Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

If you can see it you can go there

• 378 posts
    July 27, 2015 11:39 PM PDT

That was a bit of a motto in Vanguard ( might have got the wording wrong but you get the point ), with flying mounts being part of the concept it made perfect sense that if you could see a place in the sky or top of a mountain you could go there and see it.

This was one of my favorite things in Vanguard knowing once i had that flying mount i was going to come back and perch on that 200 foot cliff and take a screen shot to show off :)

Would you like to see that again in Pantheon 

• 158 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:17 AM PDT

I feel like this is already out as (if i'm not wrong) pantheon currently is being made with zones similar to everquest (I guess, I don't exactly know how everquest zones were but I assume its the same model as ffxi where each zone is its own area).

Personally I don't feel like this is something that I need, and I actually feel like flight in mmos tends to be more negative than positive (experience with flight however is limited to world of warcraft, final fantasy 14, and some other lower quality mmos so I don't know if it was done better in everquest or vanguard).

• 453 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:28 AM PDT
    Zandil said:

That was a bit of a motto in Vanguard ( might have got the wording wrong but you get the point ), with flying mounts being part of the concept it made perfect sense that if you could see a place in the sky or top of a mountain you could go there and see it.

This was one of my favorite things in Vanguard knowing once i had that flying mount i was going to come back and perch on that 200 foot cliff and take a screen shot to show off :)

Would you like to see that again in Pantheon 

100% /agree

• 378 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:30 AM PDT
    Wow had flight added as a xpac, it was never designed for it, vanguard was, flying in vanguard was epic to say the least.
    • 9115 posts
    July 28, 2015 4:02 AM PDT

We have stated that we will be doing zones, but that doesn't mean that you can't go where you want within those zones, you will just have to wait and see how we have addressed this in Pantheon ;)

I loved that you could reach anywhere you wanted in VG, it gave us so much freedom and made the world feel so much bigger without invisible walls and barriers artificially restricting us from reaching places we could see :) 

• 409 posts
    July 28, 2015 5:50 AM PDT

Resident Anarchy Online fanboi weighing in - AO had both zones and flying mounts. Each zone was essentially a cube and the zone lines were actually delineated on the maps and when you got near them it was a small area that had a shimmer effect in a circle at whatever your z-axis was. Even with their "interesting" netcode, they made flight and zones work, so it honestly can't be that hard. One great thing about their flight was on Rubi Ka (original land area) you could even fly in the cities, just not dungeons/instances.

Just saying...lots and lots of good MMO design going on in AO.

• July 28, 2015 6:26 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

We have stated that we will be doing zones, but that doesn't mean that you can't go where you want within those zones, you will just have to wait and see how we have addressed this in Pantheon ;)

I have no worries.  If the zones are big enough, it will seem as though one can go anywhere one can see.

• 1434 posts
    July 28, 2015 6:18 PM PDT

Having tried to play FF14 recently, I can tell you theres few things worse than hitting an invisible wall that prevents you from going somewhere you can see. In fact, the first thing I tried to do in FF was jump off the ledge when you enter the first town into the pond beneath the starter Inn. Couldn't do it. Was annoyed. That happened about 100 times over the course of the next week before I uninstalled. Not saying that specifically was the reason I stopped playing, but it was that kind of thinking that made the game unpalatable for me.

• 17 posts
    July 30, 2015 8:53 PM PDT

I loved exploring in VG.. I have that "OOoo what does this button do, where does that path go?" mentality lol. Even before we all got our griffins (back when very few people knew how to get you through that flying race lol.. Bless Summadarius and Matopix for getting us through it lol) and later our pota mounts we found ways to get where we shouldn't have been able to go.

• 67 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:10 PM PDT

I felt, for VG  in particular, flight made the world feel more beautiful and it was something that was pretty essential if you didn't want to spend all day on horseback.  WITH THAT SAID, before flying mounts could be earned, and before you were max level, the game was great on the ground, and earning your shadowhound/unicorn was just as rewarding as an griffon in my opinion.  The 5 min flying mount you could buy from the vendor was plenty sufficient for traveling.

I would really like it if I felt as free in this game as I did in VG, flying mount or no;if i can scale those mountains, shimmy my way along a cliff or building, and generally find my ways to things not thought possible, I will be most satisfied.