Forums » The Dire Lord

DIRE lord??

• 707 posts
    September 25, 2015 9:43 PM PDT

Just pointing out the obvious that on the main page of the web site that this class is labeled dire lord.

• 87 posts
    September 26, 2015 12:37 AM PDT

Seeing that one can already guess thats clearly a DK with a fancy name. This does bring out a question about the classes. I see a Shamman, by the blessing of the Pantheon gods, does this mean there would be like a sub class under them?? Phoenix , Bear and Wolf anyone?? Or a cleric (war,peace, blah blah)??? If you look at the screen shot 19 of 19 War wizard??? Another sub class?? 

• 8791 posts
    September 26, 2015 8:23 AM PDT

The Dread Lord got a name change to Dire Lord ;)

• 643 posts
    September 26, 2015 8:33 AM PDT
    Azraell said:

Seeing that one can already guess thats clearly a DK with a fancy name. This does bring out a question about the classes. I see a Shamman, by the blessing of the Pantheon gods, does this mean there would be like a sub class under them?? Phoenix , Bear and Wolf anyone?? Or a cleric (war,peace, blah blah)??? If you look at the screen shot 19 of 19 War wizard??? Another sub class?? 

From a blog post from Brad the war wizard is an NPC who can help on certain quest...at least that is what was said months ago, and as we all know everything is subject to change

• 18 posts
    September 26, 2015 8:48 AM PDT

I hadn't looked into this class prior to this update, but the mention of blood manipulation in their flavour text now... hmm-hmmm~.  Oh yes, that sounds quite delicious; though too premature a reaction to a certain... allusion, mayhap.  Fufufu~.

• 202 posts
    September 26, 2015 10:16 AM PDT

A sub-class system like Azraell mentioned would be very cool for some classes. It added a ton of flavor and fun in Vanguard!

• 86 posts
    September 30, 2015 12:59 PM PDT

The War Wizard probably won't be playable, just going off the lore they seem to be pretty OP and I doubt anyone but GMs will be able to be them. More on topic though, I'm really hoping for a name change to the Dire Lord, Dread Lord or something would be a huge step up.

• 1828 posts
    September 30, 2015 1:10 PM PDT

I'm with HappyTrees  :)  Dread Lord would Rock !

• 18 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:55 PM PDT

IMHO, Dire lord would refer to using more dark magic infused in his attacks versus holy types of attacks. My main in eqlive(eq1), was a gnome shadowknight. I have hopes dire lord will be a tank, but I could be wrong. The setup of tanks looks to be relative to eq, where warrior is physical, and combos and other skills would be based on weapon arts. Crusader, reminds us of paladin. A hybrid warrior cleric, with useable magic to enhance thier dps, leaving warrior with the better skills as the ultimate defensie tank. Dire lord, I hope will be the shadowknight of Pantheon. Nothing like a gnome dire lord having the right stone as his charm, to enhance his abilities. I have a hunch, tho it is just my personal opinion, that warrior may be accessable to most if not all races, though it may only be avalable to a few. Crusader would have to be available to certain races depending on thier beliefs. I dont think crusader fits the gnome lore, if i recall. With the gnome lore, dire lord fits, and maybe.. just maybe you could find a niche for warrior in there, but as a race, I cant feel that any citizen woould simply be a warrior. Brightstone or Resivore, would be a staple to gnomes. I cant see the logic incorperatiing that into a dire lord, unless other playable races find access to this source of power. That being said, the class of Dire Lord, wouldnt incorperate that, it would be a gnomish trait perse'. Shadowknight was of course, a hybrid warrior/necromancer, which we have no necros here. I guess its possible that summoner may lend a hand into hybriding the dire lord, but we will have to see what they do. Of course, this is just assuming that dire lord is sortof opposite the crusader.

Whatever direction is taken, I hope they keep to tradition, and have warrior as main tank, dire lord and crusader being good additions to any group as offtank, or main tank, as we have in the past.

• 86 posts
    October 3, 2015 11:02 AM PDT

Dire Lord is definitely a Shadow Knight(probably can't call it that cause of some legal reason or something, maybe they just wanna differentiate the game from EQ idk.) I just think Dire Lord sounds a bit weird, though I get the idea. The word Dire means terrible and dreadful and that's what the aim would be with a SK type class.

• 258 posts
    October 8, 2015 9:51 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

Clearly this is a dire situation!

• 526 posts
    October 10, 2015 4:22 PM PDT

When SOE bought the game, they may have bought the rights to custom names of classes too, not sure but that could be one reason of it being Dire  vs Dread. 

And to Azraeli while we don't know what they are, or even how many each class will have, we were told that each class will have specializations. Now whether that is just being more healing focus vs tank focus (Crusader) or full fledged sub classes (Bear Shaman, Wolf Shaman, Phoenix Shaman etc) has not been said as far as I know.

• 76 posts
    November 19, 2015 9:23 PM PST

I've always been a fan of purely evil/purely good classes. Neutral classes have their places but never on my list, it seems to me to break faction and not in a good way.

Mixing class specialties as allowing tanks to heal or prists to tank always seemed 'wrong' to me.  Likely because EQ was my first Mmolrpg and the 'gold standard' of every game I've played since. A tank 'tanks'. A wizard is a glass cannon. A Shaman buffs. An Enchanter is CC. Rogue is great utility glass. Ect, Ect.

I hope the Dred/Dire Lord is a down and dirty EQ SK with not a nice bone in his/her little body. :)

• 122 posts
    February 10, 2016 9:52 PM PST

I might have missed something as I was studying the classes, but where does Dire Lord = Shadow Knight? My first thoughts were Necromancer. I noticed that Dire Lord is the only possible class for either Necro or SK. Is it possible that Dire Lord can be either a cloth wearer or a full on tank possibly depending?

I may have missed certain information so I apologize and would welcome insight.

• 119 posts
    February 11, 2016 6:12 AM PST

warlored said:

I might have missed something as I was studying the classes, but where does Dire Lord = Shadow Knight? My first thoughts were Necromancer. I noticed that Dire Lord is the only possible class for either Necro or SK. Is it possible that Dire Lord can be either a cloth wearer or a full on tank possibly depending?

I may have missed certain information so I apologize and would welcome insight.

Dire Lord is most certainly the SK of Pantheon, given past discussions on the old site and the name change from Dark Knight to Dire Lord (remember EQ Grave Lord). Also if you look at my forum avatar, thats the old class symbol for Dire Lords, dont see a necro waving that blade around lol.

Garmr

• 35 posts
    March 22, 2016 2:43 PM PDT
    I assumed this was the SK class
    • 352 posts
    April 10, 2016 10:59 PM PDT

I assume it's the DK/SK from VG/EQ. With some BM and necro powers.

This post was edited by Kazingathi at April 10, 2016 11:00 PM PDT
    • 108 posts
    April 11, 2016 8:58 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Old name was better.

That is all.

• 16 posts
    May 7, 2018 10:42 AM PDT

Psych! It's gonna be a necro beastlord.

j/k. Please don't do this.