Forums » The Dark Myr

Dark Myr

• 3251 posts
    October 6, 2015 9:15 PM PDT

Dark Myr ..finally get to fulfill a wish to play an underwater or possibly amphibious race.  I am remembering the sirens,  enchanters..not a playable race,  but could take control of you and make you attack your team.   Hoping there will be some elements like this to the Dark Myr. :)

• 5 posts
    October 7, 2015 8:45 AM PDT

My main character will definitely be a Dark Myr. I'm hoping we get some good racial traits, even ones that make us weaker on land, or in arid places. Having well thought out traits that make the race more challenging would be a dream come true.

• 109 posts
    October 7, 2015 5:04 PM PDT

I agree CX, It was very cool when a mob used skills that players had. Loved when mobs would charm a player. 

• 1691 posts
    October 7, 2015 7:19 PM PDT

I am leaning towards this too, but I am not sure how evil they are.

• 208 posts
    October 7, 2015 10:38 PM PDT
    Manouk said:

I am leaning towards this too, but I am not sure how evil they are.

I'm also leaning towards Dark Myr, and from what I gather from the lore, they hate everyone but I don't know if that necessarily makes them 'evil'. More than likely though they will be KOS to all other races.

• 424 posts
    October 8, 2015 3:09 PM PDT

For some strange reason I really like races/classes that have an underwater breathing ability. So I am leaning toward the Dark Myr too. :)  

And I JUST realized that when you mouse over the picture of the Dark Myr on their page, the pic changes. There's a land version and a water version. I have no idea how I missed that. :)  When they first released the concept are for them there was a version with legs and one with fins but I didn't know if they would actually change depending on where they were. I guess they will. :)

• 133 posts
    December 13, 2015 11:03 AM PST

Malsirian said:

For some strange reason I really like races/classes that have an underwater breathing ability. So I am leaning toward the Dark Myr too. :)  

And I JUST realized that when you mouse over the picture of the Dark Myr on their page, the pic changes. There's a land version and a water version. I have no idea how I missed that. :)  When they first released the concept are for them there was a version with legs and one with fins but I didn't know if they would actually change depending on where they were. I guess they will. :)

Woah I had missed that!

I really like the idea of an aquatic race, and will have at least one charater as a Dark Myr! My only fear is I'm not sure they'll play as rangers, my preferred class. I'd have to make a tough choice at that point, because I've ALWAYS wanted to have an aquatic race as my main!

• 71 posts
    February 13, 2016 7:32 AM PST

I dont know that they can breathe underwater anymore. Lore pretty much says that the godess gave her life/immortality to transform them one last time so they could breathe the air has the Terminus waters were poisonous!

With her people still in harm’s keep, Syronai rushed to help the Myr, concentrating her power to transform and adapt the bodies she had created long ago. Yet mysteriously her aid was kept at bay. Sickened with grief as she watched her people perishing, the brave goddess gambled on another, more perilous chance: leveraging the essence of her immortality to recreate the Myr anew, even giving them a lung by which to breath on land and legs with which to walk. In a brilliant moment of sacrifice, the miraculous exchange saved the Myr, transforming them forever. 

So, can they breathe underwater and on land isnt indicated. It is certain it seems that they no longer have fish tail.

• 31 posts
    March 15, 2016 7:08 PM PDT

Senadin said:

It is certain it seems that they no longer have fish tail.

I'm not sure on this one. The lore is a bit murky on the subject:

Many say the cries of anguish loosed that day still linger in the murky waters. The agony of losing Syronai poisoned the Myr hearts as had the deadly oceans, sorrow twisting into bitterness, then hate, until darkness consumed them. The Nythirian Red disappeared into the sea, searching for the means to return to true Myr form.

This passage is almost self-contradictory. If them wanting to return to 'true Myr form' implies that the newly-remade Myr lack a) a fishtail and b) perhaps the ability to breathe underwater, what the heck are the Nythirian Red doing swimming out to sea? Seems like a surefire way to get themselves killed. The only other explanation I can think of is that they view the transition between legs and fishtail as some sort of unwanted mutation and are hoping to do away with the former entirely.

Ultimately we'll have to see how it all pans out, but I certainly hope we as players will get to transition between the two based on our environment as the concept art implies. Hell, roll it in with the Nythirian Red story of trying to reattain that form and make it out to be some awesome questline to unlock the racial! 

This post was edited by AstralEcho at March 15, 2016 7:09 PM PDT
    • 3251 posts
    April 16, 2016 7:39 PM PDT

AstralEcho said:

Senadin said:

It is certain it seems that they no longer have fish tail.

I'm not sure on this one. The lore is a bit murky on the subject:

Many say the cries of anguish loosed that day still linger in the murky waters. The agony of losing Syronai poisoned the Myr hearts as had the deadly oceans, sorrow twisting into bitterness, then hate, until darkness consumed them. The Nythirian Red disappeared into the sea, searching for the means to return to true Myr form.

This passage is almost self-contradictory. If them wanting to return to 'true Myr form' implies that the newly-remade Myr lack a) a fishtail and b) perhaps the ability to breathe underwater, what the heck are the Nythirian Red doing swimming out to sea? Seems like a surefire way to get themselves killed. The only other explanation I can think of is that they view the transition between legs and fishtail as some sort of unwanted mutation and are hoping to do away with the former entirely.

Ultimately we'll have to see how it all pans out, but I certainly hope we as players will get to transition between the two based on our environment as the concept art implies. Hell, roll it in with the Nythirian Red story of trying to reattain that form and make it out to be some awesome questline to unlock the racial! 

Thought I saw mention some where of the Dark Myr being amphibious...or maybe it was my imagination..wishful thinking?      If indeed amphibious, then we could do both..underwater and walk on land when needed.

• 43 posts
    May 4, 2016 12:16 AM PDT
    Dark Myr Enchanter, here we go :)

I can't wait to get my hands on this game!
    • 43 posts
    May 4, 2016 1:04 AM PDT
    Can't seem to edit my previous post on the phone, but it would appear Dark Myr can't be enchanter.
    • 43 posts
    May 4, 2016 1:26 AM PDT
    Never mind, the wiki doesn't look up to date... Is there a way to consolidate the triple post?
    • 5 posts
    July 17, 2016 10:08 AM PDT

kinda excited about the look of the Dark Myr, but definitely would have to play a female char... not sure i'd enjoy playing a mer-man lol.

• 194 posts
    August 16, 2016 11:32 PM PDT

I'm looking at the Dark Myr race to play as well. kedge Keep in EQ 1 was my favorite place because of the underwater zone with sirens, sea horses along with the sharks and sword fish.

Yes the lore makes it sounds like they have lost their mermaid tail. We were discussing on the Voices of Terminus Show what would be a real cool epic quest line was to get your Dark Myr tail back and would be one of the fastest swimmers in Terminus.

I think they will rock to play and just have a cool lore back story to them.

• 4401 posts
    November 9, 2016 11:39 AM PST

I'm pretty surprised the forums are not more abuzz with chat and speculation about this race. They are so unique - Pantheon is the only game I know of that has a race even remotely similar to this. And the lore is extremely well-written and intriguing. I'm not sure I will play one myself. But I kinda thought the Dark Myr race would be more of a trademark or flagship of Pantheon.

• 619 posts
    November 29, 2016 4:50 PM PST

Accipitor said:

My main character will definitely be a Dark Myr. I'm hoping we get some good racial traits, even ones that make us weaker on land, or in arid places. Having well thought out traits that make the race more challenging would be a dream come true.

It would be tough for them to balance it though. On the one hand Underwater breathing will probably be possible with potions, spells, and gear, thus making your racial trait very easy to copy. On the other hand being able to make a character and possibly find underwater workarounds to several challenges, as well as not needing to spend space on the potion, gear, or spell, could be a serious advantage. 

Lots of the game will be above ground, so seeing some traits that allow them to be really good at coming to shore and stabbing the crap out of a god would make sense. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at November 29, 2016 4:50 PM PST
    • 4401 posts
    November 30, 2016 8:16 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

Accipitor said:

It would be tough for them to balance it though. On the one hand Underwater breathing will probably be possible with potions, spells, and gear, thus making your racial trait very easy to copy. On the other hand being able to make a character and possibly find underwater workarounds to several challenges, as well as not needing to spend space on the potion, gear, or spell, could be a serious advantage. 

Lots of the game will be above ground, so seeing some traits that allow them to be really good at coming to shore and stabbing the crap out of a god would make sense. 

The key is that underwater breathing potions, spells, etc. would not be readily accessible at level 1. It would also make sense for Dark Myr to inherently have increased swim speed and underwater visibility. I don't think it would be that hard to balance.

And who's to say that there won't be plenty of underwater content? If I remember correctly, (and this of course subject to change) the devs said the plan is that Dark Myr will have to go through some sort of quest progression proabably somewhere around lvl 10-20 in order to basically grow legs and come ashore. So there will have to be a good amount of underwater content. It's anybody's guess as to what % of the world will be land and what will be water. Sure, in most games the majority is land, but it could be anything in Pantheon. I would love to see extensive underwater zones! Most of the real world is underwater, most of which nobody's ever seen so who knows what amazing things are down there. Sounds fun to explore :) Sounds inconvenient if your friends are on land, but I'm guessing it'll kinda be like classic EQ where if you want to start new characters with a friend, they're pretty much gonna have to be the same race cause it's just too dangerous to travel far as a low lvl toon.

Anyway, all that in mind, it still does seem like the cons outweigh the pros a little. Definitely wouldn't be impossible to balance. I just can't think of any other examples right now.

• 619 posts
    November 30, 2016 1:12 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

The key is that underwater breathing potions, spells, etc. would not be readily accessible at level 1. It would also make sense for Dark Myr to inherently have increased swim speed and underwater visibility. I don't think it would be that hard to balance.

And who's to say that there won't be plenty of underwater content? If I remember correctly, (and this of course subject to change) the devs said the plan is that Dark Myr will have to go through some sort of quest progression proabably somewhere around lvl 10-20 in order to basically grow legs and come ashore. So there will have to be a good amount of underwater content. It's anybody's guess as to what % of the world will be land and what will be water. Sure, in most games the majority is land, but it could be anything in Pantheon. I would love to see extensive underwater zones! Most of the real world is underwater, most of which nobody's ever seen so who knows what amazing things are down there. Sounds fun to explore :) Sounds inconvenient if your friends are on land, but I'm guessing it'll kinda be like classic EQ where if you want to start new characters with a friend, they're pretty much gonna have to be the same race cause it's just too dangerous to travel far as a low lvl toon.

Anyway, all that in mind, it still does seem like the cons outweigh the pros a little. Definitely wouldn't be impossible to balance. I just can't think of any other examples right now.

Hey I didn't hear about the lvl 1-20 completely underwater thing. That could either mean you have more freedom then every race or everyone only wants 1 dark myr since you can't choose to level anywhere else.

But I digress, the idea is actually pretty awesome if they make it work, Especially if jumping off the boat somewhere in the ocean could actually yeild more than one rare spawn mob. 

• 49 posts
    December 13, 2016 2:28 PM PST

Leaning towards the Dark Myr also. I hope to be able to make a spooky looking mage class ;p

• 4401 posts
    December 15, 2016 3:54 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

Bazgrim said:

Hey I didn't hear about the lvl 1-20 completely underwater thing. That could either mean you have more freedom then every race or everyone only wants 1 dark myr since you can't choose to level anywhere else.

But I digress, the idea is actually pretty awesome if they make it work, Especially if jumping off the boat somewhere in the ocean could actually yeild more than one rare spawn mob. 

I may have it backwards - maybe you start off on land and then through questing gain the ability to switch back and forth between landwalker form and merfolk form at will. Either way, that was a while ago and they only said they were thinking about it. So we'll see. Regardless, having an entire playable race that is so tied to aquatics suggests to me that there will be a significant amount of underwater content. More than just one or two zones.

• 1162 posts
    December 19, 2016 7:55 PM PST

The idea of having to spend the early levels under water and then quest for an ability to shapeshift yourself some legs is pretty sweet.  I do believe the Dark Myr will start under water.  The lore is a bit confusing with the water being poisonous to them, but the way I read it, they have had time since then to either find a magical solution or just evolve.  Also, the FAQ states that they are an underwater race:

Will there be underwater zones?
    Yes. In fact, one of our playable races, the Dark Myr, is an underwater race. It is important to note here, however, that while the idea of exploring underwater areas and discovering ‘atlantean’ ruins is a compelling one, many implementations of underwater content and gameplay in other MMOs has left some gamers with a negative impression. We are confident that we can provide compelling and fun underwater zones as well as an interface and ability to move underwater that is not frustrating. Additionally, our goal of having underwater zones is not only to provide a different feel and atmosphere, but also to create areas where different tactics can come into play. Underwater exploration and combat is more of a 3D experience, since you can be attacked from any direction, including above you and below you. Some good examples of this are the Battle Room from the book and movie Ender’s Game and the combat in the nebula between Kirk and Khan in the original Star Trek 2 movie, where Kirk outsmarts Khan by attacking from above using his familiarity with 3d space to his advantage.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at December 19, 2016 7:56 PM PST
    • 4401 posts
    December 20, 2016 6:03 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

The idea of having to spend the early levels under water and then quest for an ability to shapeshift yourself some legs is pretty sweet.  I do believe the Dark Myr will start under water.  The lore is a bit confusing with the water being poisonous to them, but the way I read it, they have had time since then to either find a magical solution or just evolve.  Also, the FAQ states that they are an underwater race:

Will there be underwater zones?
    Yes. In fact, one of our playable races, the Dark Myr, is an underwater race. It is important to note here, however, that while the idea of exploring underwater areas and discovering ‘atlantean’ ruins is a compelling one, many implementations of underwater content and gameplay in other MMOs has left some gamers with a negative impression. We are confident that we can provide compelling and fun underwater zones as well as an interface and ability to move underwater that is not frustrating. Additionally, our goal of having underwater zones is not only to provide a different feel and atmosphere, but also to create areas where different tactics can come into play. Underwater exploration and combat is more of a 3D experience, since you can be attacked from any direction, including above you and below you. Some good examples of this are the Battle Room from the book and movie Ender’s Game and the combat in the nebula between Kirk and Khan in the original Star Trek 2 movie, where Kirk outsmarts Khan by attacking from above using his familiarity with 3d space to his advantage.

Ah okay then I did remember correctly. Thanks for finding this

• 18 posts
    December 23, 2016 11:02 AM PST

I never thought to ask this but, if one were to smile; might I expect so see a mouth chock full of jagged teeth?

It may seem like a minor detail, and while I never thought they'd be modified Murlocs or somesuch, but I envisioned something a bit more fierce. Just a tiny bit more. Something that did accent their aquatic origins a bit more than just being a blue elf or human.

A mere blue humanoid is not exactly what we have here, to be sure, and there are some nice fishy hints (I don't just mean the obvious switcheroo to water-faring form) but look further up to the face and... it's quite... tame? Apart from the baleful empty eyes.

Granted all we have seen of them as of the moment is that concept art, but will there be customization options to make them more like... well... sharky? :p

Something like... this Aumaua from Pillars of Eternity:

I am getting the feeling they are headed down the more "pretty" or siren-esque merfolk route though, as it is. That's okay, there's still Skar. Skar are awesome. Having a sleek but sinister mer-person complete with vicious grin would be quite something though.

This post was edited by ThreeBeastSmile at December 23, 2016 11:04 AM PST
    • 1162 posts
    December 23, 2016 11:54 AM PST

Great idea.  I'd love to see that happen.  They look like beautiful alien supermodels at first, but then they talk and they have a mouth full of needle teeth...like a sand tiger shark or something.  Teeth for catching fish.  Would be pretty cool.