Forums » The Summoner

Summoners and Summoning...

• 353 posts
    March 29, 2015 10:25 AM PDT

I was thinking about this and had an idea that seems good.

What if summoners could summon a No Rent bag into your inventory... but not into a normal inventory slot, have it be summoned into a special bag slot that would only be for summoned bags.

Now when the summoner targets you and casts their summon item spells they would appear in that special bag they made for you.

This bag could get better as the summoner levels up.. like it could start at 2 slots and maybe get to 8 or something... also at high level it might be a weight reducing effect also.

If your bag is full and a summoner tries to summon an item into your bag it will just return a message that "This bag is full"

Been having some thoughts on summoners, I'll keep adding them as I get a chance..

Kiz~

• 1885 posts
    March 29, 2015 1:14 PM PDT

If I recall the summoned armors in EQ- later( after a patch or upgrade) came in a bag, that you could hand to someone. Heavy, but still, something for a corpse-run, even a deep corpse- run. Weapons were separate.

But I see what you mean, have ti appear in your pocket, instead of being handed a bag- save a step. Makes sense.

• 223 posts
    March 30, 2015 6:55 AM PDT

Would this just be for corpse runs though?  I can't really imagine how much more useful it would be besides needing it to carry stuff to your corpse.

• 353 posts
    March 30, 2015 9:22 AM PDT

Summoners in EQ1 could make you modulation rods that would convert health to mana.

They also had lots of other trinkets but it was a pain in the butt to hand them out so usually they were just dropped on the ground and picked up when needed.

This would allow them to just summon stuff into your bags directly. Maybe there would be a confirmation box when it happens that you could allow or disallow.

Kiz~

• 1885 posts
    March 30, 2015 6:05 PM PDT

I meant, if we're in a  group and we wiped, it was nice to be able to summon armor for those classes that could wear it for a corpse run, to be thrown away once at your corpse. Even though the mage just had the camisole, mages weren't that tough anyways so- I mean the clothing and jewelry was more of an acoutrement to enhance the casting. Even with the "armor" if a mage got smacked, they got smacked. for other members, if they got smacked they would stagger, but if they had even some summoned armor, they might only falter.

• 4 posts
    November 10, 2015 5:22 AM PST

One of the issues with EQ was that, the mage-summoned items were so inferior to any other armour, that it basically made them not worth using, apart for equipping pets (for which there were specific pet-only items).

I think the reasoning was that, if summoned gear were any better, people wouldn't bother to equip anything else.

With that in mind, how about the idea of summoned items that are equal to crafted/dropped items, are limited by a buff timer?

The items could last for a set time, say, a couple of hours, (as opposed to the traditional NO RENT where they only vanish on logging), either at full strength, or gradually decay on a timer, as the dweomer that holds them together loses power.

It could allow for situations where replacement items could be created for a corpse run, that were good enough to allow people to fight back in, but inconvenient enough to not rely on them exclusively.

• 694 posts
    November 10, 2015 7:42 AM PST

diptera said:

One of the issues with EQ was that, the mage-summoned items were so inferior to any other armour, that it basically made them not worth using, apart for equipping pets (for which there were specific pet-only items).

I think the reasoning was that, if summoned gear were any better, people wouldn't bother to equip anything else.

With that in mind, how about the idea of summoned items that are equal to crafted/dropped items, are limited by a buff timer?

The items could last for a set time, say, a couple of hours, (as opposed to the traditional NO RENT where they only vanish on logging), either at full strength, or gradually decay on a timer, as the dweomer that holds them together loses power.

It could allow for situations where replacement items could be created for a corpse run, that were good enough to allow people to fight back in, but inconvenient enough to not rely on them exclusively. 

This is an excellent idea! It was kind of disappointing as a mage to be able to summon armor and weapons, that would be useless for players in 99.9% of all cases. Having items disappear after a (short) while could allow making actually usable items...and it could make for some funny moments on corpse runs ("Are you sure the armor will last long enough?". "Yeah!". A bit later: "Oops..." :)

For summoned bags, these were actually quite decent. Even my high level mage always used at least one (also to keep other summoned stuff in). As for the "give" mechanic, I liked EQs way where summoned items appeared on your cursor. I think that was the same wether you summoned stuff for yourself or when targeting someone else. Just make it so you have to be grouped to summon something for others, and you prevent most cases of abuse too.

• 180 posts
    January 18, 2016 5:49 AM PST

I, too, found the under-powered summoned items a lost opportunity.  I always hoped that this class skill could be revisited and made more viable.  Perhaps a timer, perhaps they only last while grouped, but if there was a definitive, built-in governing mechanic with these items, perhaps the developers would feel less inclined to limit the utility of these items.  I'd love for the items to be seen a buff, not as an inventory waste.  

I think it would be reminiscent of the old play style ... when the group gets together you pass out food, drink, buff up, and perhaps pass out the odd enchanted/summoned weapon.  It would definitely make the class group friendly.