Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Animations

• 91 posts
    April 6, 2015 2:10 PM PDT

Hey all

Just wandering when do animations typically get tweaked in the game making process.  The most recent video shows great graphic upgrades but the animations were lack luster and I am assuming that soley because they have not taken much focus as of yet.

Xan

• 1434 posts
    April 7, 2015 2:15 PM PDT

Not in pre-alpha.  I'm sure it varies, but usually perfecting that sort of thing is part of a polish pass late development.  Its actually good for a game like Pantheon that needs investors, to work on things like animations prior to releasing an important video update.  A lot of us here aren't overly concerned with graphics, but there are a lot of people who won't even give a game a second look if it seems clunky.

I actually thought the animations in the most recent update were quite an upgrade from older videos.  We didn't see any combat or other activities, but as far as running and walking is concerned, I thought it looked good.

• 91 posts
    April 17, 2015 8:58 PM PDT

I agree the animations were better in the video but still I also agree that more could and maybe should be done to get the investors to jump on board.

Xan

• 89 posts
    November 9, 2015 12:12 AM PST

I can't believe there isn't more dicussion on this subject.  Animations connect the player to the game world and If I don't feel connected to my character I'll create a different one, or just not play the game.

For example, in VG I played a Bard who used daggers early on and I loved it.  It felt very visceral and immersive.  But when I switched to swords, it just wasn't the same experience.  So, I had to use a sword with a dagger to get that same dagger animation.

So, I think animations, on the whole, are very important in an mmorpg.  Melee animations should be very martial artsy and quick.  And casters, on the other hand, should look very deliberate, demonstrative and graceful.  Hopefully the devs share the same feelings on this.

This post was edited by sdcord at November 9, 2015 12:17 AM PST
    • 91 posts
    November 9, 2015 2:24 AM PST

I am thinking a lot of it has to do with Brads recent post about the plan they have for game creation, he mentined one of the final phases will be animations.   I completely agree with you that animations are vital to the real feel.  if we get out of Alpha into Beta and the animations are not in or clunky I will be a little worried but not till that point.

xan