Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Aspect ratio limits?

• 17 posts
    July 5, 2015 3:54 PM PDT

Question!

Will Pantheon support 21:9 aspect ratio??

• 9115 posts
    July 5, 2015 4:29 PM PDT

I am not sure, I will run it by the  team and try to find out for you, Sionix :)

• 9115 posts
    July 5, 2015 4:54 PM PDT

Ok, I spoke to our Technical Director & Lead Programmer (and fellow Aussie!) Dan and he said we will have 21:9 support for Pantheon, so that is great  news :)

• 17 posts
    July 6, 2015 7:58 PM PDT

Woohoo!! We just got a 21:9 monitor :)

• 9115 posts
    July 7, 2015 12:02 AM PDT
    Sionix said:

Woohoo!! We just got a 21:9 monitor :)

Nice! I have been thinking of getting one myself, but I already have 2x 24" so am torn between getting a new fancy 27" as my middle monitor and having the 2x 24's on the sides or putting a 21:9 smack in the middle but my only problem is desk space with a TV on the same desk too!

Talk about first world problems! lol

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at July 7, 2015 4:24 PM PDT
    • 87 posts
    July 7, 2015 7:05 AM PDT

gonna need a bigger desk...

• 17 posts
    July 7, 2015 10:32 AM PDT

Oh we got the bigger desk :) Now to spring for a second monitor so we both have one :) Best buy had a good deal on the 21:9 they have there..

• 2138 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:42 PM PDT

Any possible idea as to system requirements/optimum requirements yet? I hope I am not being hasty. TBH my PC upgrades would usually coorespond with the needs of the  latest expansion. I like to puzzle out a build that will last 5-7 years with top or close to top end items and budget accordingly, allowing for the small upgrades along the way, or the one major upgrade ( like video card).

• 9115 posts
    July 10, 2015 6:14 PM PDT
    Manouk said:

Any possible idea as to system requirements/optimum requirements yet? I hope I am not being hasty. TBH my PC upgrades would usually coorespond with the needs of the  latest expansion. I like to puzzle out a build that will last 5-7 years with top or close to top end items and budget accordingly, allowing for the small upgrades along the way, or the one major upgrade ( like video card).

Not yet sorry Manouk, it is too early to try and release that info without the game being fully ready but I can say that Brad was running the game very easily on a mid-range machine for some time and we do optimisation sweeps at the end of each month to make sure performance is smooth and balanced.

This is a tough one though as a number of things can affect performance but once we get into Beta we will most likely have some min/preferred system specs for you all when we can stress test and know how many players our servers can handle and how much we can push them.

• 30 posts
    July 12, 2015 6:50 AM PDT

Will it run in 4K resolution? I recently got myself a 4K monitor and a couple of nice graphics cards to drive it :)

GTAV looks *real* nice, can't wait to see what you can do with Pantheon in this resolution :D

• 9115 posts
    July 12, 2015 7:12 AM PDT
    Caesium said:

Will it run in 4K resolution? I recently got myself a 4K monitor and a couple of nice graphics cards to drive it :)

GTAV looks *real* nice, can't wait to see what you can do with Pantheon in this resolution :D

You can run nearly anything in 4K but MMORPGs are typically hard to optimise for 4K, especially since you will need not just a top of the line GPU but usually multiple top of the line GPUs in SLI or Crossfire and even then, still get a big drop in FPS.

If you have the hardware and the 4K monitor(s) by all means go for it, I would love to see some screenshots when you can get into play and take some! :)

Until then, we will have to look at recommended specs and support for resolutions like that closer to Alpha/Beta where we will be able to stress test and push the limits to see what we can and can't do in Unity 5.

• 279 posts
    May 15, 2016 10:15 PM PDT

This is great news :)

• 184 posts
    May 16, 2016 8:29 AM PDT

It’s good to hear that this will be supported especially considering how many games support it already :) I have been utilizing this monitor for the last year and it rocks for gaming: LG 34" Class 21:9 UltraWide® WFHD IPS LED Gaming Monitor (34" Diagonal) http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM57-P-ultrawide-led-monitor The best feature so far has been FreeSync as it removes all graphics tearing… These monitors definitely make you feel immersive in whatever gaming you are playing as long as its paired with surround sound :)

For anyone interested two YouTube videos demonstrating this monitor in 21:9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj3zT7VTPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tfR09tXVeI 

This post was edited by Rint at May 16, 2016 8:46 AM PDT
    • 613 posts
    May 16, 2016 12:01 PM PDT

Yeah I have been looking at these for some time.  I play on a 30 inch now but these are nice.   I think the ratio support is a good thing.  It will be a fun to play this game on one of these for sure!

Ox

• 363 posts
    May 17, 2016 2:27 PM PDT

Keiiek said:

gonna need a bigger desk...

Ha Ha!

Now, to go see if Quinn has any new monitors on sale...

This post was edited by Anistosoles at May 17, 2016 2:28 PM PDT
    • 844 posts
    May 17, 2016 3:05 PM PDT

I would expect the Unity engine to be able to deliver any format/Aspect ratio.

• 613 posts
    May 23, 2016 10:52 AM PDT

I was reading about these and watching some YouTube content and there were few things I noticed.  It’s looking like this aspect ratio is going to be better or for wider acceptance than 4k monitors. There are functional differences that would turn me off of 4k right away. The cost is another issue too.   We have Dev’s here that are using duals and it is an impressive display to say the least but I do wish these were taller and wider. Maybe they will be available once these have been on the market a while.

Very cool monitor though

Ox

• 844 posts
    May 23, 2016 1:55 PM PDT

4K will be the new standard over HD, 21:9 will not.

Prices on 4K monitors are dropping fast and pc video cards are catching up.

• 279 posts
    May 23, 2016 4:42 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

4K will be the new standard over HD, 21:9 will not.

Prices on 4K monitors are dropping fast and pc video cards are catching up.

I've read quite a few testimonials of people who say 4k is nice but doesn't compare to the 21:9 experience. It will take longer to catch on for sure though.

• 844 posts
    May 24, 2016 12:04 PM PDT

I expect the entertainment industry will still largely drive the dimensions of standardized monitors, ie 16:9. Into 4K and 8K.

But if you want to say a new gaming desktop standard is arising I guess that is ok.