Forums » Pantheon Classes

physician, heal thyself

• 2138 posts
    October 9, 2021 12:27 PM PDT

Should mele classes be able to attack themselves? cut themselves with a dagger or smash their heads with an axe? should caster classes be able to Crit on themselves? even to death?

I think so. I think it should be a thing from day one. You are not immune to your own spells/skills. If you target yourself and auto-attack? better hope your skill is not that great or else you are going to take a dirt nap.

• 2037 posts
    October 9, 2021 12:50 PM PDT

While I can see a world of complex possible strategies that open up in this scenario, I think that there are too many systems already in game related to targeting and the different categories of offensive/defensive target to implement this without major revision of what has already been created. Possibly on a PvP server, but I can't see it happening on PvE.

Interesting though.

• 223 posts
    October 9, 2021 8:03 PM PDT

Well in EQ you could cast a damage spell on yourself. Auto attacking would be problematic though.

I see something like this more suited to actions in a quest line, I.e. a prompt to shed some blood (hp) to open a magical door.

• 612 posts
    October 10, 2021 4:28 PM PDT

This brings to mind the old EQ message "You cannot attack yourself!" lol

While I think this might be funny where you could attempt to commit suicide by attacking yourself, I don't really think they need to add something like this.

Although I could see there being a special support function that would let you suicide/kill yourself if you are stuck in a geometry or something, but it shouldn't be something you can just do by accident because you clicked the wrong part of your UI before turning on your Auto-Attack.

• 422 posts
    October 11, 2021 3:06 AM PDT

Why?

• 67 posts
    October 12, 2021 7:13 AM PDT

Pantheon has an offensive and a defensive target (similar to Vanguard): Targeting an enemy will directly mark him as offensive target (and therefor as target for offensive spells/abilities), targeting a friend will mark him as defensive target (for defensive spells, etc). Without making everything very confusing and difficult to use, that targeting concept does not allow offensive spells on friends/yourself.

• 888 posts
    May 17, 2022 3:12 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Should mele classes be able to attack themselves? cut themselves with a dagger or smash their heads with an axe? should caster classes be able to Crit on themselves? even to death?

No. Players killing themselves is just one more thing the healer will get blamed for.

And in all seriousness, this limits game mechanics that trigger off damage received or HP remaining because these can now be exploited.