Forums » The Wizard

Special Caster Damage Item

• 59 posts
    March 24, 2015 3:41 AM PDT

Back when I played my Paladin and later my Berserker in Everquest I always loved raids and getting better equipment. One of the best Candyzones was Plane of Time. Everbody had 1 Boss he was waiting for to be killed because he dropped the class weapon for him/her. For Paladin it was Tallon Zek who dropped the fabled Hopebringer ( http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=21695 )When it finally dropped for us I threw in all my DKP to get it. And when I equipped it and hit my first Slay Undead with it and the groupheal procced I felt like a god swinging this beautiful thing.

When I later changed to a caster I never ever had that feeling. Because there wasnt such an item like a weapon that meant something. A Caster staff/ wand dropped ...doesnt matter just some stats more. You dont even swing it at foes its just there in your hands.

So for Pantheon I would love some melee weapon equivalent for Casters. Something they can look forward to. Which increases Damage greatly and isnt just a stat boost like everything else. Maybe some special ''Focus'' slot.

It would be great if you could then make something so people know that you are having this item. Particle Effect added to spells or something. Probably you have some better idea.

What do you think?

• 353 posts
    March 24, 2015 5:12 AM PDT

in EQ1 there were a few of those items that every caster wanted, off the top of my head here is one

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=3650

the thing is that casters dont need much to enter the godrealm. and the manastone was/is probably the most OP caster item ever invented, because with enough mana anything is possible.

• 820 posts
    March 24, 2015 5:43 AM PDT

I think everyone wants something to hope for when they raid, group, etc...

The way I could see this working would be to have (using your example) class specific weapons drop that enhanced whatever it was each class built themselves around.

For example: 

- Say a class is a heavy mana user - and people build for mana regen... well, an item that had a bit more mana regen on it than average stuff you could get might be prized.

- Say a class is very much a single target damage class... maybe an item that increases damage slightly the longer you are attacking a specific mob without switching targets... ramping up to some capped damage increase

Those sorts of things.  The trick would be to do so in a way that makes them desirable, but not overpowered - and not really necessary.  You should be able to kill uber dragon next without it, but having your members have such gear would be beneficial.

• 157 posts
    March 25, 2015 8:02 AM PDT

Special items and game is not released yet.  Not sure weapons are even a topic to much.  Special items for 1 should equal similar for all.  In different styles and area's of course

I am just waiting for the Casters should do more damage than melee thread.