Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Flavor text...

• 338 posts
    August 24, 2015 4:56 AM PDT

I love this ****...

I'd like flavor text anytime there is something to describe in the game world.

A lot of times in EQ1 you would enter a zone or a room and you would get a nice little piece of text describing the area.

"As you approach the lake you feel a cool breeze and the surf splashes mist into the air".

"You step foot into the ancient library and the smell of mold and dust are almost impenetrable".

"As the sun gives way to the moon the denizens of the night begin to slink out of their hiding holes in the search for a meal".

Not to mention the awesome text that was wrote for mobs like..

"You have ruined your lands you will not ruin mine"

Anyways what do you all think about this ? Does anyone else care about flavor text ?

Thanks for reading,

Kiz~

P.S. I think what I really like about this kind of stuff is that it helps round out what your other senses that can't be duplicated are sensing. It really helps my immersion factor.

This post was edited by Angrykiz at August 28, 2015 10:52 AM PDT
    • 62 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:19 AM PDT

Yes! I love this, and I definitely hope it's something Pantheon adds to the game!

I always liked in EQ1 how you could right click on a mob or NPC and it would say stuff like, "Deputy Budo regards you indifferently" or "Guard Xin`Zek looks at you and asks, 'what would you like your tombstone to say?'"

Love it, love it, love it!

• 557 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:45 AM PDT

Absofreakinlutely!   Yes yes and more yes.

Those are the little subtleties which made EQ come alive.   I'd accept half arsed graphics with rich descriptive text over the inverse.  EQ was never about the graphics.   Luclin, with it's fancy new character models, was the first point where I realized the game was departing from the original path which had appealed so much to me at launch.

• 89 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:51 AM PDT

Anything that helps me get drawn into the world and makes it feel real is a good thing.

• 595 posts
    August 24, 2015 9:37 AM PDT

Yup, I am 100% in on this too.  I don't know that it needs to be exactly the way it was done EQ but something similar would be nice (or combinations of mechanics to create a similar effect).  

• 384 posts
    August 24, 2015 11:49 AM PDT
    My initial reaction was - nah I don't want flavor text. I would rather that what I see around me convey those types of things.

I remember reading all those in EQ and loving it but I thought it was more a limitation of the technology at the time. Buuuuut I do like mob dialog and comments, and there are certainly senses that aren't able to be adequately addressed just through video. So, as long as it doesn't lead to the devs getting lazy about representing stuff graphically - bring on the flavor text!
  • August 24, 2015 12:04 PM PDT

"Little creature near my feet, me thinks you'll be good to eat!"   :)

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    August 24, 2015 3:15 PM PDT

Hrm.  Does a 3d world need flavor text?  Well, yes, if it added something the 3d world couldn't communicate to the player... oh oh... we're getting dangerously close to talking about our Perception System, and we're not ready to do that yet!  doh!

• 595 posts
    August 24, 2015 3:19 PM PDT
    Aradune said:

Hrm.  Does a 3d world need flavor text?  Well, yes, if it added something the 3d world couldn't communicate to the player... oh oh... we're getting dangerously close to talking about our Perception System, and we're not ready to do that yet!  doh!

GEEEEEEEEEZ Brad!!  Ruthless tease there...

• 384 posts
    August 24, 2015 7:19 PM PDT
    Aradune said:

Gah! The teases... the teases...  

• 311 posts
    August 24, 2015 7:44 PM PDT

I hear beans falling on the floor and it sounds nice, don't stop now!

This post was edited by Kazingathi at August 24, 2015 7:45 PM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    August 24, 2015 9:29 PM PDT

He will have me to reckon with if he keeps spilling!

Yes, the Perception system will revolutionize the way your class interacts with and learns from the game world - we'll let your imaginations dance with that for a little longer until it's time to reveal the system in its fullness.

This is one of many evolved systems to look forward to in Pantheon :)

• 557 posts
    August 24, 2015 11:56 PM PDT
    Joppa said:

More beans spilling in this thread than Ann Margaret's infamous scene in Tommy.

• August 25, 2015 6:27 AM PDT
    Aradune said:

Joppa said:

Yes, the Perception system will revolutionize the way your class interacts with and learns from the game world - we'll let your imaginations dance with that for a little longer until it's time to reveal the system in its fullness.

MORE!   *grabs a torch and pitchfork*  I WANT MORE!  ;)

• August 25, 2015 6:31 AM PDT
    Celandor said:
    Joppa said:

More beans spilling in this thread than Ann Margaret's infamous scene in Tommy.

I love gaming.  I love MMORPG's.  I am an IT nerd/geek.

But,  Ann Margaret frolicking in soup kicks the perception system to the curb!  :D

"MARGARET THATCHER NAKED ON A COLD DAY!  MARGARET THATCHER NAKED ON A COLD DAY!"

*edited for humor

This post was edited by BloodbeardBattlecaster at August 25, 2015 7:07 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    August 25, 2015 9:33 AM PDT
    Hopefully this will be something we hear about at the end of september.
    • 595 posts
    August 25, 2015 5:11 PM PDT
    Joppa said:

We need to get you and Monty back on stream Joppa!  It was much easier to induce some calculated bean spillage in that environment! ;)

In all seriousness, I'm super excited to hear more about this and many other mechanics in the coming weeks/months.  Thanks dudes.

• 211 posts
    August 25, 2015 8:43 PM PDT

Aradune said:

a bandit says, "I really hate rangers like you."