Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The crawl in dungeoncrawl

• 768 posts
    August 15, 2022 12:51 AM PDT

With climbing being a thing in the game. I recall a clip shown by the devs that showcased a player climbing a roster/mountainside.

I was wondering if it would be possible to implemented that horizontally?  So the player would be "climbing on their belly". In other games you break a wall/section and walk through it or "click" through it. You could make it one way only traffic or just large enough for people to pass next to each other.  It wouldn't have the same distance as climbing on walls ofc. It would just be, get close to crawlspace, crawl for 2 steps or so and enter the next section. 

Not that you have to see that all over the place. I'm thinking in lines of: dungeon holes, ruined buildings or passageways, tunnel to Y. I'm not talking about being able to crawl all over Terminus like an eel on dry land. This needs to be clear. You could go crazy on it by adding more requirements to being able to crawl on X surface. But for now I just wanted to bring up the plain version of it. 

Is it that far fetched? Obviously it doesn't have to be in the game at launch (risk of feature creep in mind), but if they would just make holes where one cannot get through at launch, it will give them time to "open up" excisting parts of dungeons or areas later on in the game. It could be seen as a certain dungeonprogression; time spent climbing in dungeon => dungeoneer skill progression =>being able to crawl X and so on. It would be a more subtle way of reserving space in a game for later content. A cave-in or something could give lore an opportunity to give a nice teaser.

I can imagine being in a dungeon with a group, looking through a "crawlingspace" and viewing mobs or other players. Or just having someone crawling out while I'm nearby.

So what do you think? Something to consider? Would it add flavour or is it just needless delays while you just want to kill mobs instead of squeezing yourself into narrow spaces? Or would it only bring up weird graphics while being in that small space. (then again, who hasn't been raiding in a cramped corner with only a piece of stone in front of you)

This post was edited by Barin999 at August 15, 2022 12:53 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    August 15, 2022 6:45 AM PDT

Barin999 said:

So what do you think? Something to consider? Would it add flavour or is it just needless delays while you just want to kill mobs instead of squeezing yourself into narrow spaces? Or would it only bring up weird graphics while being in that small space. (then again, who hasn't been raiding in a cramped corner with only a piece of stone in front of you)

Sounds like a fun idea. These could be different movement modes. We already have "walking" and probably "walking while ducked". Now you could add "crawling on your hands and knees" and your suggestion, "crawling on your belly". I think these should should be triggered through keybinds (like you do for "duck"). Should they require stamina though, like climbing? If so, it should be far less than climbing. Ohh and fighting would probably be not possible while in these movement modes, or what do you say?

It would be cool if there were places where you could use such forms of movement. Although I agree with your concern, this might be difficult with 3rd person camera.

This post was edited by Sarim at August 15, 2022 6:47 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    August 15, 2022 7:03 AM PDT

With so much verticality and emphasis on exploration and 'teaser' views of areas through holes in walls and the like, it would be odd to *not* be able to 'go prone' and crawl through holes, I suppose.

• 3852 posts
    August 15, 2022 7:07 AM PDT

I caution that any system requiring good player reflexes or vision or internet connection can have a major negative impact in a dungeon. I cannot count the number of times in games like SWTOR or DDO a group fell apart or wiped because one or two players just couldn't make the jumps at the precise right time or to the precise right pixel that the group leader did rather than going the somewhat longer way that every player could easily follow. Where there is a choice of ways to go this is on the group leader. But where there is only one way - as in far too many DDO dungeons with jumping requirements - this is on the developers.

I do not offhand see how this would be a factor in crawling but on the other hand even character skill checks could badly split up a group or result in grouping announcments like "Group forming for the Caves of Chaos - Crawling skill of 95 or better mandatory".

This post was edited by dorotea at August 15, 2022 6:17 PM PDT
    • 27 posts
    August 15, 2022 8:10 AM PDT

If i recall correctly during one of the Q and A segments there was mention about near horizontal climbing with navigating pass an overhang. having crawl spaces to traverse doesnt seem too much outside the realm of possibilities. 

my only concern would be agro and taking damage. with climbing you can code probabilities of falling or options to drop off wall and try to fight/run; however with a crawl space you're kind of commited. how far into the tunnel can you still be hit by melee or ranged atks. also wouldnt want to see it insta drop agro either but that could cuase pathing/train issues if the mob decides to run around to the other end of tunnel. would mobs be able to crawl through after you ....wait do we know if mobs will also be able to climb?

• 888 posts
    August 15, 2022 10:32 AM PDT

disposalist said:

With so much verticality and emphasis on exploration and 'teaser' views of areas through holes in walls and the like, it would be odd to *not* be able to 'go prone' and crawl through holes, I suppose.

It would really stand out (assuming there's anywhere that we should be able to crawl in to) since we can crawl verticality (climb).  They've already mentioned trying to crawl away when in a near death state, so I image it will exist.  I don't really want to have to use it much, though, since it might be difficult for the camera to track and for me to visualize, making it frustrating.  

So while it seems like it should be an option, my aversion to camera issues alone make me not want it if it's not very well done. I also don't want to have a bunch of false holes and thus feel the need to check them all.  Use it sparingly or not at all.

This post was edited by Counterfleche at August 15, 2022 10:50 AM PDT
    • 1404 posts
    August 15, 2022 9:07 PM PDT

I love the idea and would really like to see it. It seems to me to fall right into the realm of what MMO's SHOULD have evolved into, like climbing, should have been implemented decades ago.

On a lesser but similar note, movement has always been Walk (seldom if ever used) or Run, (everybody always running all over) I'd like to see char speed be variable and a reason to use it as such, for example slower speeds you would be more sure footed, a little more forgiveness when crossing a plank or running near a clif or on a ledge for example.

• 2138 posts
    August 16, 2022 8:50 AM PDT

*pretends to be a lazy coder* we have climb, Y axis and it is good. Crawl? hmm. Here I have model of wall that is climbed- ah HA! I will just...tilt it on its side! and there is crawl. I will put walls around it and it is good.

*sandbox players discover Y axis on its side in crawl holes forming a horizontal "down" that acts like a water-park slide-chute depending on which side of the crawl space is "down" so if one were to jump up from the crawl just right or release from the crawl just right, it is as if they are falling "down" but actually across if they can prevent themselves from grabbing anything. There is the potential for some damage if they bump into the walls and coming out the other end is as if they were thrown back by MoB mechanic. but traverse the distance at falling speed. Multi-group uber guilds discover the ability to pass needed clickies through these crawl spaces by throwing them "down"/across just right to other members.*

Then someone says something and the crawl spaces are all walled off to be replaced by boring halls, everyone complains because its not "fun"anymore and the person that complained left the game on their own and no one knows who it was that complained to jeer at them.

• 810 posts
    August 16, 2022 9:24 PM PDT
    I like the idea of obstacles in general given enough future dev time. Crawling/squeezing through or under, digging up, breaking open vs lock picking vs spells vs keys vs etc, magical paths and barriers, teleporters, chopping down trees to fall across gaps, etc.

It all just takes time and I don't think we need to add more to their plate for any of these ideas.