Forums » The Wizard

Wizard Items

• 62 posts
    February 14, 2015 10:24 PM PST

Traditional robes (I very much enjoyed the look of robes in EQ1 personally) with cloaks are, of course, a required trademark. What ideas did you have about how they would look?

I think Dark Souls (particularly DS2) did a great job with wizard items in terms of looks and variation. The robes animated in wind direction (something I think would be neat for all items in the game; even plumes for helmets) by having the lower body loose with the upper constrained by a belt.

Wizards should also make use of their weapon in general. DS2 had a catalyst feature where the spells animated from the tip of the weapon, which seemed interesting. I also think that weapons, staves in particular, should be carried or animated in a variety of ways based on the player's preference. In other words, staff end touching the ground for one way (like Rift),  held normally like in the development videos, and held with both hands if the other hand is free.

In terms of stats, it's kind of harder to comment on this point than anything else. But should stats like faster mana regen or faster cast speed be implemented into Wizard gear?

• 9339 posts
    February 14, 2015 10:26 PM PST

Hold that thought for one more day! ;)

• 62 posts
    February 14, 2015 10:37 PM PST
    Kilsin said:

And also floating books (a la Diablo 3), and pointy hats, and glowing fist, and...

• 820 posts
    February 15, 2015 4:55 AM PST
    Kilsin said:

???

Is this a hint of some sort???

• 238 posts
    February 15, 2015 1:33 PM PST

Personally I have never been a fan of pointy wizard hats, just never really thought they looked good but I know I might be in the minority on this one. In fact I think the proper appearance of a wizard would be hat-less...

On a separate issue I always felt the hand items should effect a casters damage output much like a sword would effect a fighters damage output. So a staff would have a stat that effected spell damage.

This post was edited by Xonth at February 15, 2015 1:37 PM PST
    • 499 posts
    February 15, 2015 4:26 PM PST
    Xonth said:

Personally I have never been a fan of pointy wizard hats, just never really thought they looked good but I know I might be in the minority on this one. In fact I think the proper appearance of a wizard would be hat-less...

....snip....

I agree Xonth.

I loved the floating magical weapons of Aion's Spiritmaster and TERA's Sorc's disc:

This post was edited by Zarriya at February 15, 2015 5:33 PM PST
    • 62 posts
    February 15, 2015 10:04 PM PST

Those look fun :)

Though I don't see the harm of point hats (and hoods are definitly wizardish).

• 499 posts
    February 16, 2015 5:15 AM PST
    Vortikai said:

Those look fun :)

Though I don't see the harm of point hats (and hoods are definitly wizardish).

They were fun - I loved their floating animations. I like hoods as well, especially with the ability to toggle hood up or down ala Eq2:

I am looking forward to today's news Kildjin :)

This post was edited by Zarriya at February 16, 2015 1:49 PM PST
    • 20 posts
    February 16, 2015 5:21 PM PST

I liked the robes in eq.  Not sure why EQ was different than any other game because I remember seeing people with distinct robes like the FBR or the ...purple one forgot and so wanted one.  It was like a status symbol of sorts and I never noticed that in any other MMO.  Maybe it was because there was so few robes?  I'm not sure but would be great to have the same thing here.

I think robes/or armor should all have unique graphics if they are good loot or special loot from an epic boss or what have you.  I'm sure that's alot of work though.

Same went with armor too, banded, bronze, crafted....Everyone other MMO I had no idea what people had and it had no meaning to me.

• 62 posts
    February 17, 2015 12:23 AM PST

I liked how the robes in EQ looked. Some games with a wizard type make the robes really baggy which makes the avatar look really fat. They should be loose at the bottom and tight on the torso, if belts are involved!

Maybe the unique colors and patterns of EQ1 robes are why they are so memorable and the only other robes in a video game just as unique looking/memorable for me are the Archmage's set in Skyrim or the hexer's in Dark Souls 2.

Edit: Maybe the lion mage's set in DS2 as well. Robes in EQ2, Diablo 3, and just about any other game are really forgettable.

This post was edited by Vortikai at February 17, 2015 12:25 AM PST
    • 49 posts
    December 29, 2015 8:01 PM PST

My wizard Razl Dazl wore a deep emerald robe in EQ, T the PoP time. Still my favorite avatar costume. You could customize the dying, it was one click under black. It was perfect on a high elf caster. No hat or cowl.

ive always favored circlets or stones.

• 374 posts
    April 29, 2016 7:28 PM PDT

A good Wizard Item is a staff with a clickable single target aggro spell that uses little or no mana to pull from a distance.