Forums » The Summoner

Summoner and Colored Mana

• 353 posts
    August 25, 2015 10:57 PM PDT

the mana color system is a fairly grand scheme, and after the explanation from the roundtable i cant help but wonder what kind of abilities will come with what color of mana. personally here are my hopes.

Summoner Base -  Basic summoner starts with neutral attack magic and a range of pets running the gambit from elemental to undead and even holy pets. the pets themselves will have utility functions along with damage types. the summoner can summon 2 pets simultaneously but his initial mana pool's max value depletes by a % with each pet summoned, or possibly by a set amount based on level. the 2 pets cant be the same pet summoned twice.

Black mana - black mana would give the Summoner Necromancer-like abilities. such as the ability to feign death and summon corpses. or trade hp for mana kinda like lich.

white mana - white mana would give the summoner more mage-like abilities. such as the ability to summon players in your party from across the world to where you are. along with pet empowering buffs and summoned items with powerful effects.

so since i shared my summoner dream you share yours, or tell me why you dont like anything above, dont matter to me but discuss:)

• 655 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:48 AM PDT

My memories of raiding with mages in Velious era EQ are mostly of them as mod rod vending machines and CoH taxis.   They were largely kept out of group and didn't contribute to DPS in order to preserve faction.   They'd conjur up party favors for the necro pets mostly and otherwise have very little to do on raids.

My biggest wish for the summoner is that they truly be the ultimate pet class and are valued from birth to end game for their DPS.

Anything beyond that would be in my "nice to have" list.

The ability to summon up single use items with effects such as levitate or enduring breath would be on that longer list.   But I'm afraid to ask for too much of what the EQ mage could do as I'm hoping the devs are going to have their own ideas and some nice surprises for the summoners on Terminus. 

A game mechanic that I think would be interesting is if the summoner focused all of his offensive might through his pet.   Instead of simply having pet buff and heal spells and sending it in to the fray, have offensive spells which you cast on your pet, which are then augmented by the pet depending on it's type and level and redirected onto the pet's target.   Some could be simple DD type spells while others could be perhaps something like a lightning or electric arc which passes from the caster through the pet and amplified onto the mob.   I think this could provide lots of hooks into the new mana system and provide some interesting strategy and new mechanics for pet players.

This post was edited by Celandor at August 26, 2015 2:57 AM PDT
    • 353 posts
    August 26, 2015 6:15 AM PDT

First and most important ... please no COTH in Pantheon... seriously screw that spell...

I know this sounds a bit crazy but how about no permanent pets just temp pets that last for a couple minutes and fit a roll.

Need some dps ... throw out a rogue water pet at the mobs backside.

Need an offtank for a unexpected add .. how about that earth pet.

Healer is dead .. maybe air pet could throw some heals out while we try and get out of here.

Another thing I'd like to see is summoners be able to make situational items like resistance rings or a bright light source.

So in a lot of regards summoners would be a utility class with the possibility to focus in a few different areas depending on the situation.

Thanks for reading,

Kiz~

• 353 posts
    August 26, 2015 3:34 PM PDT

@kiz i agree no COTH spell that was largely useless... unless you wanted to park a mage in front of a raid mob so you dont have to clear to it. the party summoning i was thinking of isnt COTH as it would summon a party member from anywhere in the world, kinda like a Translocation spell but in the opposite direction.

• 123 posts
    August 28, 2015 4:13 AM PDT

Reading some of the posts had me thinking.  Assuming (because I can't recall specifically if it was mentioned) we have a limited number of spell slots, it'd be cool if:

1: sacreficing spell slots would make your pet stronger.

and/or

2: having a spell slot you can "infuse" into your pet, and the spell there would then be used by the pet.  To a lesser extent/ability obviously.

IIRC one of the main reasons pet casters weren't a first pick for damage was due to the pets being less controllable/predictable when it came to fearing and pathing etc.  Going with the idea mentioned above, I am thinking it'd be kind of cool if you dedicated enough of your spell icons to the pet that you could amp it up enough that it'd be fear-immune or something like that.  A raid boss that utilizes fear/confuse frequently, that has a pet beating on it constantly due to being immune would make the class more desirable in a raid.  ...that type of thing >.> 

(naturally this suggestion is mainly from the pve perspective, not a pvp)

• 40 posts
    October 6, 2015 4:20 PM PDT

Everquest 2's concept of swarm pets was spot on.... both the Conjuror and Necromancer swarm pets are great, please use that same idea..... and i agree CoTH is a bs spell that should never be put back in..... 

• 82 posts
    October 6, 2015 9:11 PM PDT

I am totally fine with no COTH even though I think it was a nice touch for bringing in party members who had trouble getting around in the game. I would have a tough time with a temporary pet or swarm type proc though. You might as well just give them a DoT instead as it will have the same effect. With the summoner looking to be the main pet class it would be pretty sad to see it stuck with a lesser version. You can do so much more with a permanent pet like sks/necros fear kiting, pulling, aggro kiting, guarding, getting buffed by other classes for long periods of time, and equipping weapons to increase damage. Permanent pets are super mana efficient if you can keep them alive.

I like to think of the permanent pets as traveling companions with some personality :D

• 41 posts
    March 13, 2016 3:33 PM PDT

Now that we've seen a quick hit at the colored mana from the recent stream, it will be interesting to see what options summoners have to them. With most of my experience coming from the EQ1 mage, I'm wondering if they'll follow a similar line of using elementals or if we'll have a wider variety of pets at our disposal. I can say I'd much rather prefer a permanent pet that lasts until killed rather than constant swarms (I liked the swarm capabilities EQ mages could add through AA skills though), but I can see the argument that as a summoner, the class should maybe be more attuned to continually summoning and conjuring up pets and skills and tricks that may differ as the fight ebbs and flows. 

I'm more interested now in finding out just how many different color mana streams there are, as I'm sure summoners will have a fairly limited list (maybe 1-2) of types of damage spells and then hopefully the rest of our power can be thrown towards our pet. I would truly prefer that we're developed into a true pet class where the pet is the main source of damage and we can just buff and complement the pet. But to get back on track to the main point about colored mana, it will be an interesting experience to see whether our additional skills using relics and colored mana will be more geared towards pet or spell enhancements or a healthy mix of both.

• 42 posts
    March 15, 2016 9:46 AM PDT

I cant say CoH was fun in eqoa but i liked the idea that if a friend was far and would have a hard time getting to you you could summon him to you and maybe get the grind started faster but both eq1 and eqoa mages had almost no raid relevance but the eqoa mage did have a bigger group attraction since the pets were in my opinion better made, saldly we couldnt add the weapons like eq1 but summoned mana potions sounds like an awsome idea for summoners in pantheon. All i would like is to give the summoners the reason to really be in raids that the pets combined with the summoner would have the dmg lil lower than a wizard and the ultility to be a needed class in a group/raid not just a guy that stays there to summon people to a raid and mages in my mind can be much more dynamic and even crucial in strategy if made right.... if i remember correctly there was a raid in eqoa that having mages was actually a plus, but it was only one raid area.

This post was edited by Servirus at March 15, 2016 10:48 AM PDT
    • 41 posts
    March 15, 2016 10:25 AM PDT
    I liked CotH solely for those group situations where you were deep in a zone or camp and needed to replace someone or pull someone back if you didn't have a rezzer in group. If something similar is implemented, I would prefer they keep the same idea from EQ that there are only certain zones/areas that it can be used.

Since pets seem to be generally frowned upon in most raids, I think more utility and some decent spell dps will be necessary for summoners to be viable in a raid setting if the class turns out similar to an EQ Mage. We simply didn't offer much in raids besides mod rods, CotH or mediocre dps and I'd definitely like to see us being useful in all raid settings.
    • 20 posts
    December 2, 2016 5:03 PM PST

Speaknoevil said: I liked CotH solely for those group situations where you were deep in a zone or camp and needed to replace someone or pull someone back if you didn't have a rezzer in group. If something similar is implemented, I would prefer they keep the same idea from EQ that there are only certain zones/areas that it can be used. Since pets seem to be generally frowned upon in most raids, I think more utility and some decent spell dps will be necessary for summoners to be viable in a raid setting if the class turns out similar to an EQ Mage. We simply didn't offer much in raids besides mod rods, CotH or mediocre dps and I'd definitely like to see us being useful in all raid settings.
    CotH spell in itself isnt bad spell, the people who use it to camp raid mobs and such are just doing what most want to do.. Greed leads to dark side ... loot locks and such i think are must keep ninjalooters  and such under thumb from start. But, back to subject i think summoner as with all classes needs be kept same on power scale as other classes not become as they are now OP and God forbid  we get mercs /shivers at thought... not needing anyone else from being OP. Basis of the game i think VR wanted is a Grouping joint effort game. Sayin this i think they will manage classes well and it may take time. I just glad early 2017 is so near YAY ALPHA is coming!!!!

• 41 posts
    December 3, 2016 9:34 AM PST

That's why there were restrictions on CotH such as needing a re-agent (pearls weren't super cheap way back when and before they implemented the AA that removed the reagent cost) and it was not allowed in indoors zones. The utility of CotH was excellent and I'm not why so many are against it, so long as the properly restrictions are in place. Don't allow it in indoor zones, dungeons, don't allow it in areas with a raid boss, or some other form that limits its abuse so content can't be skipped entirely.