Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Why weapon selection matters (Dec 9th stream)

• 33 posts
    January 5, 2022 8:12 PM PST

On the Dec 9th stream (forging terminus) they threw a big hint that weapon selection matters at all levels including which skills you raise. I got excited as the usual learn all (class permitted) weapons and no real specialization is not appealing for me. It was said that it will be revealed in Jan. Any idea in which Jan event?

This post was edited by SynSymbio at January 5, 2022 8:12 PM PST
    • 1860 posts
    January 6, 2022 8:38 AM PST

Do you have a link to where they mentioned it will be revealed in January?

• 33 posts
    January 6, 2022 9:10 AM PST

Go to 17:55 until 19:30 time mark in the: "Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen – Forging Terminus Developer Live Stream".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7ZnFZ7KSA

• 2137 posts
    January 6, 2022 9:19 AM PST

I believe Joppa mentioned leaving more info on a particular question to an upcoming stream on "combat system improvements", but I don't remember any kind of date for it. Edit: direct quotes were "in the New Year" and later "in the near future".

If there IS anything planned for reveal in Jan, it would almost have to be in the Dev Stream on the 13th.

This post was edited by Jothany at January 6, 2022 9:32 AM PST
    • 2752 posts
    January 6, 2022 9:21 AM PST

What I get from this is they plan on expanding more upon this at some point in this year (likely when they can show not tell), not in January specifically.

• 2419 posts
    January 6, 2022 9:22 AM PST

SynSymbio said:

On the Dec 9th stream (forging terminus) they threw a big hint that weapon selection matters at all levels including which skills you raise. I got excited as the usual learn all (class permitted) weapons and no real specialization is not appealing for me. It was said that it will be revealed in Jan. Any idea in which Jan event?

In the earliest days (circa 2014) one of the design tenant was that certain damage types (blunt, slash, pierce) would be better against certain body types while worse against others.  Blunt vs skeletons, for example, would be the best damage type but Piercing would be the worst and Slashing wouldn't have any bonus or penalty.  I'm hoping that this 'weapon selection matters' is coming out of this.

• 1860 posts
    January 6, 2022 9:22 AM PST

SynSymbio said:

Go to 17:55 until 19:30 time mark in the: "Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen – Forging Terminus Developer Live Stream".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7ZnFZ7KSA

I had actually already listened to that just before responding to this thread when I had tried to look it up.  I'm not hearing anything about January that you referred to...

This post was edited by philo at January 6, 2022 9:22 AM PST
    • 33 posts
    January 6, 2022 11:51 AM PST

He said twice in these 95 seconds, coming in the new year. I understand it as Jan, as that is how the phrase is used at least in here. Just saying. Let's wait and see.

Onward and upward.

• 1860 posts
    January 6, 2022 12:46 PM PST

Ooh that's why you thought Jan. Lol  Ya, they tell us "soon" or "next up in the queue" or "in the near future" etc. and that could mean years away.  If they say "in the new year" or "in the near future" that definitely doesn't mean the next month (January).  You will improve your VR comment insight and investigation skills after you've followed closely for  a few years.

This post was edited by philo at January 6, 2022 12:50 PM PST
    • 33 posts
    January 6, 2022 1:52 PM PST

I am just MMO optimistic by nature and an emotional EQ'er since 1999. I am following this project for a long time since almost the very beginning. And had my initial pledged in Jan 2019. You could be right, but the optimistic nature in me will wait to prove you wrong by Jan 31st ;)

/cheers

• 2137 posts
    January 6, 2022 1:54 PM PST

philo said:

You will improve your VR comment insight and investigation skills after you've followed closely for  a few years.

I saw what you did there!

• 67 posts
    January 6, 2022 6:15 PM PST

SynSymbio said:

I feel like this would be a fun way to take skill level in a weapon type - and add passive and active abilities that you can slot on your bar. Like this:

Once you hit 50/250 in 1 hand blunt

- gain passive skill CRUSH - slight chance to hit for extra damage

Once you hit 100/250 in 1 hand blunt

- gain access to an activated ability SMASH - deal weapon damage plus (X) with (X%) chance to stun target for .5 seconds.

That to me is very interesting concept. And opens up even more tools for the limited action system. Really looking forward to hearing more about this.

• 295 posts
    January 6, 2022 10:28 PM PST

My take on ONE of the ways in which weapon choice matters comes from a mild(please note I said mild) inspiration from GuildWars 2. Not that your spells/skills are exclusively tied to a weapon, we already know it doesn't. But, that a 'Fire Staff' with STR used by a Warrior would enhance his weapon damage with fire damage or maybe enhance one of his martial skills that have some kind of fiery type component. Or, that the same staff would add extra damage to a Wizard's fire spell since they said STR could be used to make a Wizard's fire spells more effective. Maybe, depending on the weapon STATS, it would enhance the abilities/spells of the class or even add modifiers/upgrades like they do when you use your 'skill points' that you gain every level. A two-handed sword with INT would enhance a Warrior's parry skill or other some other ability tied to INT or give him an extra battle point while holding weapon. The same sword would enhance a Paladin's aoe holy spell or wrath generation.

That would be interesting.

• 295 posts
    January 6, 2022 10:31 PM PST

ShaggNasty said:

SynSymbio said:

I feel like this would be a fun way to take skill level in a weapon type - and add passive and active abilities that you can slot on your bar. Like this:

Once you hit 50/250 in 1 hand blunt

- gain passive skill CRUSH - slight chance to hit for extra damage

Once you hit 100/250 in 1 hand blunt

- gain access to an activated ability SMASH - deal weapon damage plus (X) with (X%) chance to stun target for .5 seconds.

That to me is very interesting concept. And opens up even more tools for the limited action system. Really looking forward to hearing more about this.

Kinda along the lines of what I was thinking. Good ideas.

• 810 posts
    January 7, 2022 4:44 AM PST
    I would rather see more generic effects where you are worried about mob physical resists and weapon accuracy changing instead of being generic. No need for every weapon to need 5% accuracy for every mob 5 levels higher than you. Mix it up a bit VR.

Pick your weapons for the mobs you fight.