Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Randomize the location of the "rare golden ring on the grou

• 26 posts
    July 31, 2022 3:14 PM PDT

As discussed in another thread, the idea of finding a rare golden ring on the ground in the world is really exciting, but the problem is it's location will immediately be posted on wikis/ect, thus only very early players will ever get the experience that feeling of discovery. As a solution to this problem, I argue that the devs should randomize the spawn location of these rare items on the ground. Maybe a ring can spawn on the ocean floor anywhere in the world, and when it is found it then spawns at another random location on the ocean floor. This solves the community wiki issue, and further rewards players who explore and look down. Additionally, maybe high skilled keepers can be alerted when they are near one of these items via the perception system.

I love the idea of randomly stumbling on a valuable item at the bottom of the ocean, I just don't want that experience ruined by the existence of a community wiki.

This post was edited by Kamlor at July 31, 2022 3:15 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    July 31, 2022 6:18 PM PDT

I entirely agree. More importantly I know the developers have this concern in mind and are well aware that random spawn points are a solution. Past discussions have focused more on named mobs than random rare loot or perception nodes but the idea is the same.

• 888 posts
    July 31, 2022 7:02 PM PDT

It wouldn't really be totally random (as in anywhere) but could randomly choose between designated spawns, creating a feeling of pseudo-randomness, provided enough spawn points exist.

Loot spawning in a specific place takes away the feeling of discovery, but it should still be somewhat limited in spawn locations so it feels like it makes sense. 

• 26 posts
    July 31, 2022 8:28 PM PDT

dorotea said:

I entirely agree. More importantly I know the developers have this concern in mind and are well aware that random spawn points are a solution. Past discussions have focused more on named mobs than random rare loot or perception nodes but the idea is the same.

Yeah I would be surprised if the devs haven't thought of this, but Joppa's comment in the stream made it seem like maybe they weren't pursuing the randomization route? Specifically, he mentioned the community wiki being issue that will ruin the sense of discovery. 

This post was edited by Kamlor at July 31, 2022 8:28 PM PDT
    • 454 posts
    July 31, 2022 9:31 PM PDT

This is something I just don't understand.  If you want the thrill of discovery, don't read the wikis.  It seems so simple.  Some people enjoy writing them, some enjoy reading them, others don't read them, so don't.Why doesn't that work?

• 174 posts
    July 31, 2022 10:05 PM PDT

Human nature...

• 26 posts
    July 31, 2022 10:20 PM PDT

Questaar said:

This is something I just don't understand.  If you want the thrill of discovery, don't read the wikis.  It seems so simple.  Some people enjoy writing them, some enjoy reading them, others don't read them, so don't.Why doesn't that work?

If there is a valueable golden ring that always spawns at the same location in the world, there's going to be a giant line to grab it and everyone will know about it whether or not you read the wiki. 

• 6 posts
    August 5, 2022 9:11 AM PDT

I am getting LOTR vibes here...

We should all know by now what the consequences are if we pick up this "golden ring found in a random place".

This post was edited by Vegeta9000 at August 6, 2022 3:27 AM PDT
    • 256 posts
    August 5, 2022 3:11 PM PDT

I think it would be cool if they randomized the spawns of some of the more rare items. I think that would be a great way to promote exploration long-term, and reward players for continued exploration. That being said, I could also see certain specific items having set spawn locations based on lore conditions. I hope they end up considering this concept if they haven't already.