Forums » The Wizard

The Name We Give Our Mistakes

    • 209 posts
    February 17, 2022 7:01 PM PST

    The Wizard 'Experience' was such a good read. I'm hankerning to see this class in game now.

    What are your thoughts on the interview?

    • 35 posts
    February 18, 2022 6:54 AM PST

    Cautiously optimistic!  It was always sad to see most of our spells lines of little use.  I hope it works in the ways I am envisioning in my head.  So to make sure I understand something said in that interview.  Weaving between the spell lines should make our DPS go up but staying in the spell lines will make our mana more efficient.  I hope that is what i am reading.  Sounds like this could be a good answer.  

    • 28 posts
    February 18, 2022 8:11 AM PST

    Dikenzu said:

    The Wizard 'Experience' was such a good read. I'm hankerning to see this class in game now.

    What are your thoughts on the interview?

    Agreed! In general too often learning your character meant determining the sequence to trigger skills for maximum DPR/Healing/Threat and then just cycling through. Once you learned the mechanics of a battle the only gate then became your gear. I am excited by the goal of VR which was re-itereated in the Wizare 'Experience'... It is not about mashing buttons in some sequence rinse and repeat nor are battles static. I believe this is going to create a game where one run looks very different from another run even with the same group and same area. With every battle random ability component on the NPCs, that is going to drive the need to know your character/race to a deeper level to be able to react well to the unique ability. Very Exciting! 

    • 1846 posts
    March 4, 2022 4:25 PM PST

    I definitely had concerns about the spell lines as they had been shown on the Class page in the past. They weren't terribly attractive to me, though I knew full well that we didn't know the half of it, AND that things change.

    Wizard is on my 'must play' list and I'm much happier now with the described changes. Just waiting impatiently for Alpha!


    This post was edited by Jothany at March 4, 2022 4:26 PM PST
    • 2115 posts
    March 6, 2022 9:40 AM PST

    It sounds like an improvement.  I agree with others who are cautiously optimistic.  
    Hopefully we get a class reveal video like other classes have gotten that shows the changes.  A lot has been said over the years.  They need to show us and not just talk about it.

    • 2115 posts
    March 6, 2022 9:57 AM PST

    Titanias said:

    Cautiously optimistic!  It was always sad to see most of our spells lines of little use.  I hope it works in the ways I am envisioning in my head.  So to make sure I understand something said in that interview.  Weaving between the spell lines should make our DPS go up but staying in the spell lines will make our mana more efficient.  I hope that is what i am reading.  Sounds like this could be a good answer.  


    I don't think thats what that means in regards to weaving.  Spell weaving is a wizard specific ability that allows certain spells to be instant cast with no mana cost when another, specific, spell is cast first.  It's like a chain reaction type thing that wizards can acquire...though of course everything can change.

    (there have been a few conversations about how spell weaving may have been a major reason for the removal of offensive crits)

    • 1846 posts
    March 6, 2022 11:48 AM PST

    philo said: I don't think thats what that means in regards to weaving.  Spell weaving is a wizard specific ability that allows certain spells to be instant cast with no mana cost when another, specific, spell is cast first.  It's like a chain reaction type thing that wizards can acquire...though of course everything can change.

    (there have been a few conversations about how spell weaving may have been a major reason for the removal of offensive crits)

    I remember "Spell Weaving" as a unique ability mentioned way back in the early days. I got the impression - though I can't quote anything to support the idea - that the Mastery Point system for everyone kind of replaced it. I haven't neard anything about 'Weaving' as a named ability in the Game since those days, so I too interpreted the quote from the Newletter as meaning just 'weaving back and forth between damage types'.

    It would be cool if you've heard VR mention "Weaving" recently in its older, formal sense.

    • 2115 posts
    March 6, 2022 2:52 PM PST

    Jothany said:

    philo said: I don't think thats what that means in regards to weaving.  Spell weaving is a wizard specific ability that allows certain spells to be instant cast with no mana cost when another, specific, spell is cast first.  It's like a chain reaction type thing that wizards can acquire...though of course everything can change.

    (there have been a few conversations about how spell weaving may have been a major reason for the removal of offensive crits)

    I remember "Spell Weaving" as a unique ability mentioned way back in the early days. I got the impression - though I can't quote anything to support the idea - that the Mastery Point system for everyone kind of replaced it. I haven't neard anything about 'Weaving' as a named ability in the Game since those days, so I too interpreted the quote from the Newletter as meaning just 'weaving back and forth between damage types'.

    It would be cool if you've heard VR mention "Weaving" recently in its older, formal sense.



    Prior to the update spell weaving was explained under the wizard class description.  There have been a couple discussions on discord since the recent newsletter where people commented they were happy to hear spell weaving was still a thing that was intended for wizards.  Until we hear otherwise we have to assume that spell weaving, as mentioned in the newsletter, is the same as spell weaving that has been talked about in the past.


    This post was edited by philo at March 6, 2022 5:06 PM PST
    • 1846 posts
    March 6, 2022 7:55 PM PST

    Sounds good to me. I like my Wizard more and more.