Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Nighttime in Terminus

• 9115 posts
    August 24, 2015 3:35 AM PDT

Oh man, what was that noise? I hope someone brought a torch!

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at August 24, 2015 7:35 PM PDT
    • 105 posts
    August 24, 2015 3:48 AM PDT

The night is dark and full of terrors!

That is quite a stunning screen cap.

• 9115 posts
    August 24, 2015 4:04 AM PDT
    Marilee said:

The night is dark and full of terrors!

That is quite a stunning screen cap.

I'm glad you like it Marilee! I edited the post to change the screenshot to a 1920x1080 PNG version if anyone wants to use it as a desktop wallpaper :)

• 62 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:22 AM PDT

Stunning! I love it. Makes me really want to hop on and check it out. Keep 'em coming! 

• 43 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:24 AM PDT

Now I finally get it as .png when I download it from here but image is still only 1917*948.

Very weird! :)

• 9115 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:37 AM PDT

I have uploaded all 3 screenshots as 1920x1080 PNG to our Facebook page, you can grab them here: http://on.fb.me/1KHiYQ8 :)

• 43 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:44 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

I have uploaded all 3 screenshots as 1920x1080 PNG to our Facebook page, you can grab them here: http://on.fb.me/1KHiYQ8 :)

The one on there is 960*474. But it is .PNG

I am starting to believe that my computer is messing with me. That it changes the images as I download them.

I'm using the 1917*948 as my desktop background. I'm very happy with it! :)

• August 24, 2015 6:03 AM PDT

Dark and Beautiful.   Nice lighting.

• 724 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:08 AM PDT

That image is quite dark. Is this the vision a human has at night? Will other races have better sight (infravision, ultravision)?

It was something I liked in EQ, because it gave light sources and items like summoned Heatstones or Coldstones value. And I have scary memories of playing my human paladin in East Karana, in the night, and a thunderstorm was coming down. Literally only saw the black sreen, with occasional lightning. And then heard the steps of a hill giant somewhere in the vicinity...

Having poor night vision could be frustrating at times, but still I liked the realism. Just hope there will be spells/items in game to help those night-blind  :)

• 557 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:34 AM PDT

Things can't go bump in the dark if there's no dark.

That looks amazing!

• 89 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:37 AM PDT

Very nice image, makes me want to run up there and die errr, I mean explore:)

• 9115 posts
    August 24, 2015 7:43 AM PDT
    Sarim said:

That image is quite dark. Is this the vision a human has at night? Will other races have better sight (infravision, ultravision)?

It was something I liked in EQ, because it gave light sources and items like summoned Heatstones or Coldstones value. And I have scary memories of playing my human paladin in East Karana, in the night, and a thunderstorm was coming down. Literally only saw the black sreen, with occasional lightning. And then heard the steps of a hill giant somewhere in the vicinity...

Having poor night vision could be frustrating at times, but still I liked the realism. Just hope there will be spells/items in game to help those night-blind  :)

This is our current internal setting, it is not the final product yet mate, we have a long way to go but it is juts showing off how darkness looks in game without any editing, just simple dark nighttime :)

Unfortunately, I can't give out any info on vision or spells yet but once the big update is released, I am sure we will be discussing a lot more topics in a lot more detail, so stay tuned!

• 1434 posts
    August 24, 2015 8:39 AM PDT

I like it. Its still way brighter than EQ as a race with no vision enhancement. Its time to bring back MMO worlds that actually raise your heartrate.

• 595 posts
    August 24, 2015 9:16 AM PDT

This is awesome.  I love how the ambient light reflects off the castle walls but in the shadows of the trees it's DARK.  Great stuff - can't wait for the update!

• 154 posts
    August 24, 2015 9:29 AM PDT

I will second what everyone else has said about the darkness and the quality it brings but I will also say I love the sky. The stars are beautiful with the hazy cloud hanging out on the left side, it makes it feel so alive!

• 366 posts
    August 24, 2015 11:04 AM PDT

Oh! I love how dark it is, it will make exploring at night so much more meaningful. I did make it my desktop picture (thank you for providing a good resolution) - it looks really nice :)

• 384 posts
    August 24, 2015 11:20 AM PDT
    Another great pic! Thanks! I suppose I *could* replace my current Pantheon wallpaper with a new one! :)
    • 174 posts
    August 24, 2015 3:27 PM PDT

Now that's what I call nighttime!

• 64 posts
    August 24, 2015 4:05 PM PDT

I spy a deer near the bottom left.

• 595 posts
    August 24, 2015 4:14 PM PDT
    Heebs said:

I spy a deer near the bottom left.

I spotted that little critter when I zoomed in also.  My initial thought was it was a wolf since we saw one in an earlier image of this area but you could very well be right (its too dark on my monitor to tell for sure).  I'm quit interested in the little camp between the two rises on the left.  I would love to see some old witches brewing up a concoction to lure unwitting travelers.  Or maybe even a camp of brigands drinking and enjoying the fruits of their spoils.

This post was edited by Nikademis at August 24, 2015 4:37 PM PDT
    • 105 posts
    August 24, 2015 4:26 PM PDT

I love the screenshot.

I started EQ at launch in Erudin. It got dark, we'd frequently cling to the walls or beach or somewhere that would let us know where we were. Then you'd venture out to hunt and head back to get your bearings again. As a newbie, if you wandered into he forest without care you would get lost and killed and you would have a lost corpse. It was intense. Later when I got spells to enhance my vision it was huge. Now I could wander South Karana, I could actually see things coming at night. It really helped to see a giant coming. Of course when it rained it cut down on what you could see.

I understand why recent games don't use night time and visibility in the same way, and in fact I'd understand if Pantheon didn't. But I still think something was lost when games changed. Even in Project 1999 I can see way better than I ever could in EQ at launch.

This post was edited by Kayd at August 24, 2015 4:37 PM PDT
    • 595 posts
    August 24, 2015 4:32 PM PDT
    Kayd said:

I love the screenshot.

I started EQ at launch in Erudin. It got dark, we'd frequently cling to the walls or beach or somewhere that would let us know where we were. Then you'd venture out to hunt and head back to get your bearings again. As a newbie, if you wandered into he forest without care you would get lost and killed and you would have a lost corpse. It was intense. Later when I got spells to enhance my vision it was huge. Now I could wander South Karana, I could actually see things coming at night. It really helped to see a giant coming. Of course when it rained it cut down on what you could see.

I understand why recent games don't use night time and visibility in the same way, and in fact I'd understand if Pantheon didn't. But I still think something was lost when games changed. Even in Project 1999 I can see way better than I ever could in EQ at launch.

Yup, I'm ready for the sense of danger, peril and excitement to return to the MMO.  I want to have "oh SH*T" moments when I don't know where I am or what's making that creepy noise.  On occasion we're gonna end up somewhere we shouldn't be and we're gonna die (maybe even lose a corpse) and it's gonna suck.  But in the long run, wow will it increase our fun/immersion/excitement!

• 2138 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:22 PM PDT

Thank goodness, light! Perhaps there are some shops yet open to empty my packs, or maybe also an inn. If like-minded strangers are there, we can venture outward from here with them, again, to this cave I found. Something shone form the inside, but the thing- I could not see it- was powerful and wounded me badly. I had to run away as best as this limp would carry me. It did not pursue. It must have been angry at my presence, or perhaps, lashing out in fear from misunderstanding and as I must sadly admit, I reacted in kind. My spell did more in horror of its aftermath than I anticipated for I surmised that it's wound- like mine- was dire but not fatal.

• 595 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:31 PM PDT
    Manouk said:

Thank goodness, light! Perhaps there are some shops yet open to empty my packs, or maybe also an inn. If like-minded strangers are there, we can venture outward from here with them, again, to this cave I found. Something shone form the inside, but the thing- I could not see it- was powerful and wounded me badly. I had to run away as best as this limp would carry me. It did not pursue. It must have been angry at my presence, or perhaps, lashing out in fear from misunderstanding and as I must sadly admit, I reacted in kind. My spell did more in horror of its aftermath than I anticipated for I surmised that it's wound- like mine- was dire but not fatal.

Brilliant!

Though may I just say, I hope for your sake those which you approach are of a friendly disposition lest you become another casualty of the night... Out of the frying pan and into the fire, as it were.