Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Diminishing Returns

• 3016 posts
    August 20, 2015 6:22 PM PDT

By that I mean...in a fight (pvp if that is going to happen)  example: Dark Age of Camelot, or LOTRO...where the opposing force could keep slowing and stunning you to the point, that you might as well walk away from the computer.

Diminishing returns where if hit by a spell or a stun, only the first stun would have full effect,  second stun ..weaker..like that.

Is there any consideration towards this,  or none of that will apply,  because Pantheon has its own way of doing things?  (still not aware if there will be rule-set servers, and pvp, thought I'd ask anyway.)  Remember I am not talking about pve, here.

Cana

• 9115 posts
    August 20, 2015 10:48 PM PDT

We haven't really got into those finer details just yet Cana, we are definitely interested in putting a PvP server up and customising it to be a great experience for PvP players but we don't have any details to talk about just yet, this would be a good topic to start back up after the next big update when we may have some more info on classes etc.

• 384 posts
    August 21, 2015 6:08 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

We haven't really got into those finer details just yet Cana, we are definitely interested in putting a PvP server up and customising it to be a great experience for PvP players but we don't have any details to talk about just yet, this would be a good topic to start back up after the next big update when we may have some more info on classes etc.

Whoa. I didn't know a pvp server was even being discussed at this point. While I'm not certain I'd play on it, I I might, it's good that it's on y'all's radar.
    • 160 posts
    August 21, 2015 7:28 AM PDT

It's already a complex task to make a good PvE MMO game. Balancing it for PvP at the same time might be too much to expect at the start.

I will be happy enough if it's good PvE, with very basic PvP like duels and arenas, and they can bring more and better balanced PvP into the game later.

If they try to do too many things at the same time, they might end up not doing any one of them well enough.

• 81 posts
    August 21, 2015 7:37 AM PDT
    Aethor said:

It's already a complex task to make a good PvE MMO game. Balancing it for PvP at the same time might be too much to expect at the start.

I will be happy enough if it's good PvE, with very basic PvP like duels and arenas, and they can bring more and better balanced PvP into the game later.

If they try to do too many things at the same time, they might end up not doing any one of them well enough.

Yep!

• August 21, 2015 8:26 AM PDT

The way I understood the PVP thinking is that it would be a special ruleset server, just like the Role Play server.  Also, the PVE game would be created and the special ruleset servers would come after launch.  I have been wrong before... :)

• 595 posts
    August 21, 2015 9:24 AM PDT
    Aethor said:

Agreed.  It's like the saying goes, "if you have 3 quarterbacks you don't have 1".

• 1778 posts
    August 21, 2015 9:47 AM PDT
    Hmm. Didnt see this coming. But its not unwelcome. As for balance issues? Piss on that just ballance the pve and pvp the same. I like the ballance through unballance approach. In other words a tank is a tank and a healer is a healer etc etc. Simply put its a group based game and if a dpsgets CC to death...... should of brought your CC buddy. Not every class needs to be able to survive a solo fight. And some fights should be like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Thats my opinion t least.

Also this is interesting to me. Im traditionally a PVE guy but I can do PvP as well. But which server I would choose will depend on how the devs implement the open world. I think a pve world should be more cooperative than competitive. That being said Im not against some contested things. What I dont really want is everything being contested. Lets get some trigered spawns and quest spawned NMs. Or there better be a **** ton of boss mobs to camp. This to me is less about loot and more about being able to battle epic things and the challenge to kill them (hey loot doesnt hurt either). Im not content to kill regular mobs only or craft or play the markets. I need to feel the dragons fire scorch my eyebrows.

Taking all that into account, if it is mostly or all contested mobs. Ill choose the PvP server. Because at that point Id rather do PvEvP and get some action. Then PvE and get none. Just depends on how large or diverse endgame activities are in terms of access. Just my 2 cents but really interesting, thanks for sharing Kilsin
    • 557 posts
    August 21, 2015 10:05 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

Wow, this next update just keeps looking better and better.   "more info on classes, etc...."    Way more than I was expecting.  

I'm also encouraged by the team's determination to stick to core tasks no matter how much we coerce you to add our infinitely long list of "must haves".

It really pays to have some seasoned veterans at the helm, no matter how banged up, bruised and unattractive they may be.

• 453 posts
    August 22, 2015 7:01 AM PDT

Good post Cana. Another option I think would be possibly as good is if they had a countering system that each time a mob used certain abilities your character would become more and more aware of that mob's fighting abilities. Each time they used those abilities you would have a greater and greater chance of seeing them coming and identifying them. In turn perhaps you could have various "countering" abilities that would light up which you could use. Maybe some of those abilities could deflect the ability, some could reduce its effect, some could channel the energy into a beneficial buff or heal for the group, etc. etc.

VG had a similar system to what I am mentioning but I think they could improve upon it greatly. 

• 9115 posts
    August 22, 2015 8:58 PM PDT
    Aethor said:

Pantheon is a PVE game first and foremost and if we get enough interest in PvP, we will do our best to make a PvP server as enjoyable and fun as possible for the PvP crowd, neither playstyle will have an effect on each other, so you guys can rest easy ;)

• 311 posts
    August 23, 2015 12:52 AM PDT

I would rather have diplo before a pvp server. 8b

• 85 posts
    August 23, 2015 5:32 PM PDT
    Kazingathi said:

I'm the opposite.  Diplo is cool, but PvP is cooler.  And more fun.  :)

To keep things clean, I do think PvP should be on its own server.  And don't do anything too crazy.  Basically, just turn on PvP for that server, make it so we're not doing pve damage to players (some kind of mechanic like VG had, but better thought out?), but please don't balance the classes for PvP. I believe every class should have a foil or two.  Also, this is a group game - and PvP groups do their own balancing.

This post was edited by Sylee at August 23, 2015 5:34 PM PDT
    • 578 posts
    August 23, 2015 8:54 PM PDT
    Sylee said:
    Kazingathi said:

I'm the opposite.  Diplo is cool, but PvP is cooler.  And more fun.  :)

To keep things clean, I do think PvP should be on its own server.  And don't do anything too crazy.  Basically, just turn on PvP for that server, make it so we're not doing pve damage to players (some kind of mechanic like VG had, but better thought out?), but please don't balance the classes for PvP. I believe every class should have a foil or two.  Also, this is a group game - and PvP groups do their own balancing.

DIPLO PVP!!!! ;-D

• 1434 posts
    August 23, 2015 9:22 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    Aethor said:

Pantheon is a PVE game first and foremost and if we get enough interest in PvP, we will do our best to make a PvP server as enjoyable and fun as possible for the PvP crowd, neither playstyle will have an effect on each other, so you guys can rest easy ;)

That's the way it should be, because in my experience, a strong PvE foundation is essential for any PvP MMO. I've tried just about every MMO created for PvP and there was never anything worth achieving or fighting over to make the game worth playing long term. To this day, I still look back on early EQ PvP and fighting over contested content as my most enjoyable pvp mmo experience.

• 1778 posts
    August 24, 2015 8:51 AM PDT
    Right there with you Dullahan. PvEvP is the way its done. PvP only becomes a meaningless zerg. I hope some of these other PvP indies like Camelot Unchained do well but cant help but think they will die a quick death without meaningful content to keep people interested. Did have some good times in Lineage doing PvEvP.