoy that they're practically required. While I don't think F2Ps will ever truly distance themselves from the P2W idea that's deeply rooted in the gamer psyche (mainly becuase many Asian MMOs continue to follow the P2W model), I don't really think it has to. As long as the cash shops offer amazing costumes, mounts, mini pets, and items for housing, a game can be quite successful without ever offering gear with stats or potions that give major stat advantages. Most of the F2P games have also offered subscription services which provide nice bonuses for the players willing to pay. At that point, what's really the difference?

For clarification: I prefer a subscription model, probably becuase I'm old and just started in that model. However, I do have 18 MMOs installed on my computer at any given time and, of course, almost all of them are F2P in some form or another (some are box purchase with free play). As long as the game offers me a lot to do other than being in a hardcore raiding guild to see any endgame content, the subscription model doesn't impatc me. That said, a F2P generally earns more than $15/mo from me as there's fluff that's tempting to purchase.

As for subscription models, that $15/mo cost has been around for SO long. It just cannot be viable nowadays. Everything else in life costs far more now than 10-12 years ago and yet that's what we still pay in a subscription. Unfortunately, seeing a more legitimate $19.99/mo subscription cost would be a huge barrier to entry for many players and could singlehandedly prevent a game from being a success.

This post was edited by Organic at October 13, 2015 11:15 AM PDT
    • 18 posts
    October 14, 2015 12:47 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

Dear Pantheon Community,

We have managed to get our hands on a recording of the Gaming Insiders Summit that Brad McQuaid and Ben de la Durantaye attended a couple of weeks ago that you have all been asking for, we did not record this ourselves, but we were lucky enough to get a copy from an event organiser that did, so here it is!

https://soundcloud.com/xavdm/brad-mcquaid-and-visionary-realms-at-gaming-insiders-summit-2015

Fantastic! Thanks alot. May I ask if you know of any recordings from Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf, which is something I am even more insterested in.

• 9115 posts
    October 14, 2015 1:52 AM PDT
    Bonadew said:
    Kilsin said:

Dear Pantheon Community,

Fantastic! Thanks alot. May I ask if you know of any recordings from Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf, which is something I am even more insterested in.

You're welcome Bonadew and not that I am aware of sorry.

• 105 posts
    October 14, 2015 6:00 AM PDT
    Organic said:
    Marilee said:

Going F2P from subscription model initially was the mark of doom for a game - several years ago. "Fail! The game's so bad, they had to go F2P." Yet, every big MMO that's done that in the past few years has been rewarded with substantial increases in their player base, financial profits, and the decision has vindicated the dev teams because the choice seemed obvious in retrospect. The migration to F2P has even sparked nearly 11 million articles discussing, "Is the MMO Subscription Model Dead?" I don't see F2P as the deathknell it used to be and I think the "sting" of going F2P is rapidly dissolving.

The biggest challenge to F2P is the idea that they're all Pay 2 Win (P2W) and that cash shop items are either required to do content, or offer such amazing benefits compared to the experience free players enjoy that they're practically required. While I don't think F2Ps will ever truly distance themselves from the P2W idea that's deeply rooted in the gamer psyche (mainly becuase many Asian MMOs continue to follow the P2W model), I don't really think it has to. As long as the cash shops offer amazing costumes, mounts, mini pets, and items for housing, a game can be quite successful without ever offering gear with stats or potions that give major stat advantages. Most of the F2P games have also offered subscription services which provide nice bonuses for the players willing to pay. At that point, what's really the difference?

For clarification: I prefer a subscription model, probably becuase I'm old and just started in that model. However, I do have 18 MMOs installed on my computer at any given time and, of course, almost all of them are F2P in some form or another (some are box purchase with free play). As long as the game offers me a lot to do other than being in a hardcore raiding guild to see any endgame content, the subscription model doesn't impatc me. That said, a F2P generally earns more than $15/mo from me as there's fluff that's tempting to purchase.

As for subscription models, that $15/mo cost has been around for SO long. It just cannot be viable nowadays. Everything else in life costs far more now than 10-12 years ago and yet that's what we still pay in a subscription. Unfortunately, seeing a more legitimate $19.99/mo subscription cost would be a huge barrier to entry for many players and could singlehandedly prevent a game from being a success.

Free to play games are fine.  People who play ftp games are fine.  There are a number of ftp games already.  I choose not to play them because I find that I am not surrounded by people with gaming goals akin to my own.  I don't care for the community that those games foster.  It's not for me.

I come to these forums and I read posts that could have been written from my own mind.  I hear the devs talk about gameplay that I enjoy.  I feel that this game is going to bring back a strong sense of community and it makes me happy.  Instead of me, me me, I think there is a collective we.

And I disagree with you about the sub fee.  I think that there is a community ready and willing to pay for quality over quantity.  

• 85 posts
    October 14, 2015 6:13 AM PDT

Enough of this take my money!!!!!!!

• 47 posts
    October 14, 2015 8:45 AM PDT

Thanks Kilsin. Now I have something to do this evening. :)

This post was edited by Elmberry at October 14, 2015 5:08 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    October 14, 2015 5:00 PM PDT

I thought Joppa was supposed to go with Brad to this? It was originally advertised on Twitter the two would be going to this.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 14, 2015 5:01 PM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    October 14, 2015 7:35 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I thought Joppa was supposed to go with Brad to this? It was originally advertised on Twitter the two would be going to this.

Joppa couldn't make it last minute, Ben stepped in to help out with Gaming Insiders, and John with the Cloud conference.  There will be plenty of panels and other speaking opportunities in the future, however, and I look forward to Joppa being part of those.

• 85 posts
    October 18, 2015 9:12 AM PDT

This question came to mind... Some games really open up at higher levels. How would make pantheon literally open up at lower levels??  Make the player feel like.. "wow there is much to do now, what more if I keep on leveling up".

This post was edited by Azraell at October 18, 2015 9:13 AM PDT