Forums » The Shaman

The essence of the Shaman

• 73 posts
    June 17, 2015 2:40 PM PDT
    It seems the Everquest shaman drew inspiration from all types of shamans in the real world. I can't help but relate the wolf pet and bear form to Native American culture, and alchemy to the herbalism of the Far East.

One of my favorite parts of this epic class is its survivalist nature. I hope that some of the unique aspects of this class can be drawn from EQ and can make it into pantheon.

Perhaps the addition of foraging for wild mushrooms, rare but powerfio ginseng-like roots, animal parts that can be transformed into special potions that imbue the user with unique powers (rhino horn, bile, bone, skin) etc can help to make this class stand out from other traditional healers and breathe life into it.

I also think the difference between Druid and shaman should be stark. Although they share common qualities I feel that shamans should be more "dogmatic" relying in ritualistic healing, plants, and spirit for there powers rather than "Mother Earth". Again, I feel EQ did this quite well.

Just my two cents

• 40 posts
    June 17, 2015 4:09 PM PDT
    Valith said:
    It seems the Everquest shaman drew inspiration from all types of shamans in the real world. I can't help but relate the wolf pet and bear form to Native American culture, and alchemy to the herbalism of the Far East. One of my favorite parts of this epic class is its survivalist nature. I hope that some of the unique aspects of this class can be drawn from EQ and can make it into pantheon. Perhaps the addition of foraging for wild mushrooms, rare but powerfio ginseng-like roots, animal parts that can be transformed into special potions that imbue the user with unique powers (rhino horn, bile, bone, skin) etc can help to make this class stand out from other traditional healers and breathe life into it. I also think the difference between Druid and shaman should be stark. Although they share common qualities I feel that shamans should be more "dogmatic" relying in ritualistic healing, plants, and spirit for there powers rather than "Mother Earth". Again, I feel EQ did this quite well. Just my two cents

I really like the spirit of your idea here (har har), but seriously, I totally like that vibe. I would even love to see Shaman have a sort of channeled, trance like state of communing with the spirits for healing and increasing party damage. Some cultures Shaman also use music (along with your aforementioned herbs) to focus their powers, so maybe a musical build could be had, or worked into the class somehow. 

• 73 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:26 PM PDT
    Its funny that you mention it, I was thinking of the musical component as well but not sure how that would play out being that there are bards involved. Might be a cool way to get some drum circles going though!
    • 95 posts
    July 23, 2015 5:39 PM PDT

I found one of my most enjoyable AA's was turning into a bear and being able to go beyond the casting ability's.  I think it would be cool if we learned or discovered different forms that allowed us to may enhance certain ability's.

Example- bear form increase melee attack speed offer x y z ability.

Wolve form offers a movement increase and so on..

• 353 posts
    September 20, 2015 2:50 PM PDT

I think that the shaman was best done in VG. you had a patron that gave you specific powers and abilities. but you also had common abilities. i would love to see a more VG-like shaman rather than an eq-like shaman. i loved the thought that healing on a shaman was different from healing on a cleric or BM. but the Essence of the Shaman as i see it is Healer.

shaman should first and foremost be able to heal, just as well as any other healer. secondly it should be able to debuff well. pets and anything else would be tertiary.

• 707 posts
    September 20, 2015 8:16 PM PDT
    Medawky said:

Some cultures Shaman also use music (along with your aforementioned herbs) to focus their powers, so maybe a musical build could be had, or worked into the class somehow. 

Having musical instruments affect the shaman the same as they have bards in EQ and VG would be great. There's a problem with only the bard benefiting from items with musical modifiers. Only ONE class can benefit obtaining these items and if you have a raid boss who is only worth fighting because he drops one of these items but not really worth fighting for any other items it tends to become a chore when your raid force has to travel to him for only a handful of players, especially when he doesn't even drop the item every time and/or it takes the raid some time to get to him.

Having TWO classes benefit from these types of items would go a long way.

• 2314 posts
    November 26, 2015 1:04 PM PST

NoobieDoo said:

Only ONE class can benefit obtaining these items and if you have a raid boss who is only worth fighting because he drops one of these items but not really worth fighting for any other items it tends to become a chore when your raid force has to travel to him for only a handful of players, especially when he doesn't even drop the item every time and/or it takes the raid some time to get to him.

Everquest1 was littered with examples such as this.  X raidzone/boss dropped items for the holy trinity while Y raidzone/boss dropped stuff for support classes.  X was raided far more often than Y.  Hate vs Fear, Nagafen vs Vox, etc.  Every expansion suffered from this.  I hope that such mistakes will not be repeated.

• 21 posts
    March 16, 2016 4:43 PM PDT

Will pay 5g for SOW buff!

• 73 posts
    September 11, 2016 9:10 AM PDT

Xanier said:

I found one of my most enjoyable AA's was turning into a bear and being able to go beyond the casting ability's.  I think it would be cool if we learned or discovered different forms that allowed us to may enhance certain ability's.

I agree i always enjoyed bear form. I wonder what the developers think about shapeshifting for the shaman, perhaps allowing the shaman to be tanky etc, increased melee speeds etc. maybe even the totems could contribute to these effects?

This post was edited by Valith at September 11, 2016 9:10 AM PDT
    • 2314 posts
    September 12, 2016 5:37 PM PDT

Valith said:

Xanier said:

I agree i always enjoyed bear form. I wonder what the developers think about shapeshifting for the shaman, perhaps allowing the shaman to be tanky etc, increased melee speeds etc. maybe even the totems could contribute to these effects?

I would completely wish to avoid getting too far outside the core role of the class even with shapeshifting possibly, perhaps, maybe, altering our abilities.  Getting tanky?  Heck no.  The last thing we need as a class is to be seen as too overpowered and if root/snare and DoTs prove to be even as close to as good as EQ1, the Shaman will already be one of the more powerful classes in the game.  We don't need 'tanky' on top of it.

• 320 posts
    September 14, 2016 7:43 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

I would completely wish to avoid getting too far outside the core role of the class even with shapeshifting possibly, perhaps, maybe, altering our abilities.  Getting tanky?  Heck no.  The last thing we need as a class is to be seen as too overpowered and if root/snare and DoTs prove to be even as close to as good as EQ1, the Shaman will already be one of the more powerful classes in the game.  We don't need 'tanky' on top of it.

I agree, especially about the wolf transformation, that's for druids/rangers/[chanters maybe] imo. If we were to have something such as the bear form I would think it should be a small amount of hp bonus, but no AC. Regardless of all of that, I feel like there should be downsides to each transform if we have them. Instead of us transforming I still like the idea of different pet types or as Vand just said, a stance kinda setup that affects spell types.

• 73 posts
    September 15, 2016 7:56 PM PDT

tanwedar said:

Vandraad said:

I agree, especially about the wolf transformation, that's for druids/rangers/[chanters maybe] imo. If we were to have something such as the bear form I would think it should be a small amount of hp bonus, but no AC. Regardless of all of that, I feel like there should be downsides to each transform if we have them. Instead of us transforming I still like the idea of different pet types or as Vand just said, a stance kinda setup that affects spell types.

Thank you both for the feedback. I do not wish to reinvent the wheel but only add to the foundational principles of the class. I believe the lore of the shaman is that of channeling spirits, which if implemented in a fair and balanced way, could make for some very fun melee situations irrespective of their support playstyle. Do you remember the EQ spell "fleeting fury"? This was a temporary stat buff for like 12 seconds which if memory serves me correctly turned out to be pretty useless in actuality but in theory it had a lot of potential. Couple temporary mellee buffs or stances/forms (think Udyr league of legends) with fun items like the barbarian spiritists hammer that dropped in POF and shaman melee could be interesting and something that doesn't take away from core tenets.

At least this is some of what I am hoping for at least :D

This post was edited by Valith at September 15, 2016 7:56 PM PDT
    • 536 posts
    December 17, 2016 1:01 PM PST

I loved the EQ1 shaman...only kinda, sorta liked the VG shaman. Did not like that a shaman could tank...meh. Warriors fill that role, so why should a shaman be able to do the same? I prefer the way EQ1 did it in the early days, but that's just me. Let's keep the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" out of Pantheon, please.

• 4534 posts
    December 19, 2016 8:10 AM PST

Anistosoles said:

I loved the EQ1 shaman...only kinda, sorta liked the VG shaman. Did not like that a shaman could tank...meh. Warriors fill that role, so why should a shaman be able to do the same? I prefer the way EQ1 did it in the early days, but that's just me. Let's keep the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" out of Pantheon, please.

Shamans could tank in VG? (I only have very limited exposure to VG) That's very strange. I kinda like the idea of Druids being able to off-tank in bear form in some situations. But Shamans make no sense. Anyway, you're preaching to the choir about role diversity haha. The the OP, I like Shamans being the ultimate buffer/debuffer. I think they are often the unsung heroes in a lot of groups.

• 453 posts
    December 19, 2016 10:10 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Anistosoles said:

Shamans could tank in VG? (I only have very limited exposure to VG) That's very strange. I kinda like the idea of Druids being able to off-tank in bear form in some situations. But Shamans make no sense. Anyway, you're preaching to the choir about role diversity haha. The the OP, I like Shamans being the ultimate buffer/debuffer. I think they are often the unsung heroes in a lot of groups.

Yes depending on the totem you chose ,Vg had 3 shaman one was bear( tanky ) one wolf ( rogue like )and one phoenix ( caster type )

totally agree about shaman being best buffer/debuffer unsung heros :)