Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Consumables Great and Small

• 724 posts
    June 9, 2022 8:00 AM PDT

Any word on the power/effect of consumables?

Coffee or some stimulant to increase movement speed or rate of casting?  

Can the coffee, used here as a general example of a stimulant, be different grades? eg. Grade 5 coffee grants a 2% increase in movement speed for 10 minutes : Grade 1 coffee grands a 100% increase in movement speed for 10 seconds and a -50% movement speed for 30 seconds after.  

They could really allow some crazy variation with consumables and make those that craft and focus on consumables feel really special.

Of course I have a desire for my Halfling to be a special consumable crafter because it should reflect how special I already am, for I am very special,  all my doctors tell me so.  

• 1277 posts
    June 9, 2022 9:24 AM PDT

What if you drink too much coffee in a 24 hour period?  

• 724 posts
    June 9, 2022 9:43 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

What if you drink too much coffee in a 24 hour period?  

Great question.  I would guess you can become toxic and shake. You agro everything around you and have a shaking that borders on the violent uncontrollable whipping of limbs and constant change of direction. So if you were in the valley of easily irritable chipmunks you could picture someone covered in angry chipmunks flailing about while your group mates are incapacitated with laughter. 

• 295 posts
    June 9, 2022 10:33 AM PDT

I think that is just a matter of asking during the live stream or something similar. I don't know how consumables worked in EQ, I played WoW. I say that becasue that maybe a baseline for how they will be in Pantheon(with VR's unique take of course). For example, in WoW, after combat we would sit and eat/drink to regen our health/mana and received bonus effects like temporary stat increases. I don't recall seeing that in any Pantheon stream. So, I either overlooked something or food/drink will be different in Pantheon(like EQ???)

Since I don't know the basics, then I can't create some new dishes with effects even though I like creating new stuff.(insert emoji with chef's hat on)

This post was edited by Dikenzu at June 9, 2022 10:36 AM PDT
    • 2036 posts
    June 9, 2022 12:57 PM PDT

Dikenzu said:

in WoW, after combat we would sit and eat/drink to regen our health/mana and received bonus effects like temporary stat increases. I don't recall seeing that in any Pantheon stream. So, I either overlooked something or food/drink will be different in Pantheon(like EQ???)

We haven't seen them in streams because they had not been created yet :) Our dedicated Crafting Dev - Nephele - was hired less than 2 years ago. According to the recent Newsletters, they have just started implementing crafting systems into the game in the last few months.

Edit: The one example I know of was in the Crafting reveal stream with Nephele in Feb 2021. Roenick makes 'Apple Glazed Trout' which buffs Intellect 1 point for 15 minutes. Another food buffed his stamina for 15 min. He also made a different food that increased his mana regen for 60 seconds, but only while sitting down. It was clearly aimed for use outside of combat.

We have elsewhere been told that the Foods & Drinks made by a Provisioner are much like what you describe above, items used either before combat for buffs or after, for regen.

This post was edited by Jothany at June 9, 2022 1:39 PM PDT
    • 724 posts
    June 9, 2022 1:43 PM PDT

I was hoping for insight upon the idea or grades of consumables.

So that Apple Glazed Trout that buffs Intelligence for 1 point for 15 minutes as Grade 5 and another Apple Glazed Trout at Grade 1 increase intelligence 5 points for 30 seconds BUT causes a loss of intelligence -8 points for and hour after.  Though I'm thinking one would use this in combat.  The penalty and benefit levels and affects needing balance and twerking during the testing but it could be a lot of fun.  

• 2036 posts
    June 9, 2022 4:46 PM PDT

Well I'm expecting that higher level recipes we find will have more powerful affects for sure. I would expect the increases in power to be balanced by the increased cost or challenge of harvesting materials that are more rare or dangerous to gather. A very powerful, temporary affect with a downside like you describe might be more suited to an alchemical product for use in combat, rather than the food & drink buffs consumed before the start of battle. IMO it fits a different category of affect. But there could be a place for it. We just haven't heard anything about that yet.

Speculating entirely on the strength of how they are structuring the 'growth' of a characters abilities by giving an improved version of some ability an entirely different name, rather than 'Fireball I', 'Fireball II'....'Fireball VI', etc. I suggest that they won't be described as 'grades' of the same thing.

So I could see a basic recipe for coffee producing 'Maxwell's House Grind' and a much higher recipe used to make 'Juan Valdez's Private Reserve'. An alchemical version for use in extreme circumstances by Wizards might be 'The Brazilian Bombshell'.

(Of course all those names would need to be 'Terminized' for immersion)

• 612 posts
    June 10, 2022 4:46 AM PDT

From what Nephele has told us in the past; Provisioners will make food and drink that is designed to be used in preparation ahead of fights and will have effects that last a longer duration, while Alchemists will make Potions and Elixers (maybe even grenade type concotions that can be thrown) that are designed to be consumed/used in reaction to events during combat and have much shorter durations.

So like @Jothany said, the quick temporary buff with the side effects would be an Alchemy consumable rather than a Provisioning one.

In the latest Dev stream on June 9th 2022 (source) Adam 'Tehom' Mostel explained that as a baseline Food/Drink buffs will last 30 minutes, obviously leaving it open that this could be different for specialty food/drinks. He also mentioned that food won't always effect regeneration in any way and will instead buff other things and so choice of the food buff you use will be important. In the past they have mentioned that you would likely only be allowed 1 food and 1 drink buff at a time.

It is unclear if Potions and Elixers will also have a limit, but due to their shorter durations it may not be viable to pop 3 or 4 potions at once since the effects of the first one consumed would be fading before you can gulp down the 4th one.

• 724 posts
    June 10, 2022 11:12 AM PDT

Well I'll hang on to a hope that some consumables will have their own risk-&-reward design. 

• 83 posts
    June 11, 2022 1:42 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

Well I'll hang on to a hope that some consumables will have their own risk-&-reward design. 

Really like this idea, especially for Alchemy.

As an example imagine a potion that, for a small period of time, increases your damage by 50%, which seems absurd, but decreases your defenses by the same amount.

It's a basic example but stuff like that just gives more depth to combat with the extra tactical decisions that you would be able to make.

I hope Nephele is considering this. It really feels like a perfect match for pantheon.

This post was edited by Kaynrath at June 11, 2022 1:43 PM PDT
    • 768 posts
    July 22, 2022 9:52 PM PDT

If I'm not mistaking, certain consumables produced by provisioners with a recipe/recources from a specific area might include region specific "benefits". 

This might have been just a suggestion, so don't take this as a confirmation just yet. 

Aside of that I do hope if things get distilled or fermented some degree of constitution impact would be acceptable to my logic.  Let's say your living on deteriorated dried meat made/found in the desert for a week or so, your constitution/concentration/endurance might take longer to regenerate. You'll want some proper food after a while.

• 2138 posts
    July 26, 2022 10:04 AM PDT

Barin999 said:

If I'm not mistaking, certain consumables produced by provisioners with a recipe/recources from a specific area might include region specific "benefits". 

This might have been just a suggestion, so don't take this as a confirmation just yet. 

Aside of that I do hope if things get distilled or fermented some degree of constitution impact would be acceptable to my logic.  Let's say your living on deteriorated dried meat made/found in the desert for a week or so, your constitution/concentration/endurance might take longer to regenerate. You'll want some proper food after a while.

or by eating spicy food in a hotter climate. if it is Hot outside, but you eat spicy food to raise your internal temperature relative to the outside temperature. You will be "cooler" as the difference between your natural heat and the feel of the suns heat will be less than it was since your heat is higher...technically. You are 98.6, outside temp is 125degrees, thats 27degrees of hot. You eat peppers and raise your internal temp to 105 degrees. Now that's only 20degrees of hot, 7 degrees cooler, no?)

• 724 posts
    November 1, 2022 5:42 AM PDT

I'm returning to this because of the mention of noise being a trigger for aggro.   You eat baked beans, this gives you +1 to strength for 30 minutes, but after 30 minutes you get a +1 to noise, because you're tooting. :-P