Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Turning in that notice you've joined a class 'guild'

• May 25, 2015 5:28 AM PDT

I've been playing around on the new EQ progression server and something I've always thought about when playing EQ came to mind.

If class tunics (for example) are given by class trainers in Pantheon,  they should be worth a little more than a starters gift.  Being as your character will always be that particular class, and working with the trainers throughout their career (right?), the beginning equipment should have the option of being upgraded,  over time and through specific quests.  The quests should follow a story line giving the player the history of the class in the new world or the reason behind the materials of the armor, or similar.

This idea may have been discussed already, but I wanted to bring it up as I always kept my characters beginning tunic in early EQ, 'just in case' it turned out I would have to present it to a trainer at some point. :)

This post was edited by BloodbeardBattlecaster at May 30, 2015 4:34 AM PDT
    • 338 posts
    May 25, 2015 6:08 AM PDT

High end gear could have upgradable sockets for some customization but I want to start the game out in literally rags and a sharpened stick for a weapon.

I don't want to upgrade those rags themselves but a nice progression slowly from rags to riches sounds best to me.

Kiz~

• May 25, 2015 6:27 AM PDT

You wouldn't be forced to upgrade the rags.  You would be able to still find other armor.  

• 724 posts
    May 25, 2015 8:23 AM PDT

Such a starter tunic could be nice as appearance item (if there are such in Pantheon). Not something you wear for its stats, but rather to show off your class.

Otherwise I'd prefer if you turned in the item for a better one at some point, instead of upgrading it.

• 1434 posts
    May 25, 2015 12:00 PM PDT

I think it might be better if it was some sort of signet that went into a particular slot.  Start gear is good, and could be offered through some quests that introduce you to your class, but in the long term there could be class quests that upgrade a specific item that designates a rank in your class guild.

• 308 posts
    May 25, 2015 7:54 PM PDT

Cloaks and shields with a customizable guild emblem, ala Daoc, would be great

• May 26, 2015 6:51 AM PDT
    Sarim said:

Otherwise I'd prefer if you turned in the item for a better one at some point, instead of upgrading it.

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking when typing the original post.  I much prefer this method than simply upgrading an item,  but I wasn't sure what others would think of having to keep a tunic around until they could turn it in.  I wouldn't want it to be something which happened often, as it is more a "I belong here" type of play than "Look how strong I'm getting".

As Sarim also said, an appearance item would be fine.  A shield or cape with a class emblem would be nice.  I remember the cloaks in DAoC, Reht.  Dullahan's idea of the signet which denotes standing within the class sounds interesting as well.

One downside to the idea of keeping the item around longer -  You don't get that extra 4 or 5 silver when you sell it after looting a slightly better item.  For my cleric in '99, that silver would have helped! :)

This post was edited by BloodbeardBattlecaster at May 26, 2015 6:53 AM PDT
    • 208 posts
    May 27, 2015 3:00 PM PDT

Hey folks.. I have always thought that specific class/race starting items should be required to get some kind of class/race high end item.  I always thought that a tunic or a cloak would be traded in for an upgraded item.  Not necessarily the same slot item but a better item.  For instance the starting item is a tunic and a warrior would turn that in at say level 8ish to get a good level appropriate shield but when a wizard turned in the tunic at that level they would get a good level appropriate helm or necklace.  I am thinking back to how the monk belt quest/system worked in original EQ and that made a lot of sense for the monks.  To progress to the next sash/knowledge level you had to turn in your old sash/item and be given a new one representing your advancement/achievements. 

• 308 posts
    May 27, 2015 3:09 PM PDT

Actually Daoc had something similar added later on.  They always had an epic quest which gave you a full set of armor at level 50 (you could get it before if you had good friends).  They later added quests that would give you a piece of class specific armor at certain levels, it might have been a chest piece or something, but it was cool having that class specific storyline when you hit the level for the next tier.

• May 28, 2015 6:07 AM PDT

Rolling up a monk during the testing of Ragefire is what got me started on this line of thought, Sogotp.  I already had the dwarf cleric and had turned in enough bone chips to get a better tunic and simply sold the starting tunic.

The monk got a simple headband for getting rid of some gnoll pups, and the next one was a considerably more difficult adventure.  I really enjoyed the process.

• 112 posts
    May 28, 2015 6:29 AM PDT

I kind of like the idea, but I wonder if it would be better to have it as a specific slot that is dedicated to it, just to ensure that the quest line is always worth pursuit.  Class Rank/Status Slot? Where completing certain quests/tasks will improve the stats on it.  I'd love it if at later levels it was an arena type thing that tested skills/tactics, possibly giving everyone stock stats, and/or only certain spells/abilities. 

A newbie wizard test being given a bolt spell, and fast nukes, where if the wizard doesn't utilize max range with the bolts initially, they likely fail.  A low level test then being simply kiting.  A higher level test being to kill 3 mobs simultaneously, where given only some spells the only combination to succeed would be to use a long casting bolt from max distance twice to kill the first, root the second, and snare the third as it reaches you to kite it while maintaining the root - type of thing >.> 

Where the tests might give a group a way to gage a players skill without knowing them, and/or at least it would be fun bragging rights ;P

• 288 posts
    May 28, 2015 10:43 AM PDT
    Sarim said:

Such a starter tunic could be nice as appearance item (if there are such in Pantheon). Not something you wear for its stats, but rather to show off your class.

I really really like this idea, combined with the OP suggestion of upgrading it.  If there was a costume slot it could go there, and as you upgraded it through "epic" style class quests that are specific to your RACE, it could give you a unique particle effect or unique look, a bit like a costume.  It would be important that it's specific to race though otherwise you'll look at it and be like, oh look there's a monk.. instead of oh wow check out that troll monk!(I know that won't exist, just an example)

Definitely against costume slots giving stats though, so we wouldn't want it to give any sort of benefit other than appearance.